• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alright I'm home alone and I need to eat...

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeing as how the only female of the house is gone on vacation, I am left to fend for myself for food and niether me nor my dad can cook.

Firstly, I am only 17.

Secondly, my cooking supplies and skills are limited. Severely limited. The best I can do are some eggs, pasta, and fried rice, none of which I can do too well.

So, I need easy recipies, (EASY EASY EASY) that are both filling and relatively healthy (I can't eat Top Ramen for 30 days straight). I also need explicit instructions, as like I said, I have no cooking skills whatsoever.

On a side note, I have a small tiny round little charcoal grill of which I have no experience with but I would like to learn.

Any suggestions? There is literally no food left in my fridge but I can go out and get some more no problem. Just nothing too complex.

migo

Reaction score
make pasta. It's easy...bring water to a boil, turn off heat, put in the dry pasta, wait about 15 minutes, check if done (should be a little chewy, not melt-in-your-mouth soft), put in a bowl, pour pasta sauce over it, maybe some salt if you want, and you're good.

Also, check the steak thread if you want to start using that grill

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Scrambled eggs James Bond. Beat 2-3 eggs in a bowl with a small bowl along with some salt and pepper. Melt a couple tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat; add eggs and stir constantly until they're almost but not quite done. You don't want them to look dry in the skillet or they'll be too done on the plate. When they're solid but still moist in the pan, stir in another tablespoon of butter. Stir until the butter is melted and has combined with the eggs. Serve over toast. (Ian Fleming's original recipe, on which this is loosely based, also calls for chopped chives. If you have some handy, chop up some chives finely before you start cooking, then add them with the butter near the end.)

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really, it all depends on what foods you like.

There are many different meals that are very quick and easy to prepare.
One example is to get a couple of nice pieces of Atlantic Salmon, cover them in flour and pepper and then pan-fry them in butter. Serve with a side of steamed vegetables (broccoli, squash, thinly-sliced carrots) and sprinkle some lemon juice and salt over the fish. Takes about 15 mins to cook and is both tasty and healthy. Of course, you can also pan-fry or grill lamb chops, steak or sausages and serve with a side of assorted, steamed vegetables - once again, very quick and easy to prepare.

Things like salads and soups can also be very quick and easy to prepare, and yet are also usually quite healthy and inexpensive.

Another option is to get some bottled pasta sauce at your local grocery store, and then add some fresh vegetables, herbs and meat to it. This not only makes it taste better, but it bulks it up, too. For example, you could buy a jar of "pasta bake" sauce, and then add some sliced bacon or beef mince, some sliced mushrooms and perhaps some eggplant, some sliced bell pepper, and then pour it over some dried past in an oven-proof dish and add a little extra water (as the pasta will absorb the liquid). Sprinke some grated mozzarella or romano cheese over the top and pop it in the oven for 30 minutes or so. You should end up with a simple but quite tasty pasta casserole that will last you for a couple of days.

Your best bet is to get some beginner's cookbooks.
Such books set out quick and simple recipes, often designed for those who are not experienced at cooking and who don't necessarily have much time.

Cheers,
JH

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow thank you for all the help so far really, I'm getting by for now with take out food but my money is starting to run dry.

I think the next major task I will try to tackle is baked fish.

Does anyone have any suggestions for that?

offline100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Your best bet is to get some beginner's cookbooks.

Good advice. Get Joy of Cooking, flip through it, read the chapters on the basics, think of a few things you'd like to learn to make and look them up.

There are easy recipes for all kinds of meals out there -- just figure out what you want to eat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads