• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, being one state over from AE headquarters means my "Paul Grangaard" MTO arrived today.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
I went for a pair of Kenilworths in walnut shell and I think it came out pretty good. I specified some poron insoles and was a bit worried that it might affect the fit, but thankfully the shoe fits fine and not all that different from the try-on sample the ladies at AE sent me to verify my Kenilworth size.

The walnut shell color looks great, and ever slightly lighter than another pair of shell PTB's I recently received that came out much lighter than it was supposed to. So I now have two pairs of tan/dark tan colored shell PTB's at my disposal. The Kenilworths will serve as the blobby pair (check the pictures below
wink.gif
).

Overall, I'm very happy with the MTO experience with AE and I'd like to thank Mr. Grangaard for the nice offer to the SF community.

Onto some quick pics:

Compared with the aforementioned other pair of shell PTB's, which is Carmina. The 5-last doesn't look so sleek anymore, which is OK here. It would be kind of difficult to justify two pairs of sleek PTBs in almost the same color.

I hope you guys enjoy the pics. Now let's see some more MTO's as they get shipped!
WOW!! I just couldn't bring myself to hide those behind a spoiler and don't think anyone else would mind seeing them again!

Great job and I too am looking forward to more pictures of these MTO's.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was planning on taking up Paul's wonderful MTO offer on a brownish (walnut or Capp) shell Kenilworths. I normally wear 12E in the 5-Last but I have seen many a mention to size down on the Kenilworth so I first ordered some black Keniworth seconds in 11 1/2E to check these out first. When they arrived they were too tight, and as a side not--they bowed out at the ankles. I attributed the gaping to the incorrect fitment, as I have never experienced this before. So, I sent those back for for replacement with 12E and also confirmed my order for the Cappuccino Shell Kenilworth in 12E.

My replacement black Kenilworth arrived and while the fit and feel was great, these also bowed out, though not nearly as much as the 11 1/2's. I was now worried about my shells that I had just ordered and contacted Allison at AE. While I've never had any bowing in any of my other AE's, they are almost all balmorals or boots. Here's what Allison said: "If you have a low arch the 3 eyelet blucher style may not come high enough up on your foot and therefore doesn’t wrap as tightly around your foot/ankle area." I believe that this it exactly the cause. First off, when I was a child I had really flat feet, but as I got older and by curling my toes in while walking I eventually did develop arches, but they're definitely not high, or probably even normal arching. Also with the 12E Kenilworths now, if I curl my toes in and back, thereby raising my arch and the top center of my foot just a little bit higher, the gaping goes away!

While this doesn't exactly explain the bowing for those who get it with the PA's with more eyelets, it does confirm that it is related to the individual person's foot shape and therefore is a fitment issue and not a quality issue. It also explains why only some have a problem with it, while most do not.

As far as my shells go, Allison made the suggestion to try out the Black Hills, also a PTB, but with two more eyelets to hopefully make up for the deficit in my arches/foot shape. As an example of AE's exemplary customer service, she's sending me out a new pair of those, just to try on and see if i like them; and we'll go from there. While I'm disappointed not to be getting the Kenilworths and to have to wait longer, this is more than made up by the way the fine folks at AE go far above and above and beyond to make sure there customers are exceedingly happy!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
That is great customer service and one reason I keep coming back to AE.

Hope the Black Hills work out for you and a MTO shell pair is in your near future. I have them and really like them, never would have thought to have a pair made in shell but it would certainly work as a replacement for the Kenilworths IMO.

tietherope

Reaction score
Instead of leaving everything up to luck, on my lunch hour I ran out to one of the few stores in Canada that carries Allen Edmonds. I tried the Strand in 10 D, my normal size. The width was fine to me, but it was too long. I then tried the 9.5 D and the toe was great, while the shoe felt quite narrow. Unfortunately they only carry D's in store and there were no E's to try on. She measured me on the Brannock and said I measure as a D, but as I've read extensively on the 5 last, that doesn't mean anything. She also felt how much my foot was pressing on the sides of the shoe and said the D was good. That may just be her trying to make the sale though.

My question is, how tight should the shoe be? I know that may be difficult to answer. If laced up and sitting/standing and you can feel any pressure on the sides of your feet, is that too tight? I'm quite new to this but I'm looking to send off an email for a seconds list momentarily.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Instead of leaving everything up to luck, on my lunch hour I ran out to one of the few stores in Canada that carries Allen Edmonds. I tried the Strand in 10 D, my normal size. The width was fine to me, but it was too long. I then tried the 9.5 D and the toe was great, while the shoe felt quite narrow. Unfortunately they only carry D's in store and there were no E's to try on. She measured me on the Brannock and said I measure as a D, but as I've read extensively on the 5 last, that doesn't mean anything. She also felt how much my foot was pressing on the sides of the shoe and said the D was good. That may just be her trying to make the sale though.

My question is, how tight should the shoe be? I know that may be difficult to answer. If laced up and sitting/standing and you can feel any pressure on the sides of your feet, is that too tight? I'm quite new to this but I'm looking to send off an email for a seconds list momentarily. Thanks for any help you can give.
I would certainly try on an E first and see what you think. It can't hurt to get a feel for it. Also, if you think it is just a touch tight, you could have a D stretched closer to an E.

kentyman

Reaction score
Thanks!
I found that these Sheltons fit TTS; felt great right out of the box (which certainly isn't always the case for me). Perhaps your experience was due to the insoles. The BB versions always fit a little different for me.

The Brooks Brothers Shelton was certainly tighter than the Finch, but they were both too tight. Perhaps my normal 8.5D in the Strand isn't actually my size? I think I need to hit up Brooks Brothers to try a 9D.

AdamAdam

Reaction score

My question is, how tight should the shoe be? I know that may be difficult to answer. If laced up and sitting/standing and you can feel any pressure on the sides of your feet, is that too tight? I'm quite new to this but I'm looking to send off an email for a seconds list momentarily.

Thanks for any help you can give.

I was in the same boat. My Brannock measurement is 8D but the size that was best for me on the 5-last (Strand, McAllister, etc.) is 7.5E. With 8D it slipped slightly off my smaller foot. The 7.5E were a little tight at first on my larger foot but after about a dozen wearings they loosened up. I did also have the left one stretched for a few days which helped a lot. I wouldn't worry as much about the length in that last as long as the shoes don't slip off your foot. They are long by nature so you're better to have more room in the toe if the width feels right. You of course don't want them too long because then they will wear and crease incorrectly but a little extra in the toe on those isn't a big deal. I guess the bottom line is they should be snug, not tight. Also keep in mind the time of day you tried them on. Mine always fit looser when driving to work but by 3:00 my feet swell a bit and they become more snug. Maybe try 9.5E if there's a way for you to do that.

I would say to just place an order on seconds and try a few out but I understand shipping costs back and forth to Canada are different than the US.

jbcohen

Reaction score
Why would I buy shoe trees from Allen Emonds rather than say Bed, Bath and Beyond? Are Allen Emond's shoe trees that much better than the standard ones? Looks like I will be taking delivery of my first pair of Allen Edmond's tomorrow, then I will be seeing if you all are right about the quality of Allen Edmond's shoes.

tampatravel

Reaction score
Why would I buy shoe trees from Allen Emonds rather than say Bed, Bath and Beyond? Are Allen Emond's shoe trees that much better than the standard ones? Looks like I will be taking delivery of my first pair of Allen Edmond's tomorrow, then I will be seeing if you all are right about the quality of Allen Edmond's shoes.

You can buy Woodlore Combination Shoe Trees at Nordstrom Rack for $12.95 all the time.

Woodlore is in fact owned by Allen Edmonds. There are times throughout the year Nordstrom Rack drops the price on these as well.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be honest here I have to have the little badge that reads Allen Edmonds....Alden etc for corresponding manufactures.

jbcohen

Reaction score
I used to wear $40 Dexter shoes from Payless swearing that there was no difference in shoe brands. Now I have two pair of shoes in my collection, soon to be three with the addition of an Allen Edmonds, A Johnson and Murphy Suffock and a Rockport Evander and I swear that I can tell the difference between the two if you blind fold me and turn me around three times and strap one of the two to my feet I can tell you which one you have strapped to my feet. So much so I have become somewhat of a shoe snob, I refuse to wear the Evanders, they are like strapping lead to my feet and I will shortly have the Allen Edmond's Fiesol's to share the burden with the Suffock shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads