• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alternatives to Paul Stuart suits (ny)

xct89x

Reaction score
The process is only as good as the firm or organization behind it. I’ve done about 5 Paul Stuart made to measure suits and have been very happy with both the process and the outcome.
Thanks! Being that PS MTM can be cheaper than their rtw suits, how much worse are they in quality, longevity (eg maintaining their shape, being fully canvassed etc.)

Ben W

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses. A lot of you are saying that the 1,5k “bespoke” suit I got was likely mtm based on the price. I got the suit from Alan David which advertised that they are entirely bespoke and made it seem as though I was dealing with the tailor himself the whole time. All bs?

Really not my place to say since I've never spoken with them or been in their shop but personally I would be incredibly suspicious of a $1.5k bespoke. As dieworkwear mentioned it is hard to imagine how they'd be breaking even let alone making any profit.
If it were me I'd want to know who is doing the cutting and where that is happening, where the sewing is happening, and what elements are hand done vs machine done.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks! Being that PS MTM can be cheaper than their rtw suits, how much worse are they in quality, longevity (eg maintaining their shape, being fully canvassed etc.)

A suit's quality is almost entirely in the fit and movement. Certain fabrics, such as flannel, can bag over time. But if you're using a good tailor, they will use the best fabrics in that specific class.

You mentioned earlier that you have a larger build, so you may want to think about how MTM works. All MTM is built off a block pattern, which is a pre-existing pattern that's adjusted through a CAD program. The garment's success is dependent on the manufacturing, the fitter/ fitting, and how far you sit from the block pattern.

If the manufacturing is good and the fitter is skilled, you can get a better garment if you're close to the block. MTM allows for a wider range of adjustments than what's possible by altering RTW. But it can't do everything. If you have a larger build, you may find it difficult to get enough length on the front balance, for example. Front balance means the coat's front length. Heavier figures need more front balance to cover their stomach.

At some point, a MTM process can't accommodate for enough front balance without throwing off other things. In those cases, a new pattern has to be drafted. But since you're working off MTM, the margins are slim and the tailor/ shop can't afford to draft you a completely new pattern and do multiple fittings. THis then would be the advantage of bespoke.

If someone has success with a MTM operation, that may not mean anything for you if you don't have a similar build. When trying out a MTM operation, see if they have fitting garments. This will give you a better idea of how far you are from the company's block pattern.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that the CustomLab suits are made in China. This doesn’t mean necessarily poorer quality but of course the cost structure is different from the RTW suits.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

there is Paul Stuart MTM and their CustomLab, CustomLab is made in China that is cheaper than their RTW, PS MTM still Samuelsohn and “can be” cheaper than RTW depends on which fabric you select

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
EBay buying Paul Stuart is very safe, no one bother to knock off that. Now the problem is you got to know the Paul Stuart models to know what you’re buying and check measurements to make sure it isn’t someone’s crazy butcher alteration job (then I guess not the for Japanese market stuff they’re different)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you like Paul Stuart mainline or Phineas Cole by the way, very different cut?

xct89x

Reaction score
Do you like Paul Stuart mainline or Phineas Cole by the way, very different cut?
Mainline, can’t fit into their unstructured/modern stuff bc of all the weight I put on. I own a few Italian suits from eBay that I like that I think are legit, wondering how to tell for past and potential future purchases, that might be my best bet. I don’t see a lot of Paul Stuart on eBay but plenty of zegna, corneliani etc

xct89x

Reaction score
there is Paul Stuart MTM and their CustomLab, CustomLab is made in China that is cheaper than their RTW, PS MTM still Samuelsohn and “can be” cheaper than RTW depends on which fabric you select
Ah, I see. Thank you very much for this clarification

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember seeing quite a few on poshmark and eBay? I mean just check measurement and ask seller for tag?

edit what’s your size?

xct89x

Reaction score
A suit's quality is almost entirely in the fit and movement. Certain fabrics, such as flannel, can bag over time. But if you're using a good tailor, they will use the best fabrics in that specific class.

You mentioned earlier that you have a larger build, so you may want to think about how MTM works. All MTM is built off a block pattern, which is a pre-existing pattern that's adjusted through a CAD program. The garment's success is dependent on the manufacturing, the fitter/ fitting, and how far you sit from the block pattern.

If the manufacturing is good and the fitter is skilled, you can get a better garment if you're close to the block. MTM allows for a wider range of adjustments than what's possible by altering RTW. But it can't do everything. If you have a larger build, you may find it difficult to get enough length on the front balance, for example. Front balance means the coat's front length. Heavier figures need more front balance to cover their stomach.

At some point, a MTM process can't accommodate for enough front balance without throwing off other things. In those cases, a new pattern has to be drafted. But since you're working off MTM, the margins are slim and the tailor/ shop can't afford to draft you a completely new pattern and do multiple fittings. THis then would be the advantage of bespoke.

If someone has success with a MTM operation, that may not mean anything for you if you don't have a similar build. When trying out a MTM operation, see if they have fitting garments. This will give you a better idea of how far you are from the company's block pattern.
Thanks for this info. I’ve purchased multiple China-manufactured MTM suits (indochino, black lapel, perhaps another I cant think of) and the fit was always great. But the quality was terrible, suits are literally falling apart at the seams 1 year from purchase. It’s just hard for me to imagine that even a more reputable company like Paul Stuart, when relying on a similar China-located manufacturer, would produce garments that are that much better. When I first saw the “lab” at their flagship store, it felt very much like they were trying to save their business from this onslaught of cheap MTM online companies and compete in this space.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads