• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hate seeing no love for the black shoe. I have two black shell and love them . With black pants and charcoal

Take heart. You are not alone my friend. I have numerous black shell and black calf models**, shoes and boots - JL, EG, Alden, AE, C&J, etc. - many of which work well for professional business dress, and many of which work well in casual settings.

** As well as numerous shell and calf models in numerous other colors from numerous makers..

Many times perspective, one's job, and size of collection are lost when the subject of black shoes/suits/slacks is discussed. Be not dismayed.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, here goes. First, as I said, there are many shades of non-black: dark brown, merlot, walnut, bourbon, chili, and some others. There is only one shade of black. So if I just want one shoe of each color, I have 1 black shoe and 5 brownish shoes.

I am also a lot less likely to buy certain types of shoes in black. I have no use for a black loafer, due to the incongruence between the formaility of the color and the informality of the loafer style. I also don't have any black bluchers, for similar reasons. I have about 4 pairs of loafers and 6 pairs of bluchers. None of these is black.

Definitely longer and I like the use of the word "incongruence"

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Black shoes with Navy suit is the proper conservative business attire. Navy suit with walnut shoes you will look like an idiot in a proper business atmosphere.

It is news to me that a navy suit is more proper conservative business dress than a charcoal suit. I would be very interested to hear the reasoning behind this.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score
Just got a call from AE informing me that my "Paul Grangaard" MTO is ready to ship as well. Mine was confirmed on 4/26, so it's just under a month. Not bad at all.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AE just called me to advise that my "Paul Grangaard" MTO is shipping today. I confirmed the order on May 1st.  That's damn quick.  Should have photos up next week.

Just got a call from AE informing me that my "Paul Grangaard" MTO is ready to ship as well. Mine was confirmed on 4/26, so it's just under a month. Not bad at all.

Excellent.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In a loafer mode this week. Burgundy shell Randolphs today.
Looking great bucksfan!
Quote:
Had me looking that one up as I could see that happening to me. Turns out that coffee is a natural dye
eek.gif
so that may be the answer, but I still would try to get it out first. Can't find anyone that has had a lot of luck getting them clean again. I put oil on my Black Hills when I first got them to knock down the orange tint and it looked like the leather Gods puked all over them. I saddle soaped them every night for more than a week and they finally got back to where I started. May be worth a try. Good luck Doc!

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Thanks, ColdIron. I'll hit them with some cleaner tonight. If it still looks off, I'll soak both shoes in coffee for a few minutes and see what happens. They are 1 year old $80 boots, so there isn't much loss if it doesn't work. I only wear them casually and to work when the weather is horrendous. I'll take pics of the process.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
Just ordered a pair of Elgins from the outlet. My first outlet purchase so we'll see how it goes. On AE's website it says for polish to use their "Leather Lotion" which I understand they recommend on all of the casual models. Does this mean I don't need any kind of colored polish? Also, I have Coach "Leather Moisturizer" for a leather bag that I have. My wife used to work there so I have an abundance of the stuff. Can I just use that on my Elgins?

http://www.coach.com/online/handbag... moisturizer&cacheKeyword=LEATHER MOISTURIZER

Thanks!

Essential

Reaction score
Since everyone is talking about black shoes, I would like to join in to get an idea of my next shoe purchase.

• I'm just finishing my first year in college but I eventually want to become a CPA in NYC (preferably Big 4). .
  • My shoe collection consists of: AE Walnut Strands, AE Dark Brown Larkins (penny loafers), and a casual bison leather boot (Yuma).
  • My suit color for interviews will be charcoal. The shoes I have are all too casual for interviews.
  • Since I rarely wear a suit and I'm a college student, I'm usually decked out in BB OCBD's and Chinos (two main colors being khaki and dark grey). I want the shoe to be versatile for conservative business as well as wear with chinos.

I'm leaning towards getting 5th Ave in burnished brown. I'm choosing this over the Park Aves because they have light broguing and I consider them more versatile (with regards to wearing them with chinos). Is this a good choice? I doubt I'll invest in a pair of black balmorals since I just won't be wearing suits much. Even as a CPA, I'll most likely be in chinos.

Last edited:

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, ColdIron. I'll hit them with some cleaner tonight. If it still looks off, I'll soak both shoes in coffee for a few minutes and see what happens. They are 1 year old $80 boots, so there isn't much loss if it doesn't work. I only wear them casually and to work when the weather is horrendous. I'll take pics of the process.

Sorry this happened. I can't wait for you to try this out, find that it resolves the color mismatch, discover that you and others here like the boots more post coffee soaking than before, and for the "OptoDoc method" to eventually be declared as the only real way to achieve that sought after, dark brown coffee patina.

Last edited:

gsgleason

Reaction score

Since everyone is talking about black shoes, I would like to join in to get an idea of my next shoe purchase.

• I'm just starting college but I eventually want to become a CPA in NYC (preferably Big 4). .
  • My shoe collection consists of: AE Walnut Strands, AE Dark Brown Larkins (penny loafers), and a casual bison leather boot (Yuma).
  • My suit color for interviews will be charcoal. The shoes I have are all too casual for interviews.
  • Since I rarely wear a suit and I'm a college student, I'm usually decked out in BB OCBD's and Chinos (two main colors being khaki and dark grey). I want the shoe to be versatile for conservative business as well as wear with chinos.

I'm leaning towards getting 5th Ave in burnished brown. I'm choosing this over the Park Aves because they have light broguing and I consider them more versatile (with regards to wearing them with chinos). Is this a good choice? I doubt I'll invest in a pair of black balmorals since I just won't be wearing suits much. Even as a CPA, I'll most likely be in chinos.

Oxfords with chinos seems weird to me, but I agree that the 5th ave is a nice relatively formal shoe with just a touch more blink that the more conservateive PA.

However, if you don't have any black straight cap toe oxfords, I think that's pretty much the staple of the business friendly shoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members