Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

O'rly...Challenge Accepted!

Im not in the states so no need to fear of your shoes getting shot at from me :p hope they hold up to the winter and ammo though.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Creases (or folds as you say) will develop with all shoes. Proper fit will minimize this but it is not avoidable. Get wood shoe trees as the wood removes the moisture from the shoes. Newspaper actually will work but does little to keep the shape of the shoes. Nordstrom Rack has shoe trees for cheap (around $12?pair) or Jos. A. Bank will have sales periodically where you can get 3 or 4 for the price of one. The boot question has already ben answered in a previous post.

3. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

They grew on me. The bourbon Hanover became my favorite shoe on the website, so I'm glad that I was able to get them. At that price, they're much more reasonable. I picked up a pair of walnut Franciscans too.

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I guess I should do this to a few pairs of boots/shoes I plan on wearing through the winter. Luckily I picked up a pair of used cole haan 'waterproof' chukkas at a great price recently, so I won't have to wear the nice boots out in weather that's too icky! Between Obenaufs and the tims/ch's I should be set.

Heh. I'm starting to put together a shoe kit of sorts. 2 brushes and perhaps some polish to keep things going nicely.

Thanks pastor. I'll keep an eye out for those sales then. I only have a couple of pairs of shoes worth putting trees in. Some of the others are probably not even worth being resoled...

5. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

FYI, Jos Bank shoe trees are half off now. only $12.

6. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Senior member

Got a pair of black shell park aves this weekend from the shoe bank. Seem to fit really well and I like the look of them. However, the leather on the toe box is slightly pebbled or dimpled, like the surface of a golf ball. Is this something that can be buffed out with time? Not a big deal, but it distracts me when I look down at my feet.

Here is a pic: it captures what I am talking about, but it is a little more pronounced in real life.

Edit: pic wasn't loading from my tablet. Here it is:

[​IMG]

7. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Cant stop reading this thread. This is bad. I bought my first pair of AE in 2011, and it stayed that way until this August. Now I have 3 pairs (all calf) and just took the leap into cordovan with a brown shell jefferson on the way hopefully this October.

8. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Thanks man! $299 makes them even greater. They were a bit scruffy, and this is after one little session of TLC. I'm hoping they will just get better. In bright daylight they're already showing that weirdly cool shell cordovan patina. I'm really loving them so far.

9. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

I didn't buy the Strand webgem as I was waiting for the sale today, but now the cordovan Strand is no longer on the website. Quite disappointed.

10. mavrik13

mavrik13 Active Member

No duties/taxes, but more often then not you will have to pay taxes plus a $10 brokerage fee.

11. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Call up AE or even one of the outlets (they can order firsts, I believe). None of the web gem shoes are showing as available, may be a glitch, may be a plan, not sure.

12. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

You're right, I saw the other styles and thought it was only the Strand missing but now see there is no brown for any of them.

They probably pulled it from the sale so those that just spent $550 won't be upset.

13. MKJ1

MKJ1 Active Member

I'm in the same predicament, but Sherman Brothers has them at the sale price. They might show up on the AE site later

14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

The cordovan webgems were set to expire on the 29th (yesterday). If you want them now, I believe MTO is your only option.

I can't remember the strands ever being offered in brown shell before. Park avenue was always black or burgundy, I believe.

15. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Brown Cordovan Strands have been apart of AE's regular Shell Cordovan collection for at least the last two years. I didn't realize that AE was going to discontinue them either after their time as a webgem expired.

-Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.