1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Anyone out there have a pair of burgundy Sanfords they wanna sell? Size 11.5D

I want a pair so bad but can't find them anywhere.

2. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

Great collection and very organized! But isn't it a bit of a chore to get the shoes toward the bottom of the stack out of there? Or do the containers slide out pretty easily?

3. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Mate leather needs to breathe. Storing them in plastic boxes is not a very good idea.

4. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

+1

5. jonesle7

jonesle7 Active Member

Do you use anything to protect the soles of your Allen Edmonds?

I'm considering using metal toe taps but wanted to ask for advice on what works best from the members of this forum. Other options include topy or plastic and rubber toe-taps and heel caps.

6. wurger

wurger Senior member

topy, and swap out the heels when they get worn down.

1 person likes this.
  7. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Was that last part really necessary?

8. Close Hoarse

Close Hoarse Senior member

Allen Edmonds Strawfuts: Brown leather and Linen. Just came in yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Agreed. Lets keep it civil and just appreciate a nice collection.

10. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

^
    Nice ensemble, Close Hoarse!

11. Close Hoarse

Close Hoarse Senior member

Thank you much.

CH

12. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I really doubt there will be any ill effects of this. The shoes have lots more room then if they were in their boxes. I imagine they "breath" as much or more than shoes stored in boxes. Some of my shoes have been stored like this for 3 years will no effect on the leather that I can notice. Ideally, when we build our house I'm going to build a 20' by 20' closet for me and misses to share. When that happens I will build a shoe rack capable of holding all my shoes and I won't have them in any kind of box at all.

13. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Great storage solution, Pastor. I have mine in their bags on a shoe rack, but I too wish I could keep them out so I can see them at least. Then I'd have to worry about dusting them, I guess...;0)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  14. md2010

md2010 Senior member

These shoes can last over 30 years with proper care. But storing them in plastic boxes definitely don't help them much in terms of breathing and moisture's not being able to get out of plastic boxes. Which in long run can rot various parts of the shoe. If I would must keep the plastic boxes then I would create some holes so that they can get some air flow through the holes. Its easy just hear up a nail and make your holes.

15. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

That's good point. Making some air holes isn't a bad idea.

16. Septimus

Septimus Senior member

If using the plastic boxes, I would imagine it probably also makes sense to wait 24 hours after wearing and putting in shoe trees before putting them in the plastic boxes, to let them dry out a bit.

17. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

18. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

19. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

Thats what i've thought but I'm thinking it might be the lighting. I asked the seller for the
    model code on the the shoe tongue but he just replied that snuff suede is darker brown?

20. jlykos

jlykos Member

I believe it's the brown. I don't thnk that these came in a "snuff suede" option, but the brown would be as close to that as possible. I'm wearing my chocolate ones right now and the color is definitely different. That said, the shoes in the advertisement would need to be cleaned when you get them. Sapphir Suede Shampoo would work really well for that application.

Personally, I would probably try to pay a few extra dollars and try to find a new pair on sale because the pair in question do not look "gently used" as the advertisement states and because the cost of the shoes and the shampoo would come close to equaling a new pair. I paid $125 for mine, brand new; if you look around, you could probably find something similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.