• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I the only one who does not like French cuffs?

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theogt
Like most styles, they work for some people and don't for others. I personally have no french cuffs, nor do I ever plan to.

I notice that after making this post yesterday theogt was banned. Surely not for this insanity?
mwink[1].gif

At any rate, I like French cuffs though I only have about half a dozen shirts with them.

sweisman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mustapha
Am I the only one here with these things?
stirpot.gif

When I commissioned them, I thought they would be a halfway between barrel and French.

In fact, they are more attention getting than even FCs - I suppose because of the peculiarity of the curved cutout.

P1000396.jpg

I don't know what these are called, but they are different and I like them! Good call.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm considering single cuffs for future shirts. I think the look is a bit sleeker than double 'French' cuffs.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sweisman
I don't know what these are called, but they are different and I like them! Good call.

Thanks! Cocktail cuffs. Bond cuffs. Turnback cuffs. I had no idea they existed. My shirtmaker was wearing them.

Have yet to see one on anyone; and I get around in public places.

-Moose

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like french cuffs. In my opinion (I live in the UK), they are for formal dress only - black tie or weddings or similar occasions. If I see them in any other situation I think trying too hard. I was interviewed last year by a man wearing a black shirt with white cuffs and cuff links. I got the job, but his shirt choice gave me the impression he was what I have gathered American internet users call a douchebag, and I left his company three weeks later.
Incidentally my next boss wore short sleeved hawaiian shirts, but that didn't put me off nearly so much as the nasty black shirt with french cuffs.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see FCuffs on about 1/100 men that happen to be wearing dress shirts. I realize that's too cute a number but they're scarce.

-Moose

Where are you posting from? Here in NYC I would say I see them on at least 50% of the men. And I would say that they have been getting more and more popular each year. Ten years ago they were far rarer.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Cocktail cuffs. Bond cuffs. Turnback cuffs. I had no idea they existed. My shirtmaker was wearing them.

Have yet to see one on anyone; and I get around in public places.

-Moose

I think they look great. Who's your shirtmaker, if you don't mind me asking?

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
Where are you posting from? Here in NYC I would say I see them on at least 50% of the men. And I would say that they have been getting more and more popular each year. Ten years ago they were far rarer.

I'll concede that locale is important. I'm in Toronto. If by 'NYC' you mean Manhattan and the better midtown and downtown areas, then yes, I can see your point about 50% of the men.

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
I like french cuffs. But I only wear them for parties or meet ups. But when it comes to working while wearing them, they just get in the way too much. Barrell cuffs for that.

EasyGoing

Reaction score
Not for me. Jewelry, in general, doesn't fit my personality.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Huh? I have no clue how you drive or type, but I've never had a problem with the cuffs or the links.

To flat out say the concept of french cuffs is pretentious is a bit much.

Yeah, I don't know how you snag your french cuffs on the steering wheel or in the keys of your keyboard. Unless your French cuffs are nipple tassels. In that case, those cuffs are inappropriate.

Pretentious? Complete humbuggery!!!! Get thee to an insane asylum!

Just kidding. Although I think certain cufflinks can be considered pretentious. If they are too loud and big and glittery, then yes. But I wouldn't use the word pretentious. I would use the words "loud", "big" and "glittery." So if you're wearing nipple tassels, then maybe it is too "pretentious."

Also, I think cheap knot links work great on casual occasions without a tie.

scot

Reaction score
Wait, thin wrists an no panerai? What are you talking about man! I'm 5'11, 155, 6.25" wrists and I can wear my girlfriends panerai (177j) no problemo. Well, actually it is quite painful because if I don't immediately give it back I might have a finger or two broken but still. It looks good as long as she doesn't notice.

I have an omega PO, 42 and it works great as well. The 45.5 is where I run into issues though, thats a bit too large, panerai is perfect.

As for french cuffs, all of my "custom" shirts have them and I love 'em. Its just distinctive enough.

My HB and other "social" focused shirts are barrel cuffed since the designs or patterns sewn into them are what I hope sets them apart from the crowd.

I wouldn't mind a cocktail cuffed shirt like the previous poster had. Spill on the details, who/where? I wonder if Ricky could do a shirt like that?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is nothing pretentious in having French Cuffs.....i do know pratts buying multicolors Nike trainers made in Vietnam for more than £100 a pair and they do think that they're buying something great...

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scot
I wouldn't mind a cocktail cuffed shirt like the previous poster had. Spill on the details, who/where? I wonder if Ricky could do a shirt like that?

Originally Posted by Philosoph
I think they look great. Who's your shirtmaker, if you don't mind me asking?

http://www.trendtailors.com/

Closeups of some pics that I posted in the 'watch Appreciation' thread awhile back. I knew these pics would do double duty this way.
mwink[1].gif
I think these cuffs look real smart - I hope more forumers here think of adopting them. They get adoring stares everwhere. C'mon, dare to be different.
thumbs-up.gif

DSCF0055.jpg

P1000019.jpg

P1000017-1.jpg

2215_1011533332.jpg

-Moose

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics