• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alterations Tailor in Downtown Toronto

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can't say enough about Studio Kim. I take everything to her.

I've used Magic Tailor too but Studio Kim is my go to.

Magic Tailor was my go to but now I moved close to Studio Kim so I tried her out. I like Magic Tailor, he did a lot of good work and didn't give me attitude when I brought it back because it was "a little off" (although he is naturally abrupt). I'm hoping Kim is as good - I will report back once I pick up my first batch on Friday. If it is good I will take my new suit there.

Last edited:

Rene_Lahm

Reaction score

Paul's, Bathurst just south of Wilson

So I know the parameters of this thread are the downtown core, but a few people have asked about North York, and mentioned Paul's Alteration/Tailor. Therefore, I will share my experience with them. Keep in mind this is the first suit I've had altered, and don't typically have clothing tailor, as I usually buy based on fit. That being said, I generally know what a good fit is, and isn't for me at least.

I had purchased a Jos A Bank suit while in the States that needed some work, as it was too big in the torso, and the pants were huge on me, and needed to be hemmed. I went to Paul's based on some recommendations from here, and one of the tailors, could be Paul, had me try the suit on. I asked to have the torso taken in and the jack slimmed down, which was not an issue. He said that he could not trim down the thigh area much due to the pants being pleated, which seems reasonable, but said he could taper the legs and that should help with the fit. The waist didn't need to be taken in, and he would hem the pants. He advised against cuffing, which I didn't ask for, but he basically said it was mostly for older people and children who are growing I guess. He basically advised against it for stylistic purposes. Cuffing seems ubiquitous around here, so I found that interesting. I was told it would cost $65.00 plus hst, which seems pretty fair given the work that he would be doing.

I picked the suit up a week later, he didn't suggest that I try the suit on first when making the payment. I tried it on when I got home and was really impressed with how much better the pants felt and looked after putting them on. I really hated how the pants looked and honestly were some of the most ill fitting pants I can remember trying on. But he really did a good job on them. The jacket was slimmed down and the torso taken in and fits much better than before. It's now quite a good fit. Overall, I had a good experience with them, and have a suit that I need to have altered for my wedding in July. This suit is of a much higher quality, and needs less work particularly on the jacket, but I'm sure they'll do a first class job on this one too. The tailor I dealt with at Paul's was somewhat abrupt and not one for a great deal of conversation, but it was also my first time there so I'll see how it goes during my next visit. The most important thing is that he performed quality work, for a fair price.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Studio Kim did a good job trimming some sweaters and pants. I will take my new suit there in the next few weeks and report back.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couture Custom Cleaners. I've been to most "luxury cleaners" and they aren't as good (Creeds, Dove, etc.) Couture is expensive ($50+), but my stuff comes back looking perfect.

mispoke

Reaction score
Would a tailor like Studio Kim know what alterations are needed to ensure a good fit for a suit?

Or would I have to have a pre-existing idea of what needs to be done prior to walking in through the door?

Last edited:

Mr_Elusive

Reaction score
I can vouch for Magic Tailor. He's done stuff for me other tailors wouldn't touch. I've been going there for years. Highly recommended.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would a tailor like Studio Kim know what alterations are needed to ensure a good fit for a suit?

Or would I have to have a pre-existing idea of what needs to be done prior to walking in through the door?

Most places you should know. I go to Kim and Magic Tailor but I always tell them what I want. If they tell them you want it "trim" they will give you a relatively conservative idea of what trim is, so it all depends on what you want. Unfortunately I learned through trial and error with getting my suits altered to really find what I like, but I doubt any tailor will be able to guess your personal style, it really is something you need to develop yourself.

dufferin1

Reaction score
Guys. Have some stuff at Magic Tailor. Dropped off yesterday and supprisingly, said they could do it all by Thursday. Really appreciate the rush job, hoping it doesn't comprimise quality.

Prices:

Pant slimming: $30
Let out waist/seat: $20
Hem: $10

Total: $67.80

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads