• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What is a "7 Iron Leather sole?"

"Iron" is an ancient measurement used for the thickness of leather. One iron measures 1/48 " (or approximately 1/2 mm.) The 7 iron leather sole will be quite thin (obviously intended for casual summer shoes). The standard thickness for leather soles is 11 - 12 iron (5.5 - 6 mm).

Sometimes you see in shoe catalogues the thickness of the sole edge got measured in iron. That is the combination of welt, middle sole (if used) and outer sole.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is a "7 Iron Leather sole?" Google seems to indicate that it is a sole "weight." Does that translate to thickness? Or is it just marketing nonsense like "brush off leather?"
Yes, Iron is the measurement of thickness for leather soles. The "Italian" shoes use a thinner sole, usually 7 or 8 iron. I would say it is close to a thin single leather sole.
I am sure if @MoneyWellSpent is available, he can give a much more detailed description.

Loucks

Reaction score
Thank you for the informative responses. I'm surprised that didn't turn up on Google, but my terms must have been suboptimal.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is a "7 Iron Leather sole?" Google seems to indicate that it is a sole "weight." Does that translate to thickness? Or is it just marketing nonsense like "brush off leather?"

"Iron" is an ancient measurement used for the thickness of leather. One iron measures 1/48 " (or approximately 1/2 mm.) The 7 iron leather sole will be quite thin (obviously intended for casual summer shoes). The standard thickness for leather soles is 11 - 12 iron (5.5 - 6 mm).

Sometimes you see in shoe catalogues the thickness of the sole edge got measured in iron. That is the combination of welt, middle sole (if used) and outer sole.

Yes, Iron is the measurement of thickness for leather soles. The "Italian" shoes use a thinner sole, usually 7 or 8 iron. I would say it is close to a thin single leather sole. 
I am sure if @MoneyWellSpent
 is available, he can give a much more detailed description. 

Good question and answers. Interesting that they chose to make these Goodyear welted; the Italian collection shoes are all Bologna construction and made in Italy. They have to use that thin sole to try to reduce the bulk compared to the Italian shoes. You can still tell it is heftier, but they did a pretty decent job.

YoungSweet

Reaction score

Completely forgot that detail.

I'll be in consulting, so we'll be in suits unless the client requests us to be casual.

I was in consulting for 10 years, mostly business casual although I choose to wear suits a lot more than others. I think a cap toe will be appropriate in most environment, most will recommend the Park Avenue, but personally like the Fifth Avenues a bit more. The other pair can be a wingtip, McAllister is starter but you upgrade to the Jefferson if you want the premium leather. I also like the University in the 3 last which doesn't get much love around here. To me, it's a bit sleeker and a unique wingtip.

You also have to make a choice for colors. I jumped on the black Park Avenue bandwagon as my first grown up shoes, they are now my least used shoes in the rotation. I don't wear black shoes as much as I initially thought. Brown, bourbon, burgundy, chili and walnut are much more versatile in my opinion.
Good luck and welcome to the thread. Everyone here is very helpful and knowledgeable so feel free to ask questions.

Pastor

Reaction score

Completely forgot that detail.

I'll be in consulting, so we'll be in suits unless the client requests us to be casual.

Probably the most standard answer is going to a Black Park Avenue and a Walnut Strand. These are also two of AE's most popular shoes.

I'm in suits about every day and I wear both of these equally. As a minister I do wear black a little more than most people though so you can take that into consideration.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really do not understand why an american shoe company makes italian styled loafers.

I'll wager it's because they probably sell enough of them for a tidy profit.

People with wide platypus feet like mine might bite due to limited options in this style

Last edited:

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll wager it's because they probably sell enough of them for a tidy profit.

People with wide platypus feet like mine might bite due to limited options in this style

A valid point, I usually view things through the prism of my standard size feet.

AE's business model is obviously working for them, some of the newer models are less than inspiring IMO.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really do not understand why an american shoe company makes italian styled loafers.

Someone (may have been Vincenzo) once told me that they started offering them years ago due to customer requests, and they've been steady sellers ever since.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A better question might be why Allen Edmonds decided to call an "Italian Style" shoe "Torrance", a very non-Italian rather downmarket city in Southern California known for malls (both open and abandoned), car dealers, closed industrial plants, and traffic signals that take five minutes to change.

Palm Drive is at least a street in Beverly Hills. We lived on the 400 block of South Palm Drive in Beverly Hills when Harry S. Truman was President. Here's a picture of me checking my shoes (not Allen-Edmonds shoes) when we lived on South Palm Drive.

cincikid

Reaction score
So I already own the AE suede water protector spray. Is there any reason for me to spend more money on the expensive Tarragon Nano to waterproof my new MacAllister MTO? Or is what I have adequate?

I use Tarrago and can't recommend it enough. I don't think regular sprays add a comparable level of protection.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to pick up a pair of Patriots, any long term thoughts on them? Still haven't decided between calf, and cordovan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads