• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick quesion: Does a pair of McTavish fit the same as a pair of McAllister of the same size given that they are of the same last? Are there any other elements that cause them to fit differently?

I have a pair of the latter and am contemplating pulling the trigger of a pair of the former.

TIA.

Ulsterman

Reaction score
My Mactavish seems to feel looser whereas McAllisters fit very snugly.

Quick quesion: Does a pair of McTavish fit the same as a pair of McAllister of the same size given that they are of the same last? Are there any other elements that cause them to fit differently?

I have a pair of the latter and am contemplating pulling the trigger of a pair of the former.

TIA.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TIA.

I sized down a half size from Mcallister to mctavish. The rough leather does not fit as tightly over the last.

AdamAdam

Reaction score

TIA.

I was asking this same question a few pages back in the thread and the consensus was that the McTavish do run a little larger even though on the same last (presumably from the different leather quality). There was someone (maybe two folks) who said they wore the same size in both but generally they seemed to run larger. I just order a pair of Elgin seconds from the outlet which is on the same last as McAllister and McTavish. I have two McAllister so once I receive the Elgin in the same size I'll report back on the fit. I was told by the saleswoman that these are AE Elgin not the BB version.

rickrone

Reaction score
I need some guidance.

I have a 20% coupon at Amazon for shoes and thinking about getting either the black Park Avenues or Walnut Strands.

I have no particular need for either, but with the discount, either is a pretty good deal.

I don't have any balmoral shoes to date but do have a black shoe I can wear formally. I also have other pairs of brown shoes already too.

Which would you choose? I'm not looking for any more wingtips so that is not up for consideration.
you only need 1 black shoe, get more shades of brown. the strands are a great pic. also you should add a suede shoe or loafer to your collection.
anyone swear by the fit guide on ae's website? i wear 10 in red wings, 10 in clarks db's, 10.5 in nikes/sneakers, and 10.5 in other dress shoes.

the fit guide measured me as 11 on one leg and 11.5 on another, so i went with a 11.5 as it recommends? or did i screw something up?
you printed it incorrectly. you have to change the settings to actual size and not fit to page. i did this as well and there was no way I was an 11 or 11.5
you fit is exactly like mine, you are most likely a 10D.

TIA.
I use thicker socks in my mctavish, and i use thinner dress socks in my mcallister. i have both in the same size, but with the thicker sock my mctavish fits perfectly.

nakedundermyclothes

Reaction score
anyone know if they have fixed the squeaking issue with the amoks? looking to order a pair

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Considering a pair of suede Amok's;

What do I need to do in order to pretreat/protect and care for them thoroughly? I have avoided suede shoes up until now because I know it to be a nightmare to take care of and almost impossible to clean once stained. I have heard there is something I can treat them with so they absorb a protective barrier. Any advice?

http://www.amazon.com/Bickmore-Guard-More-Water-Stain-Repellant/dp/B005VKIL3W

Cold Iron swears by this stuff to protect his suede footwear. On his recommendation, I purchased some and have been quite pleased with the results.

OptoDoc

Reaction score

I enjoy every one of your posts for the sole reason of viewing your avatar.

Ms. Theron is aging so gracefully...
worship.gif

Last edited:

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My Mactavish seems to feel looser whereas McAllisters fit very snugly.
I sized down a half size from Mcallister to mctavish. The rough leather does not fit as tightly over the last

I was asking this same question a few pages back in the thread and the consensus was that the McTavish do run a little larger even though on the same last (presumably from the different leather quality). There was someone (maybe two folks) who said they wore the same size in both but generally they seemed to run larger. I just order a pair of Elgin seconds from the outlet which is on the same last as McAllister and McTavish. I have two McAllister so once I receive the Elgin in the same size I'll report back on the fit. I was told by the saleswoman that these are AE Elgin not the BB version.

I use thicker socks in my mctavish, and i use thinner dress socks in my mcallister. i have both in the same size, but with the thicker sock my mctavish fits perfectly.

Thank you all for your prompt advices. Much appreciated.

I neglected to mention that I have a pair of Ridgeway (which is presumably the same shoes as McTavish) that is half size down from my McAllister; while wearable, I find the toe area a bit snug-ger than I would have like.

With that, I have decided to order the McTavish in the same size as the McAllister. Perhaps I belong to the small minority that needs to wear the same size as their McAllister.

I enjoy every one of your posts for the sole reason of viewing your avatar.

Ms. Theron is aging so gracefully...:worship:

:fistbump:

Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chocolate brown calf Byrons today. Usually my office is more jeans than wool and more sneakers than leather, but occasionally I get tired of not wearing a suit.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
As has been mentioned several times already, the Memorial Day sale on seconds has some great buys on BB versions of some AE models. Is it always the case that the BB models are cheaper? Always the case when there's a sale? Or is this unique and if I see a model I like and there's a BB version in my size I should jump on it before Tuesday? I've bought several pair in the past month so I'd rather wait but for $159 for some BB models it's hard to pass up (unless that's always the case).

While I'm at it... I'm a 7.5E in McCallister (5-last) and just ordered some Sheltons (1-last) in 8E on Amazon and they seem to fit perfectly. I have a pair in 8D coming as well from Amazon just to compare but those won't be here until this evening. Assuming I am 8E in the AE Shelton what size do you think I'd take in the BB Shelton seeing as the insole is different and some have commented that this affects sizing as the BB insole takes up more room in the shoe?

Thanks for the insight!

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
do I just reply to the email I received the seconds list from to place an order?

AdamAdam

Reaction score
do I just reply to the email I received the seconds list from to place an order?

If you reply to the email and tell them what you want they will hold it for you. I then called to speak with someone and give them my CC information. I wouldn't want to send that via email. Also, if you're not already in the system they'll need your name, address, etc.

fiestaplatypus

Reaction score

just call them. if you can't reach them, call another outlet store. an email might not be read till hours later and someone who called may snag the pair you wanted from right under your nose.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen for the comments on the walnut shell Dundee's.
Those look awesome... is there a split reverse welt? what sole color is that? thanks
Thanks, they are MTO so you have a lot of options when it comes to the soles. Here is a side view:

If your interested in picking up a pair send me a PM and I will fill you in. From what little I've seen of your shell collection Calikid the Dundee would be perfect for you
nod[1].gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads