• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSchott

Reaction score
allenedmonds_shoes_shelton_kirby-webgems_brown-blue_l.jpg

If you like the Rapid City but want a dressier version, the Kenilworth is a fine choice. I have it in Bourbon and it's a beautiful shoe. Bourbon is a great shade of brown with a nice patina. They are also slightly less than most Allen Edmond leather sole models.

Edit: Sorry, I quoted the wrong post above.

Last edited:

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

Regarding some of these MTO inquiries to Paul and team, are we talking just a straight material swap here, similar to their "Custom" creator on the website? Or are we talking modifications beyond that, into different styles, et. al?
Reason I ask is because Meermin has been getting my attention (and dollars) lately because of their MTO program. I would rather throw money AE's way if they offered this service at a reasonable cost.
I see they have this going: http://www.allenedmondsdigital.com/publication/?i=151736&p=28
But that doesn't exactly permit your imagination to run wild like Carmina, Meermin, Alfred Sargent, G&G and even Alden's limited MTO program.
Something like a Cambridge with skipped brouging, ostensibly creating an austerity brogue, would be choice.
Or... the ability to get your hands on some expanded dress boot offerings for once!
I fully get why AE wouldn't pursue this avenue, but my curiosity is piqued with some of the recent post about personal requests, which is why I'm putting the question to you fellow forum members.

I think the understanding is that if they can do it, they would. So if you have some custom idea you'd like to pursue, you can email Paul, and his people will get back to you regarding its feasibility.

Last edited:

Close Hoarse

Reaction score
[/URL]
Added a Vernon on the right to my wholecut Allen Edmonds collection. There some wholecut classics out there that I still wish I could get my hands on!

Nice shoes. The whole-cut is by far and away my favorite style. They're so sleek that they look as if they were designed in a wind tunnel.

CH

AE Fairfax: Black..........Merlot........Chestnut

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I'm a college student planning on going into the teaching profession.

As you can see I don't have very many posts on this forum. I'm still pretty new to dressing well.

I'm looking to buy my first pair of "real" shoes and I'm drawn to AE because of their popularity, American origins, and reputation for quality. Also it doesn't hurt that I live 10 miles away from an AE factory store so I can go in and try them in person.

Because I'm a college student and working minimal hours for minimal wages, I can only afford one pair of shoes. I suppose I could buy two pairs of cheaper shoes, but I subscribe to the "buy once cry once" mentality. So I need to pick out a single AE shoe that will be very versatile.

I want a shoe that can be dressed down for a "smart casual" look when I go out with friends, but I also want a shoe that would be at home with a slightly more formal outfit while I am leading a classroom. I'm starting my in-classroom training next year and I want to make a great impression on the faculty.

I've done my due diligence and looked at AE's lineup on their website. I quite like the price point of the Rapid City but I think it may be a little too plain and not quite sleek enough for me.

The McAllister in Walnut looks nice, and it's on sale right now for $249, but I'm afraid it might be too far on the opposite end of the spectrum in that the brogueing is a little flashy.

I'm also a fan of the Strandmok, which is the suede version of the Strand, but I'm afraid the suede renders the shoe too casual.

Any thoughts or input? Thanks for your consideration!

What about something like the Leeds (top) or the Kenilworth (bottom)?

The Leeds only come in black, but the Kenilworth comes in a variety of colours. Maybe you can get lucky and find a factory 2nd.

If you like the Rapid City but want a dressier version, the Kenilworth is a fine choice. I have it in Bourbon and it's a beautiful shoe. Bourbon is a great shade of brown with a nice patina. They are also slightly less than most Allen Edmond leather sole models.

Edit: Sorry, I quoted the wrong post above.

I think you have several great options here. I don't think that the Rapid City would be too casual for your needs. I really like it, and it will take a shine if you choose to use some polish on it. It will also dress down with jeans perfectly, and the rubber tap sole will give it some extra durability since it sounds like you will be wearing them for a multitude of purposes and may benefit from it. Since it sounds like this is going to be your workhorse shoe for the time being, I would agree that the McAllister may not be the best choice for you right now. As alvin545 said above, the Kenilworth or the Leeds would be great alternatives and would be near the same level of versatility. Both of them are more dressy than the Rapid City, but will also go great with jeans. The Leeds may knock itself out of the running though, since you probably don't want a black shoe, and it doesn't sound like you are ready to afford the shell options. I would also give some thought to the McTavish, if you like the broguing of the McAllister but just want a more robust shoe that is less dressy.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! That is a stunning image Roger. It elicits a TON of regret however, that I snoozed for a day too long on that great deal. I keep trying to find solace in the fact that I have 2 cap toe Alden boots so I really didn't need the townley.

It isn't working.
Thank you sir, I was happy with the way the photo turned out - and I'm very happy with the shoes, though they are still awaiting their maiden voyage.

Al in Philly

Reaction score
I'm not in any position to do a custom AE shoe right now, but If I could I would definitely do a simple change. I'd do a Leeds shoe on the 7 last (or maybe 5 last) in burgundy shell. It's just a small change, but I think it would be a great looking shoe.

Alden fans always jump at the chance of getting things like the indy boot on the Plaza instead of TruBalance last. Based on that, I think the altered Leeds would be a welcome addition to my collection.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not in any position to do a custom AE shoe right now, but If I could I would definitely do a simple change. I'd do a Leeds shoe on the 7 last (or maybe 5 last) in burgundy shell. It's just a small change, but I think it would be a great looking shoe.

Alden fans always jump at the chance of getting things like the indy boot on the Plaza instead of TruBalance last. Based on that, I think the altered Leeds would be a welcome addition to my collection.
I have it on the 8 last and love it.

LeviMay

Reaction score
Does or has AE ever done a shoe that's just like the Strand - same broguing around the toe cap, laces, and heel counter - but without the toe medallion?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not in any position to do a custom AE shoe right now, but If I could I would definitely do a simple change.  I'd do a Leeds shoe on the 7 last (or maybe 5 last) in burgundy shell.  It's just a small change, but I think it would be a great looking shoe.  

Alden fans always jump at the chance of getting things like the indy boot on the Plaza instead of TruBalance last.  Based on that, I think the altered Leeds would be a welcome addition to my collection. 

Interesting thought. The #1 last seems as if it was designed for my foot. It fits me so damn well that my burgundy shell Leeds get a lot of use in my rotation, much more than the shell MacNeil. The shoe that I keep going back to is the Leeds in that dark brown shell, the same color as the recent Townley's.

Would that makeup simply be a standard custom shoe order?

Ulsterman

Reaction score

What's are the ones in the middle?!
drool.gif
Looks like the 0-last, maybe? It's great, whatever it is. Thanks for posting a "real life" pic; I've been wating to see one. Those look great. Would love to see how they look under pants.
No problem, crazy comfortable out of the box, I should be able to get some additional pics with pants this weekend.

m7ia

Reaction score

Leather or rubber sole?  The Players were dumped on the Rack last Fall and there have been a significant number of Big Sur's there recently in a few different make-ups, including one like you have pictured.

They are leather-soled. I checked out Players and Big Sur, but both are wingtips while these are longwings. Any other ideas are welcome! Thanks for your help.

EDIT: I don't know how I missed this, but the box has the model name: Schautal. I've never even heard of those. Anyone else?

Last edited:

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement, Doc. I am due for my exam next month and can't wait. I have been blessed with great doctors in Montana. If you ever get here around July, I'll leave the light on for you after the sunset at 10:30 pm :)

That would certainly be pleasant, David. I haven't been to Montana since the summer of 2003, when I worked at St. Mary's Lodge & Resort as a Pizza Chef/Hamburger Griller/Fry Cook/Ice Cream Scooper. Glacier National Park is the most beautiful place I've ever been. I look forward to taking a drive down Going to the Sun Road again one day.

spluto

Reaction score
Always read a lot from here, today really need a post to ask for opinion.

Just receive a walnut Strand from AE online for a replace of other defective shoes, it is a first, but the quality of it make me have question.

The left shoe meet my expectation, while the right shoes have some problems.

The "pattern" on the upper of it seem not match with the left shoe, the cap seem smaller, vamp space seem larger, look like a different size shoe when compare with the left one. Second, the pattern itself also seem a little "rotate", I don't know how to describe it, as you can see it from the photos. The two "lines pattern" on the shoe side should align just above the heel edge under it near equally (near is OK, not asking for perfect), as the left shoe and photo from your website, but the right shoe's heel edge tend to align to different "lines" at inside and outside, in large amount, I think the photo can expand it.

The other problem concern me is the stitching above the heel area of the right shoe, it look like a mess, and I don't know what happen to it and will it affect the construction. I know it may be the line end point which should have some overlapping of the line, but you can compare it with the left one and other shoes and it seem quite abnormal.

What is your comment?

cap , vamp unmatch

right shoe stitch mess, left shoe seem fine

right shoe heel edge alignment with those 2 "lines pattern" seem quite different

left shoe heel edge alignment with those 2 "lines pattern" seem uniform

Al in Philly

Reaction score
Always read a lot from here, today really need a post to ask for opinion.

Just receive a walnut Strand from AE online for a replace of other defective shoes, it is a first, but the quality of it make me have question.

The left shoe meet my expectation, while the right shoes have some problems.

The "pattern" on the upper of it seem not match with the left shoe, the cap seem smaller, vamp space seem larger, look like a different size shoe when compare with the left one. Second, the pattern itself also seem a little "rotate", I don't know how to describe it, as you can see it from the photos. The two "lines pattern" on the shoe side should align just above the heel edge under it near equally (near is OK, not asking for perfect), as the left shoe and photo from your website, but the right shoe's heel edge tend to align to different "lines" at inside and outside, in large amount, I think the photo can expand it.

The other problem concern me is the stitching above the heel area of the right shoe, it look like a mess, and I don't know what happen to it and will it affect the construction. I know it may be the line end point which should have some overlapping of the line, but you can compare it with the left one and other shoes and it seem quite abnormal.

What is your comment?

cap , vamp unmatch

right shoe stitch mess, left shoe seem fine

right shoe heel edge alignment with those 2 "lines pattern" seem quite different

left shoe heel edge alignment with those 2 "lines pattern" seem uniform

I'm not really seeing a problem here, except for that heel thing. If you can live with that, I say keep em and enjoy. I think they look pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads