Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Take heart. You are not alone my friend. I have numerous black shell and black calf models**, shoes and boots - JL, EG, Alden, AE, C&J, etc. - many of which work well for professional business dress, and many of which work well in casual settings.

** As well as numerous shell and calf models in numerous other colors from numerous makers..

Many times perspective, one's job, and size of collection are lost when the subject of black shoes/suits/slacks is discussed. Be not dismayed.

2. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Definitely longer and I like the use of the word "incongruence"

3. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

It is news to me that a navy suit is more proper CBD than a charcoal suit. I would be very interested to hear the reasoning behind this.

4. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

Just got a call from AE informing me that my "Paul Grangaard" MTO is ready to ship as well. Mine was confirmed on 4/26, so it's just under a month. Not bad at all.

5. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

6. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Excellent.

[​IMG]

7. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Very nice!

8. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Congrats! What was the order?

9. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Looking great bucksfan!

10. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Thanks, ColdIron. I'll hit them with some cleaner tonight. If it still looks off, I'll soak both shoes in coffee for a few minutes and see what happens. They are 1 year old $80 boots, so there isn't much loss if it doesn't work. I only wear them casually and to work when the weather is horrendous. I'll take pics of the process.

11. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Just ordered a pair of Elgins from the outlet. My first outlet purchase so we'll see how it goes. On AE's website it says for polish to use their "Leather Lotion" which I understand they recommend on all of the casual models. Does this mean I don't need any kind of colored polish? Also, I have Coach "Leather Moisturizer" for a leather bag that I have. My wife used to work there so I have an abundance of the stuff. Can I just use that on my Elgins?

http://www.coach.com/online/handbag... moisturizer&cacheKeyword=LEATHER MOISTURIZER

Thanks!

12. Essential

Essential Senior member

Since everyone is talking about black shoes, I would like to join in to get an idea of my next shoe purchase.

• I'm just finishing my first year in college but I eventually want to become a CPA in NYC (preferably Big 4). .
    • My shoe collection consists of: AE Walnut Strands, AE Dark Brown Larkins (penny loafers), and a casual bison leather boot (Yuma).
    • My suit color for interviews will be charcoal. The shoes I have are all too casual for interviews.
    • Since I rarely wear a suit and I'm a college student, I'm usually decked out in BB OCBD's and Chinos (two main colors being khaki and dark grey). I want the shoe to be versatile for conservative business as well as wear with chinos.

I'm leaning towards getting 5th Ave in burnished brown. I'm choosing this over the Park Aves because they have light broguing and I consider them more versatile (with regards to wearing them with chinos). Is this a good choice? I doubt I'll invest in a pair of black balmorals since I just won't be wearing suits much. Even as a CPA, I'll most likely be in chinos.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  13. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Sorry this happened. I can't wait for you to try this out, find that it resolves the color mismatch, discover that you and others here like the boots more post coffee soaking than before, and for the "OptoDoc method" to eventually be declared as the only real way to achieve that sought after, dark brown coffee patina.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  14. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

Oxfords with chinos seems weird to me, but I agree that the 5th ave is a nice relatively formal shoe with just a touch more blink that the more conservateive PA.

However, if you don't have any black straight cap toe oxfords, I think that's pretty much the staple of the business friendly shoe.

15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Either navy or charcoal will work, and so will many in medium gray.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.