Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

How much room is there? If you're sliding too far forward, you could try a tongue pad. How much extra room is there in the toe box?

I guess you could put an insole in there, but that would be strange.

Otherwise sell them and buy seconds that are the right size.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

2. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

Any owners of Grayson (tassel) or Sanibel (Venetian) reading?

Looking for a black loafer (I understand the paradox!) that can step in for a pair of lace-ups with a blazer. Have an operation on the calendar that is going to make things difficult for me.

I've never owned any tassels before, and part of me is averse to them. Is the black grain Sanibel an option that can step in temporarily and perhaps also have more versatility as well (with denim)?

I'm a 10EEE in Patriot, safe to assume sizing would be the same in either of these?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

The tongue pad might be the answer, the fit is pretty good everywhere but I do slide a bit forward in the shoe. I think that will be the first plan of attack. But selling them and buying seconds is an option for sure since the walnut pair is basically brand new.

Thanks for the suggestions.

4. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

As a closing book-end to this conversation from "way back when," I just purchased a bourbon pair for $242.

5. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

The day those came out, I emailed AE in hopes of obtaining a pair -- but that last doesn't exist in AA widths so I was hosed. Please post a photo so I can live vicariously through it!

6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

7. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I think I remember the shoebank mentioning shipping to Canada was $40 for the first pair and $5 for each additional, but can any Canadians speak on if that covers all tax/duties etc?. I just want to be sure I wont get hit with any big additional charges upon delivery if I place an order tomorrow.

8. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

AE are made in the US so they should be exempt from the Canadian duties according to the NAFTA treaty.

9. BCer

BCer Senior member

I live in Vancouver area, and can say I've imported numerous pairs of AE shoes. I get mine shipped to Blaine, just on the US side of the border, and drive down and pick them up. I make sure I declare them as made in the US, and only pay GST and PST, zero duties. But if you don't specify "made in the US", you'll undoubtedly pay duties. If AE is shipping them directly to Canada, I would imagine they specify accordingly. Zero duties though...

10. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

I concur and would add that if you have them shipped to Canada, I've never paid $40. Should be $25-30 in my experience. Also as BCer states, if you live quite near the US border, consider getting a mailbox 'across the line' and you'll save a ton when ordering through AE, eBay, Amazon, etc. j

11. DuckOB

DuckOB Senior member

Hi Burzan - Nice pickups on the Dalton's. There was a trunk show here locally and saw the Walnuts yesterday and have seen the Chocolate when I was traveling a few months ago. Loved the Chocolate!!! I have used everything from the $2 shoe pads that I picked up at the local grocery store to the Black Superfeet ( which I believe AE sells). I'd try the less expensive options to see if that fills up enough space. I also wear thicker socks with some of my boots to fill the void or add cushion. I haven't tried tongue pads but that is a good suggestion as well.

enjoy your new pick-ups

DuckOB

12. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

They have some cappuccino left as I ordered a pair late last week. I was on the fence over the brown shell Jeffersons but I really like the cappuccino color. So, I ordered a MTO Jefferson in cappuccino. It is suppose to be ready in 8 weeks.

13. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Is it normal to have some folds develop in the leather with time or do you undo that entirely with shoe trees if you use them religiously?

I have shoe trees for my daltons, but am in the process of getting either plastic or wooden ones for the other pairs of shoes I own. Till then I've been stuffing many of them with newspaper.

Also, how do you guys winterize boots. I'm going to be wearing my daltons through the boston winter. I'd rather not destroy them due to salt, etc, the first year of having them. I have timberland workboots for the truly nasty days.

Thanks again!

14. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

The Jeffersonville location charges $45 to Canada.

15. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

I just did my Long Branches and Bayfields with Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Protectant, on advice from our very own Cold Iron. It was a bit of a process, using a blow dryer and whatnot, but I very much have the impression that they are now essentially bulletproof. Or winterproof, anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.