• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

athenianlion

Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick question about how a correctly fitted dress shoe is supposed to feel. I had taken a chance buying my brannock device size (10.5 D) and ended up with a fit much too narrow and long. I recently exchanged those Park Ave's with 9 3E's at the store. A fitter helped me.

They feel better, but are still uncomfortable. My right foot is larger than my left, and my small toes are....compressed together. The back of my right heel rubs against the leather (the leather rubbed off on my sock). The same happened with the 10.5Ds too, so I don't know whether its a matter of shoe length. My left foot fits pretty well; it rubs against the throat line of the shoe, but not so bad.

I can't order a wider size than 3E, and the widest part of my foot matches up with the widest part of the 9 length. I'm wondering if the 5 last just isn't for me. Should a shoe feel tight or uncomfortable?

David Copeland

Reaction score
Try actually looking at the picture, clearly there is a dent/crease in the shoe. No amount of Saphir is going to fix that.
Sorry Tristan, but . . .

When I mention Saphir - I am referring to one or more of the entire Saphir Process - not just a Saphir Renovateur or Saphir Polish (like you have been known to use).

I suggest, Tristan, you call Carlos or Kirby at the Hangerproject and ask them to look at the picture here on the web site - in order to confirm the Saphir Process can greatly eliminate to the eye what is seen in the photo.

David

David Copeland

Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick question about how a correctly fitted dress shoe is supposed to feel. I had taken a chance buying my brannock device size (10.5 D) and ended up with a fit much too narrow and long. I recently exchanged those Park Ave's with 9 3E's at the store. A fitter helped me.

They feel better, but are still uncomfortable. My right foot is larger than my left, and my small toes are....compressed together. The back of my right heel rubs against the leather (the leather rubbed off on my sock). The same happened with the 10.5Ds too, so I don't know whether its a matter of shoe length. My left foot fits pretty well; it rubs against the throat line of the shoe, but not so bad.

I can't order a wider size than 3E, and the widest part of my foot matches up with the widest part of the 9 length. I'm wondering if the 5 last just isn't for me. Should a shoe feel tight or uncomfortable?
First, welcome to the Style Forum. I am also a newcomer in the last month or so - and there is much to be gained by viewing all of the topics.

As for your issue - the first thing I would want to ask is if you went to an official Allen Edmonds Store (or Nordstroms). Both of these store have the very best fitters - and you should be able to get a final size or answer. Plus - you always have the Made-to-Order or Custom Fit option (look at Allen Edmonds website for details).

There is a difference in the 5 Last versus the 7 Last for a width of eee . I found that out when my first purchase in 1998 was for a D width, and it ended up a EEE because the Nordstrom Staff was well trained.

You should be able to feel comfortable right out the door - no break end needed for the Calfskin styles.

But the quick answer is . . . AE can fit you comfortably!

David

Rene_Lahm

Reaction score

I've seen them up close and they're a little college professorish. Kinda bulbous. You could do better with a captoe blucher with a rubber sole in dk brown. 

They are pebble grain and I like them. But I recommend you try them on. They are on the 222 last which is a tad narrow. And the San Marco fits me tighter than the other 222 last AE's I have. My local menswear / shoe store has them in my usual size at half price. I tried them on and they hurt my feet. I really wanted them, especially at half price. But they were a no go for me.

Chris

Thanks guys, you saved me from going through with those. Since I don't have an AE store near me, I wouldn't have been able to see them in person or try them on.

Rene_Lahm

Reaction score
This is a question for the bigger guys on the forum who frequent the AE stores. I plan on visiting the Washington D.C. area in June and was wondering how frequent AE stores typically carry larger sizes, size 14 specifically? I'm hoping to pick up a pair of olive Neumoks, and will likely call the stores in that area ahead anyways, but I was hoping someone had experience with this.

athenianlion

Reaction score
Yes it was an official AE shoe. The fitter was very professional and the shoe was comfortable in the store. I wonder if cramming into the narrower 10.5D's all day had squished my foot enough that the 3Es felt roomy, haha. Can't afford custom-fit quite yet. I will try out the different lasts.

Thanks for the feedback David!

ylkim30

Reaction score
Why didn't you try a 10 E? Going down to 9 EEE is a considerable drop from 10.5D.

Anyway, the 5 last is a pretty challenging fit...it is a very long and narrow last. I use a 14E in the 5 last and I get heel slippage, but that is the best fit for me.

Why don't you try a 1-last shoe in your Brannock device size? They seem to be more spacious versions of the 7-last (I am a 14D in the 7-last and it is perfect for me).

ylkim30

Reaction score
The Washington DC store don't carry too many 14 size shoes. I think they generally only have Park Aves in 14D, but they might have a few others (but not many).

You're probably better off buying online.

Last edited:

athenianlion

Reaction score
Why didn't you try a 10 E? Going down to 9 EEE is a considerable drop from 10.5D.

Anyway, the 5 last is a pretty challenging fit...it is a very long and narrow last. I use a 14E in the 5 last and I get heel slippage, but that is the best fit for me.

Why don't you try a 1-last shoe in your Brannock device size? They seem to be more spacious versions of the 7-last (I am a 14D in the 7-last and it is perfect for me).
I had simply gone in to buy shoe care supplies. To be honest I was shocked the salesman offered to exchange the shoes for me (I had worn them a few times already and they had wear), so I went along with whatever he suggested.

David Copeland

Reaction score
I had simply gone in to buy shoe care supplies. To be honest I was shocked the salesman offered to exchange the shoes for me (I had worn them a few times already and they had wear), so I went along with whatever he suggested.
Here is a kicker . . .

My foot size is 11.5

AE sized me in 11eee - which was much more comfortable because of the last. When I spoke to Paul last week, I mentioned that my 11.5 foot was more comfortable in a half size smaller, with a triple e.

I moved to Montana from Newport Beach (where the shopping was GREAT). Now the nearest Nordstroms is in Spokane, Washington - which from Western Montana is about a 4 hour drive - if I was to be fitted in-store by a professional.

Otherwise, AE recommended that I order online - and if it does not fit, they pay for return postage - back and forth, back and forth - which I think is okay if I lived in the North Pole.

And because different styles may predict a completely different size - I think I will take along a notebook to Nordstroms and try on every style that strikes my fancy - buy what I can within my current budget - and then know what other styles and exact sizes I want in the future - so that when I return to Montana and am ready to purchase again, I can either call the Nordstroms sales rep and order over the phone - or use the Nordstroms or AE online buying with the correct fit.

Added Note: Nordstroms will PRICE MATCH all of their Allen Edmonds shoes with whatever AE Sale is going on at the AE website!

Last edited:

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that the anniversary sale is over (almost!). Any intel on the next one?

Veridis

Reaction score
That is good to know, I am glad it worked out for you.

I just spotted a slight dent about an inch long on the inner side of the left shoe. Just talked to Amazon and they offered a partial refund of $30 of I keep the shoes, and a full refund if I return it. Exchanging is not an option.

Actually, for $170 it is quite a good deal. I could just pretend I bought seconds. However it is never nice when you expect first quality shoes and get slightly used one. I think someone ordered them a while back, wore it around the house for a day and returned it without the paper and plastic stick.

Hmm, to keep or to return... I only have a few hours left to buy it at about $260 (including tax) from AE's website. From a poor student's perspective, keeping it seems the most cost effective.

More photos:

It seems that the box has a different Allen Edmonds logo, probably an older one.

Contact Paul's office. You have what is supposed to be a first quality shoe from a legitimate source. I would expect that AE would make it right somehow.
Thank you for the suggestion, I will try that.

EDIT:

I have contacted Amazon again and accepted a partial refund. The sale is over and I cannot rationalize paying about $200 more for the same shoe on the AE website. Amazon said that they would normally do an exchange, but they have no stock on hand right now.

I guess all I can do now is to enjoy the shoes! At least I don't see any structural problems with it. Going to stuff a pair of shoe trees in them and hope it gets into better shape.

Last edited:

Hobbstc

Reaction score
Just got my chocolate Dalton's in and wow they are awesome! I have 11.5d Jeffersons on the 5 last, and they are just a smidge snug. I called AE and told them my sizes in different lasts ad they suggested the 12d and they are spot on perfect. Most comfortable out of the box. I'll get some comparisons in the light hopefully tomorrow. I'll put them against my brown AE Hinsdale loafer and my brown burnished Jefferson for comparisons.

David Copeland

Reaction score
Anyone try a Microfiber Cloth as opposed to a regular cotton t-shirt or official AE or Alden Polishing Cloth?

I read that the Microfiber Cloth performs different.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Washington DC store don't carry too many 14 size shoes. I think they generally only have Park Aves in 14D, but they might have a few others (but not many).

You're probably better off buying online.

Some years ago I swung by the DC store to order some 14AA Wilberts. I was frankly kind of surprised when the salesman pulled a pair of 14AA Park Avenues out of the back just to make sure we were in the right ballpark -- I didn't expect them to have a size like that hanging out in the shop. I agree with the above... it's unlikely they'll have the exact shoe you want in the size you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads