• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mean Mr Mustard

Reaction score
Just got AE's email re. belts. Do they not sell any burgundy belts? Do they sell them sometimes? And a related question: Last fall sometime, AE had a special merlot run, where they offered the Strand and 5th Ave in merlot for a short time. I've only been following AE since last spring (15 pairs since then, which on this forum is probably par for the course!) so I was wondering if anyone knows whether this is something they do every year (or most years). If not, I might try looking elsewhere.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just got AE's email re. belts. Do they not sell any burgundy belts? Do they sell them sometimes?
I was looking for a decent burgundy belt and ended up going with this from Gustin a few months ago. It doesn't work well for wear with worsted wool (...alliteration not intended) but looks fantastic with chinos and especially denim. Price has since been bumped up to $85 plus shipping on the latest run; still worth it.

For dress use, I'm still holding out hope that someday I can steal a 34" #8 shell belt on eBay from a seller who doesn't know what he's got. ;)

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it true the Shoebank occasionally sends out unwearable pairs?

Of 12 pairs received from shoe bank (all at outstanding prices), 1 pair had to be returned.

There was a 1/2 inch difference in back-of-boot height in a pair of rothsay boots. The left one tied above my ankle, the right tied 1/2 inch lower, at a wide point of my ankle.

For me, they were unwearable. Except, I wore them out before realizing why they felt so different, left to right. AE took them back despite the wear, once they looked at the difference.

Your odds are very good, but nothing is assured until they are on your feet.

reidrothchild

Reaction score

Different last. Much more generous, girthy toe. Also more casual welt and edge detailing. Overall slightly chunkier and crunchier. Closer to a stitched desert boot.

But yes, very similar.

You know, I read on AE's website that the Mojave last was supposed to be more generous than their previous boots. I've never tried on the Amoks, but the Malverns were way too tight in the toes in my normal 11.5D, so I went ahead and ordered the 12D in the Mojave. I compared them to my 12D Malvern, and I really can't tell a difference visually in width at the toe or in the way they feel.

rostov

Reaction score
Picked up a pair of Banchory longwings in blue this morning in 10.5EEE for only $107. Saw them pop up on the shoebank last night and called first thing this morning.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Just sent an email to my retail SA this morning about getting a pair of firsts that are out there. Tried them on in store when they were in the 165 clearance range but decided on some Patriots instead. Now at 137 and 35 off (SA agreement) can't beat that. Hopefully it wasn't the one I tried on with the messed up welt :/

mmmtttt

Reaction score
For those worried about the width of the amok, they stretch out a lot width wise. I couldn't wear mine more than 5 minutes because they would hurt on the sides, but after 15 wears they're my most comfortable AEs

Edit: damn phone

Last edited:

Mean Mr Mustard

Reaction score
I was looking for a decent burgundy belt and ended up going with this from Gustin a few months ago. It doesn't work well for wear with worsted wool (...alliteration not intended) but looks fantastic with chinos and especially denim. Price has since been bumped up to $85 plus shipping on the latest run; still worth it.

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind, as I do need one for casual use also. Actually, though, now that I've moved from my iPhone to my computer and checked AE's website, I see they do have several burgundy belts available.

kentyman

Reaction score
For those worried about the width of the amok, they stretch out a lot width wise. I couldn't wear mine more than 5 Mina because they would hurt on the sides, but after 15 wears they're my most comfortable AEs

That really shows that persistence isn't futile.

htjouster

Reaction score
Anyone have experience/thoughts on the burgundy shell Bradley? Thinking of trying it if the rumored mid-September shell sale happens.

Olifter

Reaction score

Just got AE's email re. belts. Do they not sell any burgundy belts? Do they sell them sometimes? And a related question: Last fall sometime, AE had a special merlot run, where they offered the Strand and 5th Ave in merlot for a short time. I've only been following AE since last spring (15 pairs since then, which on this forum is probably par for the course!) so I was wondering if anyone knows whether this is something they do every year (or most years). If not, I might try looking elsewhere.

The Merlot Strand was burnished and I picked up a pair as a web gem. I ordered them through the local store and the associate mentioned they might add them to the regular lineup. So there is a chance. I picked up a burnished Merlot Manistee belt at the same time.

OptoDoc

Reaction score

Oh my:

While I think the first one might be a cool flashy "event" shoe, if one were somebody like a Robin Thicke, but does one wear something like that to the office?

Of course, I can totally see this selling to men who who want to impress the girlfriends/wives that they coerced into the local AE retail store. This is the sort of shoe that a woman might love, for what that's worth. I can totally see a few ex-girlfriends of mine (not my wife, though) recommending this one to me...

I'm eager to see the rest of the new boots, etc. When can we?

A friend of mine that I turned onto AE sent me this pic today of his new purchase . I really can't find a place for these on any scale of formality. A black captoe Balmoral with a suede upper? Plain silly to me.

I didn't have the heart to talk him out of it as he was giddy as a schoolgirl about them.

OptoDoc

Reaction score

Remove the cap and replace the black calf with patent leather and you've got yourself a tuxedo shoe. The only shoe (boot, really) that gets my attention this fall is this one here: It's pretty out of the box and I expect the pull-up leather on this one might patina nicely. The grain version is also growing on me, but I'm already sporting a pair of Dukes. Mostly, however, I'm turned off by the leather sole. My need for such a boot is largely at odds with a leather sole: I want something with at least a mini-lug to take a beating through the NE winters.
Agreed, love this boot. Looks a lot like a Redwing Beckman. No idea why they'd put a leather sole on such a piece of footwear. If the MTO waiver was still around I'd order a pair with a mini lug sole in Bob's Chili... Alas.

Last edited:

OptoDoc

Reaction score

After 1 year and change I finally made a perfect cup of coffee in my Chemex today....nothing to do with shoes but thought I would share.

I just bought a Chemex today! What is your perfected technique?

(sorry to hijack the thread, feel free to answer with a PM... Or not answer at all if it's topsecret)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads