1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Cronmoks in tan were just ordered! Now I just have to wait 4 weeks to get them… I guess that means they are being made just for me.

Now I gotta get some mink oil and darken them up!

2. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Very nice. I thought about buying those during the 2/$250, but it would have been forced; I don't really like the dark brown, and there weren't any other shoes in the sale that I really wanted.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  3. tucker897

tucker897 Member

thanks for the input
    i got these shoes through mail (2 for 250)
    i got big feet
    so i might limited on the sizes
    top shoe is 14c
    bottom shoe 14b

i cant go 13.5 since they dont make them

4. MrWN

MrWN Well-Known Member

What's the name of the walnut shoe?
    Not the Park Avenue, is it? Because the Park Avenue was not on the closeout list...

5. tucker897

tucker897 Member

Park Ave Walnut Grain

6. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I wonder if someone could give an advice on AE MacNeil's fit. Is the fit similar/identical to other AE's on the 7 last? Fwiw, I wear 10D in Sanfords, which is pretty much my true size (9.5E would probably work a bit better but they were sold out at the last 2 for 250 sale), but I've heard that one needs to go 1/2 size down on MacNeil.

7. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I just got a pair of Alden Indys' seconds from ShoeMart (which I subsequently returned) and I can't find any indication that they are secodns, apart from a white ubranded shoebox and no shoe bags. It might be an idiosyncrasy of this particular pair, as they have a lug sole. Yet, my Aberdeens seconds with the lug sole do have the same "shoe-mark" on them.

8. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I should have mentioned, that I was particularly curious about the sizing of MacNeil's from the rough collection (2011 webgem), in case their fit might be any different from their traditional version.

9. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Those look like Larchmonts, but I might be wrong.

10. tucker897

tucker897 Member

it is

11. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

There too big. The laces are fully closed brand new, and u have a decent amount of bowing without much pressure applied on the shoes. Have u tried 1/2 size down? Maybe be worth a shot.

12. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Yeah, Chocolate Larchmonts I think he mentioned. It looked burgundy to me, I dunno, I'll say it was the lighting

13. tucker897

tucker897 Member

i havent tried it
    i am size 14b,c
    cant imagine going to 13

14. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Well, folks that say to go down a half size for the Macneil would likely say that about most any #7 last AE shoe. I don't think they are comparing the Macneil to other #7's, they are most likely comparing it to the several popular - for good reason - number 5's. I'm guessing most folk's first AE shoe was one of the #5's and that is likely the last most people here are most familiar.

The #7 is a bit wider to begin width, plus the Macneil is a blucher, so it feels more roomy to most folks for that reason as well.

As for me, the difference is not as pronounced. In the #5, I'm most often a "snug" 10.5E.

A 10.5E Macneil fits me (and my high instep) like glove.

If you think you really ought to be a 9.5E in the Sanford, then try a 9.5E in the Macneil. I wouldn't go down any in length until you give that a go first.

1 person likes this.
  15. deburn

deburn Senior member

As someone just mentioned, the Alden Indys do have an R at the same spot where AE has theirs. I saw this myself earlier this week.

Re the AE seconds, the Katmais I just got dont have them, so I assumed it was because it was discontinued and not seconds

16. rc121

rc121 Senior member

try going to a 13 b or c, those shoes look way too wide in that length and you might found out that it works for you

17. Chezteladog

Chezteladog New Member

Thanks for the reply. I am typically an 11.5 so I did go down to 11's. I tried 11.5 in the two widths as well but too long. I think I'm set on the PA's in the 11D and I"ve been wearing the 11E's in the Strand all day and they do seem to fit better than the D's I suppose. The laces aren't all the way closed and they are tighter than the PA's in 11D. It's just that the leather on the 11E's is already creasing in various spots on the shoe. Makes me think they are going to look bad soon if they are already doing this and I haven't even worn them outside yet.

18. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    As the picture below suggests, there can be more to a mirror shine than some may believe:

[​IMG]

19. deburn

deburn Senior member

So it sounds like you use almost nothing on burgundy and black. Why nothing on the rest? I've read about how shell reacts differently to rain for different people/shoes. Looks like I'll be getting mine on Monday and Tuesday.

Couple of other shell questions in general:

1. the SA at AE told me that the JR soles that AE uses on it's shell shoes is made from shell itself. I always thought they were made of regular leather. Anyone care to comment?

2. With calf shoes some people advocate putting toe taps or sole protectors. Is something similar recommended with shell?

Thanks

20. tucker897

tucker897 Member

i just call the shoe bank
    they told its normal because shoes have been sitting box for awhile
    they suggest putting the shoe tree in shoe for few days and then try wearing them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.