Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

WOW!! I just couldn't bring myself to hide those behind a spoiler and don't think anyone else would mind seeing them again!

Great job and I too am looking forward to more pictures of these MTO's.

2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

That is great customer service and one reason I keep coming back to AE.

Hope the Black Hills work out for you and a MTO shell pair is in your near future. I have them and really like them, never would have thought to have a pair made in shell but it would certainly work as a replacement for the Kenilworths IMO.

3. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

Instead of leaving everything up to luck, on my lunch hour I ran out to one of the few stores in Canada that carries Allen Edmonds. I tried the Strand in 10 D, my normal size. The width was fine to me, but it was too long. I then tried the 9.5 D and the toe was great, while the shoe felt quite narrow. Unfortunately they only carry D's in store and there were no E's to try on. She measured me on the Brannock and said I measure as a D, but as I've read extensively on the 5 last, that doesn't mean anything. She also felt how much my foot was pressing on the sides of the shoe and said the D was good. That may just be her trying to make the sale though.

My question is, how tight should the shoe be? I know that may be difficult to answer. If laced up and sitting/standing and you can feel any pressure on the sides of your feet, is that too tight? I'm quite new to this but I'm looking to send off an email for a seconds list momentarily.

Thanks for any help you can give.

4. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I would certainly try on an E first and see what you think. It can't hurt to get a feel for it. Also, if you think it is just a touch tight, you could have a D stretched closer to an E.

5. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

The Brooks Brothers Shelton was certainly tighter than the Finch, but they were both too tight. Perhaps my normal 8.5D in the Strand isn't actually my size? I think I need to hit up Brooks Brothers to try a 9D.

6. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

I was in the same boat. My Brannock measurement is 8D but the size that was best for me on the 5-last (Strand, McAllister, etc.) is 7.5E. With 8D it slipped slightly off my smaller foot. The 7.5E were a little tight at first on my larger foot but after about a dozen wearings they loosened up. I did also have the left one stretched for a few days which helped a lot. I wouldn't worry as much about the length in that last as long as the shoes don't slip off your foot. They are long by nature so you're better to have more room in the toe if the width feels right. You of course don't want them too long because then they will wear and crease incorrectly but a little extra in the toe on those isn't a big deal. I guess the bottom line is they should be snug, not tight. Also keep in mind the time of day you tried them on. Mine always fit looser when driving to work but by 3:00 my feet swell a bit and they become more snug. Maybe try 9.5E if there's a way for you to do that.

I would say to just place an order on seconds and try a few out but I understand shipping costs back and forth to Canada are different than the US.

7. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Thanks for the feedback. Pulled the trigger on a few seconds

8. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Shoe trees are apparently on sale for like $16 as well

Last edited: May 24, 2013

9. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

A few....well dont leave us in suspense.

10. jbcohen

jbcohen Well-Known Member

Why would I buy shoe trees from Allen Emonds rather than say Bed, Bath and Beyond? Are Allen Emond's shoe trees that much better than the standard ones? Looks like I will be taking delivery of my first pair of Allen Edmond's tomorrow, then I will be seeing if you all are right about the quality of Allen Edmond's shoes.

11. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

dark brown cordovan dundee
    burgundy cordovan leeds
    tan suede amok

:)

12. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

You can buy Woodlore Combination Shoe Trees at Nordstrom Rack for $12.95 all the time.

Woodlore is in fact owned by Allen Edmonds. There are times throughout the year Nordstrom Rack drops the price on these as well.

13. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I will be honest here I have to have the little badge that reads Allen Edmonds....Alden etc for corresponding manufactures.

14. jbcohen

jbcohen Well-Known Member

I used to wear $40 Dexter shoes from Payless swearing that there was no difference in shoe brands. Now I have two pair of shoes in my collection, soon to be three with the addition of an Allen Edmonds, A Johnson and Murphy Suffock and a Rockport Evander and I swear that I can tell the difference between the two if you blind fold me and turn me around three times and strap one of the two to my feet I can tell you which one you have strapped to my feet. So much so I have become somewhat of a shoe snob, I refuse to wear the Evanders, they are like strapping lead to my feet and I will shortly have the Allen Edmond's Fiesol's to share the burden with the Suffock shoes.

15. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

as I'd NEVER be caught dead with Allen Edmonds sock in my LHS Alden Beefrolls. PERISH the thought. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.