• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind shell takes dye differently so there can be great variance from pair to pair.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind shell takes dye differently so there can be great variance from pair to pair.

Pastor

Reaction score
It's easy to see from the pictures posted in this thread how much color variance can happen with shell. Even among shoes made of the "same color shell" there are huge differences. I don't think you ever know what you are going to get unless you buy the shoe in person or see a sample swatch from the exact shell that the shoes are going to be made of. This is not just true of AE but of any maker of shell shoes. I've seen Alden Ravello that could easily pass for Whiskey shell. Carmina has shipped out cognac shell boots that looked almost identical to their saddle shell color. The brown shell AE patriots I have are as dark as anything i've seen from AE. I've seen other Patriots that are much lighter in color. I think it all depends on the original shade of the horse hide.

Pastor

Reaction score

Does shell vary at all from pair to pair?

You'll see seconds at times where the shoes do not match in color. If it is minimal then you may be able to "fix" using a cordovan cream but if there is a major color variance then there will be nothing that can be done except to send them back to the manufacturer to be re-dyed.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Thank You! No wax or polish since I got them last summer. They are the "new" finish and arrived loaded with cream. Could hardly see the burnishing that was under the cream so spent 4 or 5 evenings when new Reno and brushing them till they were clean:

Since then just the Mac method.

Cold Iron,
I wanted to ask you for some advice on my incoming black shell Leeds.
As you are retired from the U.S. Navy I know you understand what I expect from my shoes. I wonder if you could lay out the best course for prepping my Leeds for use as my new uniform shoe. I've been wearing my original boot camp issued Wolverines for 15 years and 11 days now and I think it might be time to transfer them to the Fleet Reserve.
I went with shell because I want that deep 3D shine that you can't get from calf.
Thank you!

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's easy to see from the pictures posted in this thread how much color variance can happen with shell. Even among shoes made of the "same color shell" there are huge differences. I don't think you ever know what you are going to get unless you buy the shoe in person or see a sample swatch from the exact shell that the shoes are going to be made of. This is not just true of AE but of any maker of shell shoes. I've seen Alden Ravello that could easily pass for Whiskey shell. Carmina has shipped out cognac shell boots that looked almost identical to their saddle shell color. The brown shell AE patriots I have are as dark as anything i've seen from AE. I've seen other Patriots that are much lighter in color. I think it all depends on the original shade of the horse hide.

AMEN to this (I couldn't resist given your Moniker :nodding:).

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The darkest brown right now I think is the brown used on the current shell strand

Speaking of shell color variations, my brown shell Townleys are considerably darker than my brown shell Strands. Like 3 shades darker. I like both shades, so I don't really care though.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does shell vary at all from pair to pair?

The Strand and the Dundee in this picture are the same color - brown. The Strand is olive-ish and the Dundee is a good solid brown. Also may depend on the finish. The MacNeil and the Leeds in this picture are the same color, but with a different finish and passage of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads