• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Vs. Ferragamo

which one?

• Ferragamo

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Allen Edmonds

Votes: 19 70.4%

• Total voters

smk

Reaction score
I'm trying to buy a solid pair of black shoes. I've narrowed down the design to the ones on links below and the likes.
I've been seeing many people rave about AE on this forum.
I feel the styling of ferragamo is more to my taste..looks sleeker I feel.
So what are the ups and downs of each pair of shoes?
and ultimately which would you get if price point was not a factor? why?
Thanks.

FERRAGAMO
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/product...0470cat000550cat10650732&parentId=cat10650732

AE park avenue
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/allen-e...n/2899180?origin=keywordsearch&resultback=579

ddonicht

Reaction score
I think you will find that both are going to have their fans as well as those that aren't big on them. From what I've seen, both put out a decent product (in general). If you like the looks of one better, that is the one you should choose.

lostron

Reaction score
both are great shoes but imho the ferragamo pair is a bit sleeker if you like that look. I own a pair from both brands and generally speaking the Allen edmonds are a bit heavier and they have more heavy leather if that makes sense.. In terms of comfort, they are both great but the AEs get more comfortable as you use them more because of their design and welt.

Best bet is to try both and buy the pair you like more and fits better

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks are important, but fit trumps style. AE shoes are available in various widths in every size with many custom options. Buy what fits you best.

I'd go with the AC Park Avenue as it is available in most versatile merlot and not just boring black only worn after dark..

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Fantino has a rubber sole and is part of the lower quality line. I would pass on this model, go with the Lavorazione Originale line or Tremezza instead.

I have both Ferragamos and AEs, and I will say that the styling and fit are a bit better on the Ferragamos I have. The AEs have thicker leather and better price point though. At the price you are looking at, if you like the AE styling, buy them and save some cash. If you don't, try C&J instead of the lower Ferragamo line at that price range.

Last edited:

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score
Looks are important, but fit trumps style. AE shoes are available in various widths in every size with many custom options. Buy what fits you best.

This. I will never fit into a Ferragamo, so AE gets my vote. In fact, I own those very shoes.

HughJ

Reaction score
I own several pairs of each (including Ferragamos of every price point), and find even the lowest end Ferragamos (Studio) more comfortable than AE. That's not at all to say AE are uncomfortable, but rather that you don't have to compromise style in this case. Get the style you prefer - I'm fairly certain you'll find either comfortable.

smk

Reaction score
thanks for the replies. One of the posters mentioned rubber soles on the ferragamos. What does the park avenues have? And are rubber soles bad?
Thanks

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks for the replies. One of the posters mentioned rubber soles on the ferragamos. What does the park avenues have? And are rubber soles bad?
Thanks

I checked the Fantino model at Bloomies today, not only were the soles rubber, but there was no stitching on the insole or outer sole. More likely held together by glue, not what you want for a $450 dress shoe. Key is to look for calf skin leather, goodyear welt or blake stitched construction, & a leather sole. So go for the AEs, they hit all of those points. Enjoy...

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I checked the Fantino model at Bloomies today, not only were the soles rubber, but there was no stitching on the insole or outer sole. More likely held together by glue, not what you want for a $450 dress shoe. Key is to look for calf skin leather, goodyear welt or blake stitched construction, & a leather sole. So go for the AEs, they hit all of those points. Enjoy...

+1

The extra $$$$$ is for the Ferragamo brand name. The AEs have an overall better construction. If you like the Ferragamo look, you can get a chisel toe shoe like the C&J Hallam. You can also buy an Alden plain toe on the Plaza last for the same or less than the Ferragamo.

reidrothchild

Reaction score

Thanks

Park Avenue has a leather sole. Leather soles are more formal. I don't think rubber soles are bad, per se. Though one of the boot makers who is a forum regular says that a rubber sole doesn't allow the leather upper to breathe or flex like a leather sole would. Rubber will last longer, but if you want a dressier look, go with a leather sole.

smk

Reaction score
I went with the Crockett & Jones Hallem.
Thanks everyone and especially the one who introduced me to this fabulous pair of shoes!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads