Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I like the ring of that.

It's Community Coffee Dark Roast if anyone was wondering...

2. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Sweet! Why is it the more I see of AE discontinued styles the more I question the current offerings. Maybe still available MTO?

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  3. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I am sure the brewing method will also be key.

4. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

There has been a lot of chat about custom orders lately. I asked for some Leeds in the older burgundy shell, which they said they'd do, but for chili welt/edge dressing they want an extra $50.

Is that typical of your customizations?

5. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

See this post of mine and the following 4 replies for a discussion of using products on the Elgin. I think you can safely use AE's LL, CC, or SS on them, but you're more likely to lose a little dye the further right you go. So far, I've only used LL and CC on them, but will try SS if they get dirty enough. I don't think you'll ever need to add color with polish. Cold Iron darkened his with neatsfoot oil, so that's always an option if they ever got too light from excessive cleaning, but I don't anticipate that becoming a problem.

As for various other leather products, I'd be very careful. Many contain ingredients that may unexpectedly darken or lighten them.

6. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Which MTO program are you referring to? The factory/retail MTO program? Or the "Paul Grangaard" StyleForum special offer?

7. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

It's the 'talk to my local store manager' one. What are the details about that CEO one?

8. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

The CEO offered to build any shoe by special request provided the materials are available and it's technically feasible. That was, oh, about a month ago.

So you could have asked for a navy suede Dalton with contrast stitching and a mini-lug sole or whatever you want.

9. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

It that offer now defunct?

10. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I used it about three weeks ago and someone from the forum used it about a week after that so it's certainly worth a try.

As an aside I received my first pair of seconds today chocolate amoks for under $100. I'm fairly impressed I will need to get shoe bags but I can deal with that.

11. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I finalized my custom order on May 8 without any problems.

12. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Chinos are borderline OK at the Big 4, IMO, if you're not client-facing, but I would try to step it up to wool trousers. Makes a world of difference.

I'm not sure he ever said that one was more proper than the other. He just said that navy with black shoes was proper CBD.

13. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior member

For interviews, you really do need a black shoe. Does not have to be AE, especially if you won't wear it much. Living in NYC, I am sure you can find a black stitch cap for ~60 that will suffice to be worn 3-4 times a year.

Regarding dress when you're actually working (at least here in Toronto) it is pretty casual unless you are client facing and the rest of your team is in a suit. Tax is generally more casual than audit. Wool trousers > chinos for sure, though. What I did was set out a long term goal of what shoes I'd like to have for a business casual rotation...and promised myself to only buy those shoes unless a REALLY good deal on a near equivalent came up. I settled on:

-Black stitch cap (own park avenue)
    -Black PTB (own a CG pair of alfred sargent...great beater shoes)
    -Burgundy shell longwing
    -Burgundy shell PTB
    -Dark brown double monk
    -Dark brown split toe or other blucher
    -Walnut strand (own)

I also own a pair of dark brown bayfields that work really well as a commute boot for Canadian winters, as well as a suede malvern which I can dress up or down.

14. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Dunno

15. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I like the ring of that too, let us know how it turns out! I have 2 more cappuccino shell inbound. And if I ever take a break from getting AE shell I will be a copy cat and do rydenfan's beautiful make up of Rancourt ranger mocs in espresso shell. Now all of a sudden I have a hankering for some CC Dark Roast Stafford boots....
    Good advise kentyman and I agree. I just wanted to clarify that it was only the McTavish that I darkened. Not sure how neatsfoot oil will work on the waxy saddle leather of the Elgin. All I use is LL on them and seldom at that. I love the finish on them and try not to do anything to change them.
    I was told that it has no expiration date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.