• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds - Blobby?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ BSD.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by gnatty8
That black perforated captoe in the front looks wonderful, which model is this, does anybody know?

Byron.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the current exchange rate, the C&Js can be had for about $300; the AEs for $280-ish (both + shipping), so it likely comes down to a matter of which last fits better, eh?

jcc123

Reaction score
Sorry, they still look blobby to me. Only AEs like the Soho don't have that blobby look that's old fashioned. The square toes in the mid 90's are ugly also.

Sid

Reaction score
I love the AEs, can't stand the chisel-toe C&Js (and I have a pair my wife bought for me). I agree with JLibourel, the AEs look like a man's shoe, not "elegant" or "sleek".

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just found this post and started from the beginning and was thinking two thoughts:

1. If someone said these were EG's or C&J's everyone would have had a circle jerk on his spare laces and then asked him to post more in the shoe Appreciation thread

2. The shape looks conservative enough to be on the sleeker end of what AE is capable of but the finish looks a little nicer than what I am used to out of AE - Love the color! (Now I wish it were AE).
eh.gif

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spark
With the current exchange rate, the C&Js can be had for about $300; the AEs for $280-ish (both + shipping), so it likely comes down to a matter of which last fits better, eh?

Perhaps, but AEs can often be had at heavy discount which is not the case for C&J's. FWIW.

dano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
^^ You people are scary as hell. Some have been here for, like what, 3 months yet already naming names; the OP was just having some fun, a troll he's not.

I'm assuming you mean me. I agree that the OP is not a troll, and I agree that this thread is fun, I was defending the OP from being called a troll, actually. I'll stop now because I seem to be treading on some toes.
boxing[1].gif

JeffsWood

Reaction score
This was all in fun guys. When I saw my Strands and Westfields side by side, I couldn’t resist posting this and letting SF nature take it’s course.

Shoes should never be a serous topic, but rather a pleasant diversion.

JW (too tall and well dressed to be a troll)

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
This was all in fun guys. When I saw my Strands and Westfields side by side, I couldn't resist posting this and letting SF nature take it's course.

Shoes should never be a serous topic, but rather a pleasant diversion.

JW (too tall and well dressed to be a troll)

I can assure you, some of the finest trolls on the interwebz are impeccably dressed..
laugh.gif

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by overdog
Jeff, when you first posted this thread the first thing that came to my mind was an old thread from 2 years ago where josepidal pulled pretty much the same trick. Yet I ended up falling for your trick anyway. At least I didn't make myself look stupid.
smile.gif

:)

I was actually thinking of another thread where the OP put AE's and EG's side by side and there sure wasn't much differene in shape.

Yachting Man

Reaction score
Honestly, AE's look too chunky / clunky. Aside from that I'm really not a fan of their calfskin. This is based on my purchase of two pairs several years ago. I tried them for 2 months, found then uncomfortable and then donated them.

EDIT: just realized someone has awaken this thread from a deep slumber.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads