Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

American Express Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MetroStyles, May 20, 2009.

1. redcaimen

redcaimen Bigtime

The only cards I carry are AmEx and USAA MC. Lately I've been leaving the MC at home.

I wonder if this is a common combination because these are the only two cards I carry. USAA has pretty darn good customer service.

2. whusurdadi

whusurdadi Senior member

I prefer Chase's Freedom Visa over USAA - I had a fight with them years back, and I don't even remember what it was about

3. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

AMEX Global Assist - I think any AMEX user can use the service, but there's a fee...

Cool - didn't know I had that. Good to know, thanks [​IMG]

4. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

Cant express my love for my AMEX Blue Card enough. Great money back ($350 last year in cold hard cash I got back), hassel free everything, if I pay late they forgive me. its awesome. Provided you pay off your balance, then your fucked.

And 98% of businesses that take card will take amex.

5. rwjones

rwjones Member

I just got a voucher in the mail from AmEx: two entrees and a bottle of wine (that retails for $50 alone) at The Capital Grille, Washington, DC for $100.

6. cchen

cchen Senior member

Every time I call customer service I get a call center in India with a faint beeping in the background, like they are using some cheesy VOIP program.

The beep in the background is AMEX recording the call - they use this for training and quality control. I haven't had any issues with their customer service, whether it was routed to another country or not.

7. marin

marin Senior member

I agree with the OP. I have the AmEx Rewards Plus card, and the annual fee includes MR as well as extra cards for family members -- a good value for my needs. MR doesn't always offer the best redemption value, but it is the most flexible program IMO. I use my Capital One Visa when AmEx isn't accepted and for international purchases so that I avoid the currency conversion fee.

8. spertia

spertia Senior member

Doesn't AmEx charge an annual fee for their cards? I've never had a credit card that actually made me pay a fee just to be able to use it.

9. marin

marin Senior member

Doesn't AmEx charge an annual fee for their cards? I've never had a credit card that actually made me pay a fee just to be able to use it.

They offer a variety of cards -- some have an annual fee and others don't

10. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

I agree with the OP. I have the AmEx Rewards Plus card, and the annual fee includes MR as well as extra cards for family members -- a good value for my needs. MR doesn't always offer the best redemption value, but it is the most flexible program IMO. I use my Capital One Visa when AmEx isn't accepted and for international purchases so that I avoid the currency conversion fee.

The card I like best for anything done internationally is the Schwab Visa checking account - no foreign fees and no ATM fees, even abroad. I don't think it offers any points or rewards, but the rewards never compensate for the international fees in the first place.

11. marin

marin Senior member

The card I like best for anything done internationally is the Schwab Visa checking account - no foreign fees and no ATM fees, even abroad. I don't think it offers any points or rewards, but the rewards never compensate for the international fees in the first place.

That's their debit card, right? I've been thinking about switching to their Signature Visa card -- no annual fee, 2% back (deposited into Schwab account) and no foreign fees. With the recent card-related legislation, it's possible that the value of rewards will dwindle further; 2% is already quite good, and cash is king.

Signature cards are the best Visa-branded rewards cards. To issue Signature cards, banks commit to enabling cardholders to earn a minimum reward value of at least 1.5% IIRC.

12. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

That's their debit card, right? I've been thinking about switching to their Signature Visa card -- no annual fee, 2% back (deposited into Schwab account) and no foreign fees. With the recent card-related legislation, it's possible that the value of rewards will dwindle further; 2% is already quite good, and cash is king. Signature cards are the best Visa-branded rewards cards. To issue Signature cards, banks commit to enabling cardholders to earn a minimum reward value of at least 1.5% IIRC.
    That's what I meant - the Signature Visa debit card. It's great. I didn't even know about the 2% back actually. I got it for the lack of fees and travel-friendly conditions. Edit: I was wrong, I only have the debit not the Visa. That's alright though, I like my Amex rewards for domestic, and no-fee Schwab Visa debit for international. The Signature Visa does soudn excellent though.

13. briancl

briancl Senior member

That's what I meant - the Signature Visa debit card. It's great. I didn't even know about the 2% back actually. I got it for the lack of fees and travel-friendly conditions.

Edit: I was wrong, I only have the debit not the Visa. That's alright though, I like my Amex rewards for domestic, and no-fee Schwab Visa debit for international. The Signature Visa does soudn excellent though.

I recently switched from Amex Blue to the Schwab Visa Signature w/2% cash back. I had used Amex blue for about 5 years, and I liked it, but I crunched the numbers and realized that I'd be getting more cash back with the Schwab card. The ubiquity of Visa and the the free forex transactions made the switch a no-brainer.

I also suggest against using a debit card for anything other than withdrawing money out of the ATM. Compared to credit transactions, the recourse on a problematic debit transaction is much more difficult and in many cases impossible. Also, if someone compromises your debit card and steals money off the account, they have stolen cash. If someone compromises your credit card, they have stolen credit. Getting a merchant/bank to return actual cash is a lot more difficult than just wiping away a fraudulent credit charge.

14. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

No AMEX appreciation thread is complete without the Classic exchange between Kalra and Jon

15. JesseJB

JesseJB Senior member

I have my AmEx through Bank of America. Im neutral about because you can't access your account through Bank of America's website and it isn't recognized through AmEx's website because its a Bank of America card. Trying to find your card's benefits is another impossible feat. I've charged thousands on that thing and have never gotten any rewards...

Its almost as bad as my $35 per year US Airways BoA debit card that Ive been using for 2 years that still has a miles balance of "zero."