1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

American Express Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MetroStyles, May 20, 2009.

1. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

I <3 Amex. I <3 everything about it. From the weeks and weeks of free nights and flights I have amassed with my SPG Platinum Card, to the absolutely brilliant Purchase Protection and Double Warranty programs, Amex comes through for the consumer with no hassle and no sneaky loopholes to screw their clients. I don't even know how it is possible for them to have such awesome service and benefits, but it is truly incredible in this day and age of crap customer service and the general death of brand differentiation.

Thanks Amex. I <3 you more each and every day. <3 <3. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Senior member

American Express sucks, they have one of the highest interest rates of any credit card out there, allot place's don't take their card, and when ever I called I always got someone who didn't speak english.

I think i like Visa better.

3. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

Amex has the most hassle free dispute policy, but the fact that I get called from India is really off-putting.Thinking about switching to a Southwest Airlines Visa. The rewards points on my blue card keep getting less and less too.

4. MetroStyles

American Express sucks, they have one of the highest interest rates of any credit card out there, allot place's don't take their card, and when ever I called I always got someone who didn't speak english.

Amex is not a good card for people who plan on carrying a balance. Interest rates do not matter when you pay off in full every month. I always do, so Amex works for me.

The fact that some places do not take their cards is too bad, but that's why you carry two cards. Always buy with an Amex for the purchase protection when possible.

Amex has the most hassle free dispute policy, but the fact that I get called from India is really off-putting.Thinking about switching to a Southwest Airlines Visa. The rewards points on my blue card keep getting less and less too.

What do you mean get called from India. I have never gotten an unsolicited call from India from Amex...or from anywhere for that matter. Blue kind of sucks, imo.

While the rest of you drunk dial old flames and skanks, I drunk dial Amex Customer Service and profess my love...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

The only cards I carry are AmEx and USAA MC. Lately I've been leaving the MC at home.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Can't shop at Costco without one or a debit card. Gas rebate makes it a no-brainer for me since I'm there practically every damn day.

7. flashback

flashback Senior member

This seems like a stealthy way to brag. I do love Amex though.

8. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

Interest rates are irrelevant when you use their charge cards.

9. MetroStyles

This seems like a stealthy way to brag. I do love Amex though.

Not bragging. But I just realized what a huge relief it is to be able to buy a new SLR before my trip to Asia and not have to be freaking out the whole time about it getting stolen as it's covered. That's peace of mind, and it's priceless (or at least the price of an SLR).

10. jbmarine

jbmarine Senior member

Where Neverland Ranch, Santa Monica, and the land
    I like mine though don't use it too often as I'd rather just pay in cash.

But yeah, as long as you always pay in full, it's a great card to have.

11. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

What do you mean get called from India. I have never gotten an unsolicited call from India from Amex...or from anywhere for that matter. Blue kind of sucks, imo.

No, never unsolicited. Yesterday I got called for a possible fraudulent charge and I couldn't understand the lady on the other end. Every time I call customer service I get a call center in India with a faint beeping in the background, like they are using some cheesy VOIP program. None of my other cards have ever sent me to India.

I like the blue card rewards, I might get the green one soon, but can't bring myself to pay an annual fee for a credit card unless the benefits are really something that I could profit from a couple times a year.

12. MetroStyles

No, never unsolicited. Yesterday I got called for a possible fraudulent charge and I couldn't understand the lady on the other end. Every time I call customer service I get a call center in India with a faint beeping in the background, like they are using some cheesy VOIP program. None of my other cards have ever sent me to India.

I like the blue card rewards, I might get the green one soon, but can't bring myself to pay an annual fee for a credit card unless the benefits are really something that I could profit from a couple times a year.

The trick with some of the fee cards is to call before the fee is assessed and say "You know I like this card, but I just can't justify the fee. I'd like to cancel."

Then they will waive the fee, at least sometimes. It's worth a shot.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

+1 &lt;3 my Amex Platinum. Mucho comps and a nice upgrade at The Venetian last year by using it. Amex Plat and Centurion/Black are the only CC's with any cachet left. &lt;3 the special events and concert seating available with the concierge services.

14. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

I love Amex. Their rewards program is by far the best.

15. EL72

EL72 Senior member

I have the Costco Plat Amex and it's fine but I use the MBNA MC more because it's the one offering SPG points here, not amex.

SPG, now there is the best damn loyalty program ever! My wife had platinum status when she worked as a mgmt consultant and the upgrades are awesome. We've stayed at the St. Regis, the best suite in the Essex House (when it was Westin) and tons of other great places. Even with gold status, I get excellent rewards and upgrades and almost never pay for hotels anymore.

16. Threak

Threak Senior member

I have a green and a gold, and never really use them. Should I?

I got them because they waived the annual fee, but I've only used one once to buy my laptop. I've heard of the benefits, but I guess they're of no use unless something goes wrong, right? Has anyone actually taken advantage of their warranty coverage or anything?

17. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Anything less than the Transparent Aluminum Amex is small-time.

18. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Agree AMEX is awesome card, I always pay all my cards in full, so never a problem. Even the blue Amex card has car rental insurance, something I find quite useful.

I would say get AMEX + either Visa or MasterCard, then you should be cover most of the time.

19. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Anything less than the Transparent Aluminum Amex is small-time.

+1

Purchase protection is also for small timers. Concern for money in such trivial amounts as a disposable piece of electronics is unseemly.

20. jbmarine

jbmarine Senior member

Where Neverland Ranch, Santa Monica, and the land
    Well don't the REAL big timers not pay their bills on time because they don't care if they're charged interest, fees, and other trivial things?