• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
essentially bulletproof..

O'rly...Challenge Accepted!

Im not in the states so no need to fear of your shoes getting shot at from me :p hope they hold up to the winter and ammo though.

Last edited:

Pastor

Reaction score

Is it normal to have some folds develop in the leather with time or do you undo that entirely with shoe trees if you use them religiously?

I have shoe trees for my daltons, but am in the process of getting either plastic or wooden ones for the other pairs of shoes I own. Till then I've been stuffing many of them with newspaper.

Also, how do you guys winterize boots. I'm going to be wearing my daltons through the boston winter. I'd rather not destroy them due to salt, etc,  the first year of having them. I have timberland workboots for the truly nasty days.

Thanks again!

Creases (or folds as you say) will develop with all shoes. Proper fit will minimize this but it is not avoidable. Get wood shoe trees as the wood removes the moisture from the shoes. Newspaper actually will work but does little to keep the shape of the shoes. Nordstrom Rack has shoe trees for cheap (around $12?pair) or Jos. A. Bank will have sales periodically where you can get 3 or 4 for the price of one. The boot question has already ben answered in a previous post.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The day those came out, I emailed AE in hopes of obtaining a pair -- but that last doesn't exist in AA widths so I was hosed. Please post a photo so I can live vicariously through it!

Nice! Yeah, I strongly considered it, but in the end couldn't justify it's place in my wardrobe. Eager to see yours though!

They grew on me. The bourbon Hanover became my favorite shoe on the website, so I'm glad that I was able to get them. At that price, they're much more reasonable. I picked up a pair of walnut Franciscans too.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just did my Long Branches and Bayfields with Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Protectant, on advice from our very own Cold Iron. It was a bit of a process, using a blow dryer and whatnot, but I very much have the impression that they are now essentially bulletproof. Or winterproof, anyway.

I guess I should do this to a few pairs of boots/shoes I plan on wearing through the winter. Luckily I picked up a pair of used cole haan 'waterproof' chukkas at a great price recently, so I won't have to wear the nice boots out in weather that's too icky! Between Obenaufs and the tims/ch's I should be set.

Heh. I'm starting to put together a shoe kit of sorts. 2 brushes and perhaps some polish to keep things going nicely.

Creases (or folds as you say) will develop with all shoes. Proper fit will minimize this but it is not avoidable. Get wood shoe trees as the wood removes the moisture from the shoes. Newspaper actually will work but does little to keep the shape of the shoes. Nordstrom Rack has shoe trees for cheap (around $12?pair) or Jos. A. Bank will have sales periodically where you can get 3 or 4 for the price of one. The boot question has already ben answered in a previous post.

Thanks pastor. I'll keep an eye out for those sales then. I only have a couple of pairs of shoes worth putting trees in. Some of the others are probably not even worth being resoled...

Last edited:

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
I guess I should do this to a few pairs of boots/shoes I plan on wearing through the winter. Luckily I picked up a pair of used cole haan 'waterproof' chukkas at a great price recently, so I won't have to wear the nice boots out in weather that's too icky! Between Obenaufs and the tims/ch's I should be set.

Heh. I'm starting to put together a shoe kit of sorts. 2 brushes and perhaps some polish to keep things going nicely.

Thanks pastor. I'll keep an eye out for those sales then. I only have a couple of pairs of shoes worth putting trees in. Some of the others are probably not even worth being resoled...

FYI, Jos Bank shoe trees are half off now. only $12.

V1KTA222

Reaction score
Got a pair of black shell park aves this weekend from the shoe bank. Seem to fit really well and I like the look of them. However, the leather on the toe box is slightly pebbled or dimpled, like the surface of a golf ball. Is this something that can be buffed out with time? Not a big deal, but it distracts me when I look down at my feet.

Here is a pic: it captures what I am talking about, but it is a little more pronounced in real life.

Edit: pic wasn't loading from my tablet. Here it is:

Last edited:

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cant stop reading this thread. This is bad. I bought my first pair of AE in 2011, and it stayed that way until this August. Now I have 3 pairs (all calf) and just took the leap into cordovan with a brown shell jefferson on the way hopefully this October.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Those are great!

Thanks man! $299 makes them even greater. They were a bit scruffy, and this is after one little session of TLC. I'm hoping they will just get better. In bright daylight they're already showing that weirdly cool shell cordovan patina. I'm really loving them so far.

tietherope

Reaction score
I didn't buy the Strand webgem as I was waiting for the sale today, but now the cordovan Strand is no longer on the website. Quite disappointed.

mavrik13

Reaction score
I think I remember the shoebank mentioning shipping to Canada was $40 for the first pair and $5 for each additional, but can any Canadians speak on if that covers all tax/duties etc?. I just want to be sure I wont get hit with any big additional charges upon delivery if I place an order tomorrow.

No duties/taxes, but more often then not you will have to pay taxes plus a $10 brokerage fee.

bucksfan

Reaction score

I didn't buy the Strand webgem as I was waiting for the sale today, but now the cordovan Strand is no longer on the website. Quite disappointed.

Call up AE or even one of the outlets (they can order firsts, I believe). None of the web gem shoes are showing as available, may be a glitch, may be a plan, not sure.

tietherope

Reaction score

Call up AE or even one of the outlets (they can order firsts, I believe). None of the web gem shoes are showing as available, may be a glitch, may be a plan, not sure.

You're right, I saw the other styles and thought it was only the Strand missing but now see there is no brown for any of them.

They probably pulled it from the sale so those that just spent $550 won't be upset.

MKJ1

Reaction score

I'm in the same predicament, but Sherman Brothers has them at the sale price. They might show up on the AE site later

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cordovan webgems were set to expire on the 29th (yesterday). If you want them now, I believe MTO is your only option.

I can't remember the strands ever being offered in brown shell before. Park avenue was always black or burgundy, I believe.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
The cordovan webgems were set to expire on the 29th (yesterday). If you want them now, I believe MTO is your only option.

I can't remember the strands ever being offered in brown shell before. Park avenue was always black or burgundy, I believe.

Brown Cordovan Strands have been apart of AE's regular Shell Cordovan collection for at least the last two years. I didn't realize that AE was going to discontinue them either after their time as a webgem expired.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads