• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Altering jeans

freakseam

Reaction score
Hello Gents: let's see, what's the quickest way to pose the question...
smile.gif
ok. here goes: -jeans come in a variety of fits, moreso than can be said of dress pants, etc. (i think), so in regards to alterations, is it true that there is more to be taken into account? -let's say one has a pair or three of which the fit is (was) excellent ----time goes by---- -now, the waistline needs to be taken IN (just about a size or a size and a half) 1. is it likely or not that the fit, upon alteration, will remain 'excellent'? ex.: you were a regular fit 34, but now a regular fit 32/33...will the alteration just apply to the waistline? any thoughts appreciated. i apologize if i failed to clearly ask this question...
smile.gif

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say that any kind of alteration on a pair of jeans - except shortening the legs - is a pretty dicey proposition. Either they fit or they don't, generally speaking.

If you've got an old, cheap pair, though, you could take them to a tailor you trust and see what they can do with them before you bring in the others...

mrprlover

Reaction score
I've been going to this tailor recently on several occasions, as my addiction to jeans has become err...well..an addiction.  
=]

After returning from Barcelona, getting back into soccer/weight-lifting, eating well and taking meds, I experienced the same. The 32/33 I was became a 30/31, sometimes a 29 depending on the cut/designer. Several jeans have been altered on the waist and they still fit the same. Of course you need to take into consideration the fit on your rear as well as the drop.  Has your size decreased in the rear/legs also causing for a smaller waist?  Being that I play soccer and once cycled heavily, my legs etc are the same so changing the waist was no biggie. It might be differently with you. One size down should not present a problem, but if things feel different in other places then it might not be worth it. Consider getting new jeans maybe.  Would you stay at this "new" size for long?

A side-note: I took a pair of pants that needed the waist taken in, but unfortunately adjusting the waist failed to remedy the fit. Things were a little loose in a certain areas and they had to make adjustments elsewhere. A good tailor should be able to take care of things.

Take a not-so-important/inexpensive pair first, notice how they come out and then decide accordingly.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somewhat related question:

I normally take a 32" length, but purchased a pair of express jeans at a very low price. They were a 30" length. They are low-rise, so they are somewhat do-able, yet still pretty short. Is there any way to alter them? I was thinking of slitting the threads at the bottom of the leg opening and letting that material out. Would all the fabric unravel? How much fabric would you think would be in the cuff down there?

mrprlover

Reaction score
VersaceMan: I say go for it. You wouldn't lose much in the process and it'd be good practice. If they're too long when you let it out they'll eventually get that scruffed-up "I-don't- care" jeans-dragging look if you know what I mean.  Are they bootcut?  

Looking at my jeans, it looks like the most you'd get would be about 1/2 inch of fabric, which might turnout exactly right or a tad short. Either way you have nothing to lose.  Also, from further inspection, the material inside doesn't appear finished - they could easily unravel.

Worst-case you can let them out and if it doesn't look right then sew them back up. (Assuming you took home economics in high school and can use a machine/needle and thread.)

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VersaceMan: I say go for it. You wouldn't lose much in the process and it'd be good practice. If they're too long when you let it out they'll eventually get that scruffed-up "I-don't- care" jeans-dragging look if you know what I mean.  Are they bootcut?  

Looking at my jeans, it looks like the most you'd get would be about 1/2 inch of fabric, which might turnout exactly right or a tad short. Either way you have nothing to lose.  Also, from further inspection, the material inside doesn't appear finished - they could easily unravel.

Worst-case you can let them out and if it doesn't look right then sew them back up. (Assuming you took home economics in high school and can use a machine/needle and thread.)
mrprlover:

Thanks a lot, I think I'll give it a shot. They aren't really a boot cut, more like a low rise with a straight leg...not tapered at the bottom yet they don't flare out. I think I'll try it this weekend, I'll just sew them back up if it doesn't work...or try it out with an old pair of junker jeans.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I regularly get my jeans altered. The seamstresses know how to make a good jean cuff, and they're pretty good at matching the thread color.

Shortening the legs isn't that big of a deal, but when you're getting into the waist and seat, things sound risky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads