• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit check (suit)

eMaus

Reaction score
Yes, the back shows it is definitely too tight through the midsection. Are the photos from showing the back taken with the jacket buttoned or unbuttoned? If unbuttoned then more major surgery in this area is required. If buttoned, I suspect letting out half an inch on each seam would be about right.

The jacket is buttoned in all but the one obvious photo, so unbuttoned I would assume it looks pretty okay. Instead of letting it out I think I'm just going to drop a few kilograms instead. Good motivation for me!

You are so close. That is a great looking suit on you. The waist suppression is too much or maybe too low. The waves on both sides above the belt tend to make me think the coat as taken in too low and is loose above the taken in area..

Thank you so much! I've always been afraid the shoulders are a bit too wide, but I've gotten used to it over time. I suppose the build of the TFs just have very articulated shoulders by default.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket is buttoned in all but the one obvious photo, so unbuttoned I would assume it looks pretty okay. Instead of letting it out I think I'm just going to drop a few kilograms instead. Good motivation for me!

a far healthier method.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
I don't know how late I am to the party: Shoulders not too wide at all, waist a bit too suppressed - I would let it out a bit and see what the slightly untidy upper back does, it may correct itself. Arms angle not ideal, but it's not bespoke. Otherwise not bad, nice full-canvas, makes me want to pinch it, good length on the jacket, one of your tie is too long, pants okay, but I like wider. A keeper.

Last edited:

Jan Capek

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who replied! I’m definetly seeing it now that everyone has pointed things out, so will likely try to adjust.

I have attatched a few product photos of the same suit. Seems the angle is pretty sharp here as well, however I personally like the Bond image posted by Phileas better. In any case, it may seem like it is a style choice made by the designer.

Also worth noting is that the champagne tie in my first photos is an inch or so too long. Simply a quick tie to get a feel for the color combo.

View attachment 1670048
View attachment 1670051
I think the jacket on the model is too short, which does not compliment his proportions. Off-balance, I don't like. Length seems better on you.

eMaus

Reaction score
I think the jacket on the model is too short, which does not compliment his proportions. Off-balance, I don't like. Length seems better on you.

Thank you. I have always been a sucker for longer jackets - a bit more traditional. I saw you commented on the arm angle not being ideal. Are you here reffering to the rotation of the "cylinder" that is the arm itself? In any case, how would you change it?

Jan Capek

Reaction score
Thank you. I have always been a sucker for longer jackets - a bit more traditional. I saw you commented on the arm angle not being ideal. Are you here reffering to the rotation of the "cylinder" that is the arm itself? In any case, how would you change it?

I agree. A bit more traditional, but also far more elegant. It's also sad that we are forced to label proper fitting jackets as "longer".

What I had in mind with respect to the sleeves is illustrated here: https://www.artofmanliness.com/style/good-fitted-suit-visual/ (section "Twisted Sleeves").

I should add, however, that one cannot be sure just by looking at pictures. It may be the way you're standing. You should let your arms hang freely and assess the situation yourself. As to what to do about it, a tailor could help, but it won't be cheap and most people won't notice anyway. This issue is what separates RTW from good MTM and bespoke.

Lastly, the upper back has a bit of a triangle (my lay term), which would signify that you have quite a different slope of shoulders than the jacket expects, or possess a flatter back, without prominent mid-to-low trapezius. Again, this is what separates RTW from bespoke, but a good tailor should be able to remedy this. More importantly, my experience with off-the-rack suits is that the triangle is exacerbated with excessive waist suppression. It would be interesting to see how the upper back changes after you have the waist taken out.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads