• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I the only one who does not like French cuffs?

chewy

Reaction score
French cuffs are pretentious and flashy. That can be a good thing if you're a stock broker, who's dress code is defined by pretentious attention-getting attire.

In the legal profession, for example, standing out because of your attire is a bad thing. Understated is key and elegant.

Black tie is a different story.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like FC shirts worn with very simple cufflinks. I do not like silk knots.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chewy
In the legal profession, for example, standing out because of your attire is a bad thing. Understated is key and elegant.

First of all, plenty of NYC lawyers (even junior ones) wear French cuffs; perhaps a lower percentage wear them in DC, but they're far from an oddity there.

Second, I just don't think most lawyers (or other professionals, for that matter) care that much about the details of how they dress to really care if someone's wearing French cuffs.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
I have very small wrists and I love french cuffs, to the point that I wear them with silk knots as part of my business casual work wardrobe (in clear disregard of The Rules). If the sleeve length is correct, I don't have a problem with too much material, and they look great under a suit sleeve.

+1 on all counts, especially wearing silk knots with biz casual.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of my dress shirts are french cuff, I swear by them. I would judge anyone less for wearing otherwise, it is a matter of personal preference and if french cuff don't work for you then you shouldn't have to use them.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love french cuffs and cufflinks but rarely wear them because of the preception of pretentiousness. Maybe when I'm older and more respected I'll be able to wear them.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mustapha
http://www.trendtailors.com/

Closeups of some pics that I posted in the 'watch Appreciation' thread awhile back. I knew these pics would do double duty this way.
mwink[1].gif
I think these cuffs look real smart - I hope more forumers here think of adopting them. They get adoring stares everwhere. C'mon, dare to be different.
thumbs-up.gif
-Moose

Good stuff. Unfortunately I can't get up to Canada to buy shirts... But if I could get these kind of cuffs, I'd certainly wear them.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About half my dress shirts are FC. How else to wear the kitschy links my wife and children insist on getting me?
lookaround.gif

penguin vic

Reaction score
French cuffs are pretentious and flashy. That can be a good thing if you're a stock broker, who's dress code is defined by pretentious attention-getting attire.

Riiiight ...
rolleyes.gif

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
after reading this thread, it somehow got me thinking about the convertability of the french cuff. i have a couple of regular mop button cuff links lying around that came with an old shirt. anyways, it struck me that folding a french cuff back and under itslef then rolling the inside edge (closer to your body) under the outside edge would give you a barrel cuff. using one of the mop cuff links to cinch the two ends together gives me a fairly invisible barrel cuff, esp to the causual observer.

some people might think you are a douche who doesnt know how to wear french cuffs, but i bet the people that would notice are a very small percentage. the only tell tell sign, imo is the cuff is not rounded or chamfered, but rather straight across. but i have a couple of barrell cuffs that do exactly this anyways. i guess the other might be the lack of stitching at the end.

i can post a pic if you like.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive seen some cuffs called "convertible cuffs" that let you do exactly that, but without the folding back. You just change the shape of the cuff and use a MOP button link if you want a barrel.

MyTailor offers them as an option. I've never seen them in person.

savilerogue

Reaction score
French cuffs are pretentious and flashy. That can be a good thing if you're a stock broker, who's dress code is defined by pretentious attention-getting attire. In the legal profession, for example, standing out because of your attire is a bad thing. Understated is key and elegant. Black tie is a different story.
I couldn't disagree more. I don't know whether it is due to geographical differences alone - here in the UK anyone serious in law or financial services would wear french cuffs with a business suit. If the cufflinks are subtle and there isn't too much cuff showing (up to 1/2 inch) then French cuffs are far more elegant than a single cuff IMO.

m_wave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PinkPantser
I like french cuffs for shirts to be worn under a jacket. If I'm not intending to wear a jacket i'll stick with barrel cuffs. Its good to have the variety of multiple types of shirt.

I agree with this, I think FC's look very clumsy and a bit dandy without the jacket.

Certainly for formal occasions, weddings etc I would wear FC with a suit..

Very hard to find silk links in Adelaide, Australia though
frown.gif

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I very rarely wear FCs anymore, I think they're a little fussy and I'm sans jacket quite a lot in the office too. It's a bit of a shame since I've got a few nice cufflinks and I do like cufflinks.

FCs without even a jacket is something I'd rather not thnk about.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads