• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American history novels

telemark

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for my next book to read and thought this as good a place as any to get some American ideas.

Particularly I'm looking for something along the lines of 1800s American history, such as the civil war, the war of 1812, the trial of tears, perhaps even earlier, such as the war of independence (Hope I've got these all right!).

The main problem that I've run into, is that I'm not actually looking for a factual text, or history book per se. More of a novel, story book if you will.

Listened to Johnny Cash's America again recently and fancied something along those lines, but in paper form.

Cheers

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Killer Angels may be a little too straightforward historyish for you, but it is an awesome novel.
Cold Mountain

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gore Vidal wrote several novels set around the period you are talking about, the couple I read were very good.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For the civil war, you really can't go past Michael The Killer Angels and the sequel and prequel written by the son Jeffery Sharah (who also wrote about the Mexican-American War and the War of Independence). Cold Mountain is also a good read. Also of note is Brit author Bernard Cornwell's series Teh Starbuck Chronicles: http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index...e=1&seriesid=2 David Nevin has a new book out, simply called 1812 which has had some good reviews. Robert L. Worley also has a series set around the War of 1812. Finally, if you prefer alternate history and 'what ifs', Hary Turrtledove set several of his works in the US civil war. And, of course, Gone With The Wind is a classic.

PITAronin

Reaction score
A lesser-known, but totally wonderful writer you may want to consider is Howard Bahr. He has a trilogy of books set during and slightly after the Civil War (The Black Flower, The Year of Jubilo, and The Judas Field) that are very well-regarded. And, if you find that you like those books, he has a book about a railroad disaster on Christmas eve in 1940 (Pelican Road) that is - for me - superb.

telemark

Reaction score
Brilliant gentlemen. Thanks very much, I'll get my teeth into a good few of those.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am quite partial to the historical novels of Allan W. Eckert. Most of them are set on the American frontier in the late 18th and early 19th century--easy reading and very factual and accurate, more like dramatized history.

telemark

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I am quite partial to the historical novels of Allan W. Eckert. Most of them are set on the American frontier in the late 18th and early 19th century--easy reading and very factual and accurate, more like dramatized history.

Great, thanks for that, I'll look them up. Just ordered The Black Flower for £3, so cheers, PITAronin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads