• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alterations Tailor in Downtown Toronto

SFAN

Reaction score
Magic Tailor sucks! He's rude, didn't understand what a ticket pocket is and doesn't communicate with you.

I've tested a few, and the best is Xavier Custom Tailors. I bring all my stuff to him now and it always turns out well. He listens to what you want, but gives good advice and lets you know if it will turn out well in his professional opinion. Also, if he doesn't think he can work with it, he won't make you waste your money in trying to fix it.

I find that his pricing is quite fair, too. Charged me $60 for adding surgeon cuff's (4 on each side) and shortening the sleeve.

He may be out of your way, but give Xavier a shot.
Thanks, will consider Xavier when the time comes! Any recommendation north of the city (Richmond Hill/Maple/Vaughan)?

NeedStyleHelp

Reaction score
Thanks, will consider Xavier when the time comes! Any recommendation north of the city (Richmond Hill/Maple/Vaughan)?

While I lived in Vaughan my whole life, I never took an interest in fit and clothing until I moved to Toronto, so no, sorry.

smoothmoose

Reaction score
I second all the above comments about Xavier, and agree about Magic as well. I still go to Magic if it's something simple. He treats me pretty well as semi-regular customer, and last time resewn my buttons for free.

@SFAN, not sure what's good inside the PATH, but if you want quality work, you might just have to make a side trip.

SFAN

Reaction score
Thank you all for the recommendation, I will keep that in mind. For now - I paid out of my pocket to have my shirt from Black Lapel remade. Hopefully second time's a charm, too much fabric from the upper/lower back and stomach the first time around.

clarkyin

Reaction score
I vote for xavier too but i wish he was a bit cheaper haha.

I'm trying to find someone who's in between xavier and a place like magic tailor,

priced just right for decent quality.

Spruce Moose

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for the East End? (Scarborough, Markham, etc)

I have an awkward body with fairly broad shoulders and large chest so I opt for a 42 to get the armholes/ chest to lay flat and not bow but then I need like a drop 8 in the waist so a lot of my jackets need waist surpression. I tried the tailor at Birchmount and Lawrence, and while he is great for easy jobs/ stain removal/ minor repairs, he butchered a jacket of mine while attempting to slim waist/ sleeves and it looks like crap and fits awful now.

Someone once recommended me a guy up Markham road towards Markham but I cannot for the life of me remember the name.

7smcb

Reaction score
Anyone have any updated advice on tailors in Toronto? I have a new jacket with unfinished cuffs and I'd like to have working cuff buttons made - any (ideally downtown or west end) leads?

Spruce Moose

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took the recommendation of a forum member and am trying sleeve lengthening of a Canali in Mississauga at Chase cleaners. I pick it up tomorrow and will let you know how it goes.

I also heard Spier and Mackay will do tailoring at a reasonable price even if you didn't buy it from them. Might try that out

Spruce Moose

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took the recommendation of a forum member and am trying sleeve lengthening of a Canali in Mississauga at Chase cleaners. I pick it up tomorrow and will let you know how it goes.

I also heard Spier and Mackay will do tailoring at a reasonable price even if you didn't buy it from them. Might try that out
Chase cleaners did an excellent job on the lengthening of the sleeves. When I have time later I will post some pictures. Thanks for the recommendation.

7smcb

Reaction score
Anyone have any updated advice on tailors in Toronto? I have a new jacket with unfinished cuffs and I'd like to have working cuff buttons made - any (ideally downtown or west end) leads?

Reupping my previous question - Xavier was pretty uninterested in doing surgeons cuffs for me - anyone have any recommendations?

Jaggery

Reaction score
You might try Espinosa Master Tailors on Davenport. You might also inquire about who will be doing the tailoring, since Ricardo Espinosa, who has gotten praise online, is not the only person working there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads