1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Few weeks ago. Navy PA
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Nice. Is this calfskin? I wonder if this leather is still available for MTOs.

3. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I actually re dyed grey PA into this ! Ae standard navy calf is almost black.

1 person likes this.
  4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Haha, I'm seriously contemplating picking up paids of AE's on ebay to re-dye them into colors I want. Do you have any issues with the color running and rubbing off on your pants? What happens when it's wet?

Side note, how do people feel about the AE Shell Leeds in black? Does anyone have pictures to post?

5. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Once you prep the leather and re dye its permanent. I think its best to do it on a brand new pair. Mine looks like it came in navy from the factory line. :slayer:

6. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

They were my first shell shoe, so my enthusiasm may be explained by nostalgia, but I like mine a lot with jeans or corduroys.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Thanks! Keep them coming. I'm considering a pair. I don't usually wear black shoes but I have a pair of captoes that I like as well as a pair of wingtips I need to toss (awful fit not AE). I'm not a huge fan of PTB's but have a feeling that I'd grow to like these since they're so simple and would probably go with just about anything in a slightly dressy wardrobe or even with a suit perhaps.

8. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

I need some opinions... Got my burg leeds and walnut strands from the recent seconds sale.

The Leeds I can live with, the strands I'm torn on.

Canted toe cap, this seems more noticeable than what I've seen on other seconds. It likely wouldn't bother me as much if the right shoe wasn't bang on and looks so much better as a result.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  9. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Ok I will bite, what is a canted toe cap? I think they look great.

Have my Rush St's on, they are the tightest shoe I have tried on the 65 last...that said they are starting to loosen up a bit and look great. Now I realize why the Dainite sole is priced the way it is from B Nelson on a remake - I did not realize it ran the length of the shoe. These shoes were like third's or fourth's not seconds however I am thrilled with them as I am starting to realize no one but me looks at my shoes for more than a tenth of a second.

The Shaker Heights made it through a full day of work and 3 plus miles of walking in NYC on their very first wearing with no foot discomfort at all - Very impressed. I did have to tighten the laces every few hours as they started to break in. Looking to go to the flat lace for them.

Had my first shoe polish mistake - used AE leather cleaner/conditioner on the Shaker Heights then applied neutral polish. Thinking I did not let the AE cleaner dry long enough before applying the polish as a very faint cloudiness started to develop- Mac'd them when I got home last night while the shoe was very warm and they were fine. If it happens again I will strip my Neutral polish apply leather lotion then use the Chili Polish.

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

If that's the only issue, id probably keep them. But if it's going to nag at you, then return them and just hold tight until firsts go on sale at Nordstrom over the summer.

11. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Sadly, no. I am either 9.5 or 10D depending on the last.

12. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

~~cant 1 (kănt) n. 1. Angular deviation from a vertical or horizontal plane or surface; an inclination or slope. 2. A slanted or oblique surface. 3. a. A thrust or motion that tilts something. b. The tilt caused by such a thrust or motion. 4. An outer corner, as of a building. v. cant·ed, cant·ing, cants v.tr. 1. To set at an oblique angle; tilt. 2. To give a slanting edge to; bevel. 3. To change the direction of suddenly. v.intr. 1. To lean to one side; slant. 2. To take an oblique direction or course; swing around, as a ship.

The left toe cap perfing is noticeably off square to the rest of the shoe.

1 person likes this.
  13. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Shell Daltons today:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. seven7seven

seven7seven Senior member

I am hoping to pick up brown 5th aves/strands in the next 2-3 months, are there any sales/deals to look out for? Can't wait til Nordstrom sale in mid-June though

15. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Ahaaaa fancy word for crooked....I see it now and still would keep them based on the price...though if the fear of having someone tape a note on your back that says "Canted Toe Cap" with an arrow pointing down then by all means return them. :) As was stated by another member if you are not happy with them wait for another sale there is always one right around the corner.

Those shoes and the Bourbon Mora 2.0's are ones I look forward to adding to my stockpile down the road.

16. Xchange

Xchange Active Member

Hi Gents,

I have a question for you, what will be the best shoes to add to a collection when i already have those one :

- McNeils - Wallnut - 10D
    - Strand - Brown Suede 9.5E
    - Strandmok - Navy 9.5E
    - Kenwood Penny Loaffer - Brown 9.5D

I'm thinking to get the Promontory point in 10.5 Football brown for the winter but in same time, i read few review where the people had issue with the sole separating with the shoes and... we are at the end of this crazy winter... i may want to invest in something else.

Also i like the Randolph in grey but people say it's not comfortable.

There is the player in wallnut and the aberdeen in grey

And the last one but not my favorite, the Chukkamok chukka boot in blue.

In the non-AE shoes, i have a pair of black wingtips beater from Clarks, Wallnut cole haan loaffer and few brown bally loaffer...

So what are your suggestion?

- Promontory Point
    - Randolph Penny Loaffer Grey
    - Player Wallnut
    - Chukkamok Chukka Blue
    - Elgin (but they only have a 10D and i usually like the 9.5E with the Strand)

EDIT, just to illustrate, my mcneils are that one :
    [​IMG]

Thanks

17. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Add something in Chili or Bourban....or the Rush St -

18. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

I recently invested in two pair of Jeffersons in dark brown and burnished walnut. While I like them both, I think I have decided that I like less detailing and something more like the Strand or FIfth Avenue. This means of course that i now have reasons to buy more shoes though!

19. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

You only need casual shoes? Because you don't have anything too dressy there. I might suggest a balmoral in merlot for when you have to wear a suit. The McAllister is a good choice, though you do have wingtip covered. You may be able to find a park ave or Franciscan in merlot through one of the outlets. Next major company sale is the Anniversary sale next month.

1 person likes this.
  20. Xchange

Xchange Active Member

Thanks Gents,

Well, i don't need to have a too dressy shoe and i don't like the fifth ave...

I work in IT and it's mostly casual dress environnement (no jean's except 2 time a month) and i live in Montreal, where the weather is picky.

I like the Tan, wallnut color a lot.

I'm considering picking a pair of Elgin but not sure if is a good idea as i wear a strand in 9.5E and they only have a 10D in the Elgin right now.

I may keep the Franciscian for the next month if they come at a good deal but as they are pretty new, i don't expect that.

Elgin in 10D
    or
    Promontory ?

I didn't saw a lot of Promontory here on that post.. no body like them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.