• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flokk

Reaction score
Thoughts on these seconds quality? Just got three pairs in from the shoe bank sale today. Kenilworth (not pictured, basically in perfect condition minus a tiny stain on the toe box), Black Hills, and Rapid City. These are my first shoe bank orders so I was curious if the quality issues pictured below are more the exception than the norm. Generally speaking I'm not picky. I am in fact super excited to be starting an Allen Edmonds collection (this makes 4 with 3 more on order), much to the amusement of the g/f.
redface.gif
So small defects are no biggie considering the price cuts, but are these defects larger than most you see from the bank?

Black Hills:

Rapid City:

Last edited:

gsgleason

Reaction score

Does anyone here own Strand in dark brown and would care to share the pics with trousers/jeans ?

This was probably beaten to death, but what would be most suitable color of strand to go with really dark jeans? I mostly looking at a shoe for buisness casual jeans+sportcoat. Besides that my go to suit is Navy(but i don't wear it often) and I have pair of khakis.. so cognac/darkbrown/walnut?
Or maybe if it's a bad idea suggest an other shoe style for jeans+sportcoat look.

Jeans and oxfords?

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeans and oxfords?

these are pretty casual for a pair of oxfords i think they'd look good, anyways I surfed their site and seems mctavish would be better for a jeans/chino look, ofc still can't pick a color

Last edited:

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
Need some input on a fashion idea:

I know that most members in Classic tuck their shirts in as a rule, but I was out buying slacks and found a couple pairs that had very nice cuts, fabric, and fits. As I was trying them on, I couldnt help but notice that they looked good with the polo I was wearing and looked good with some fitted T shirts and button ups.

Has anyone here explored the option of wearing slacks as pants, and not a strictly tucked-shirt option? I thought the look was pretty clean myself, a welcome difference from jeans

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a good score for $120. I've seen some shoes at the Rack that looked used but had been resoled. Maybe that's the case here? I browse through my size every time I visit, and have yet to see something that appealing. I would keep them. Plus, you already have the belt.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Good to have some approvals for those shoes.
happy.gif

Thanks for the feedback. I have no idea exactly how "worn" they were, but I looked at the insole and there is no "footprint" on it. I find that most of my shoes develop some sort of visible "footprint" on the insole within one or two wears. The uppers didn't really show any wear, but then again with this type of soft unlined leather, it's already kind of distressed so it's hard to tell. So I was fairly confident that they weren't really "used" but rather more like "lightly worn". Hopefully I'm right about that.

There is no way Nordstrom is resoling used shoes to sell them at Nordstrom Rack. The half-price "refurbished" shoes you occasionally find are returns that, for whatever reason, cannot be resold at Nordstrom as new. I've always imagined they are the shoes that are worn for less than an hour or so outside the home before returning to try a different size. I have never seen on any of these shoes the type of creasing or other indicators of wear that would indicate even one full day's wear.

evilWagon

Reaction score
Thoughts on these seconds quality? Just got three pairs in from the shoe bank sale today. Kenilworth (not pictured, basically in perfect condition minus a tiny stain on the toe box), Black Hills, and Rapid City. These are my first shoe bank orders so I was curious if the quality issues pictured below are more the exception than the norm. Generally speaking I'm not picky. I am in fact super excited to be starting an Allen Edmonds collection (this makes 4 with 3 more on order), much to the amusement of the g/f.
redface.gif
So small defects are no biggie considering the price cuts, but are these defects larger than most you see from the bank?

Black Hills:

Rapid City:

Hmm, I just ordered two pairs of seconds and you have me concerned. The creases and occasional small blemish to the leather wouldn't bother me at all provided they didn't affect comfort, but the cuts in the welts and the unfinished or ratty edges would as I'd be concerned about the longevity of the shoe.

This is a great thread... and all the regular posters in it should get a commission. I ended up ordering delrays in black calf with the V-tread and Lasalle's in Chili (for $129 how could I say no).

I noticed that the only Chili belt AE has is the wide dress belt which had mixed reviews, what/where did the other Chili shoe owners find a matching belt?

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure, I wear a D width in the Barrie and my Strands are an E.

ok i do have pretty wide feet, my feet usually end up stretching my d width barrie shoes from regular wearing hopefully i'll be ok if not it'll be a exchange for available e width hopefully. i've bought a pair of barrie in e width and it was a tad too big because my foot slid around so i had to flip the shoes. thanks for reply

well i might be a e width according to other replies but its free exchanges/returns :). there is no allen edmonds store near where i live closest one is a 5hr drive one way so 10hrs round trip so i would have had to get my sizing eventually somehow. i had to go through a lot of of returning/exchanging to get my barrie size just right :)

thanks guys

Last edited:

Flokk

Reaction score
Hmm, I just ordered two pairs of seconds and you have me concerned. The creases and occasional small blemish to the leather wouldn't bother me at all provided they didn't affect comfort, but the cuts in the welts and the unfinished or ratty edges would as I'd be concerned about the longevity of the shoe.

This is a great thread... and all the regular posters in it should get a commission. I ended up ordering delrays in black calf with the V-tread and Lasalle's in Chili (for $129 how could I say no).

I noticed that the only Chili belt AE has is the wide dress belt which had mixed reviews, what/where did the other Chili shoe owners find a matching belt?
You honestly can't tell about any of those issues pictured from more than a foot away (as you said it's a question of longevity). The Kenilworths were nearly perfect so this seems to be just a roll of the dice. But, the shoe bank will pay for return shipping so it's not much of a gamble with anything but a few minutes of your time. :)

AdamAdam

Reaction score
Day 1 for these Sheltons (20% off at Amazon). I love the traditional look of the saddle shoe. I think I had some like these when I was a toddler. Yesterday I ordered a pair in walnut/brown from the shoe bank.

rickrone

Reaction score
Let me first warn that i'm a little OCD.

I keep all of my shoes in trees when not being worn. Then they are placed in shoe bags and then I have matching 15qt Rubbermaid containers that I keep all of my shoes in. On the outside of each container I have a picture of the shoe and a label telling me what's inside. All the containers stack very nicely in my closet. If my shoes get wet or I sweat profusely that day i'll leave my shoes out for the night and let them dry before they go in the containers.

My wife was recently a trip and I assembled the same setup for all of her shoes as well.

What can I say, it's the Marine Corps coming out in me.
would locking them in the containers be bad since it is locking in the air with no airflow? i put the bags on, but i don't put it bag in the box or container. I want my puppies to breath.
I just got the Strand in Bourbon. I am in banking and I wore it with mid grey last week and it looked great. I think this could work as your brown dress shoe unless you are in an extremely conservative environment. I think these will look great with most greys, navy, olives, etc. Pretty much anything but black and very light khaki.

To be honest, in my situation, most people don't even notice the shoes and most wear square toed bicycle stitched cemented shoes.

Chris
dark brown would be better, but you will look slightly flashy and stylish with the bourbon. they will gravitate to your feet first.
Do you all think that there is such thing as a compulsive shoe buyer? I have been just that for a while now.
I do when they have a sale, i bought the mccallister when it went on sale a few months ago at the retail stores. then i went crazy for the past 2 weeks and bought 4 pairs of shoes that i really didn't need, but the deal was to good to pass up. I need a self help group
lol8[1].gif

Day 1 for these Sheltons (20% off at Amazon). I love the traditional look of the saddle shoe. I think I had some like these when I was a toddler. Yesterday I ordered a pair in walnut/brown from the shoe bank.

It reminds me of my foot joys with steel spikes back before soft spikes.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you all think that there is such thing as a compulsive shoe buyer? I have been just that for a while now.

The problem with this forum is that anyone on a year-long shoe buying binge feels pretty normal and in control compared to some of the posters here. If they compared their shoe buying with the average non-SF individual, they might reach a different opinion. Hence, all the "my wife is going to kill me" and "gotta sneak these shoes in past my wife" comments.

tampatravel

Reaction score
The problem with this forum is that anyone on a year-long shoe buying binge feels pretty normal and in control compared to some of the posters here. If they compared their shoe buying with the average non-SF individual, they might reach a different opinion. Hence, all the "my wife is going to kill me" and "gotta sneak these shoes in past my wife" comments.

Lucky for most of us...we'll get that "all your shoes look alike"! That makes it easier to slip one past the goalie
bigstar[1].gif

jbcohen

Reaction score
You are right on Tampa compared to some of the posters here I feel realy quite normal, I own a pair of Rockport Evanders, Johnson and Murphy Cardells and a Allen Edmonds Fiesol. Thats nothing compared to some of the posters here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads