1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

if i make them any tighter i feel the pressure around the top of my foot where the laces are. the only other place i feel pressure is against my right pinky toe. this is only my 2nd time wearing them. give it more time? do the laces look ok, too loose?

2. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Hey David,
    These are indeed my first cordovans. I just got these a day or so ago, so I haven't been able to put much time into them yet. I'm using the Mac Method, so I've only worn them once so far for about 2 hours on carpet.
    They are comfortable but at the same time the leather is definitely more stiff than calf or cowhide. Sorry I can't provide more info, but it's early still.

That said, I can see why people have warned that cordovan is addictive. Dangerous stuff, why brushing them up I couldn't help but think what I'll pick up next, cordovan Leeds or the Alden PTB . . .

3. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Hopefully more knowledgeable members will chime in, but I wouldn't worry too much about the lacing. Some people have higher insteps and will have a relatively significant gap even when wearing the proper size.

In my experience, with the pinky toe issue . . . it varies. If that's the only place, you could wear them a few more times and see how they feel when they break in. If you're close to an AE store, trying one width up (D -> E) isn't a bad idea.

Are you wearing them out or just around the house to break them in? Depending on where you bought them you'll have a difficult time returning them if you've worn them outdoors.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

He's asking about ligtening a pair of brown shoes by using a lighter polish. I have lightened a pair of dark brown AE's a smidge by using the saddle brown polish and was very happy with the results. I would caution, however, that I do not think you can lighten medium or dark brown with walnut polish. I suspect it is too much of a change and that you will get dark and light streaks on your shoes. Better off buying another pair of walnut shoes if you really like hte color.

5. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

I'd try to get it from Nordstrom, I was able to get a price match for the walnut strands with the Amazon 20% off coupon and Amazon price. The package came last night and it was shipped directly from AE. I would imagine the SA from Nordstrom would be able to price match at the store. I would print out the Amazon check out screen with the discounted price and show it to the SA

6. BeraQueezy

BeraQueezy Senior member

For the seconds sale, what would you recommend? Brown neumoras or brown larchmonts? Same last but i feel neumoras look a tad bulky (though I do not have a monkstrap yet). As for larchmont's, I have several short wings but no long wing. What do you guys think?

7. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior member

Nuemora, mid part may look a tad bulky but toe on that last is sleek. I love mine

8. konoyaro

konoyaro Senior member

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the sizing of the Gramercy - is it TTS? I know it's on the 7-97 and I have no experience with that last.

9. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I own the Brown Neumoras and I don't feel they are very bulky. In fact the last they are built on has more of an elongated toe than some others.

I would maybe recommend trying them on and see what you think. I feel that mine are very sleek because of the double monk closer and cap toe makes for a smooth sleek look.

10. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I own the Brown Neumoras and I don't feel they are very bulky. In fact the last they are built on has more of an elongated toe than some others.

I would maybe recommend trying them on and see what you think. I feel that mine are very sleek because of the double monk closer and cap toe makes for a smooth sleek look.

11. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

+1 for the Neumora's. I have them as well and they're one of my favorites.

In my opinion, a point against the Larchmont is that they're longwings, but on the 3 last. Maybe I've just been "conditioned" this way, but I prefer my longwings to look more full and rounded rather than sleek. The Larchmont is a sleek looking longwing which just throws me off.

12. rc121

rc121 Senior member

it appears that I might be in the minority, but I recently got the larchmonts in chocolate from jville. I really like them and I think the chocolate color is awesome. I can't compare them to the neumoras but I'm actually looking at getting a pair in brown from this current sale. So I think the question is, why not get both?

13. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Can you post a pic of the chocolate parchments?

14. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Wow thats pretty shocking! Gonna have to keep that in mind, although why not just purchase straight from Amazon?

15. rc121

rc121 Senior member

for some reason it is not allowing me to upload from my phone, I will try a little later

16. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

14 weeks ago today I ordered my Walnut Shell MacNeils. I got a call that today they are shipping. Also shipping with them is a pair of Olive Green Strandmoks I ordered about 11 weeks ago. For all the wait, I am happy to be getting these and having the wait over with. I am sure they are beautiful I will post pics when they arrive.

1 person likes this.
  17. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

I'm at 11 weeks. Maybe my number will be coming up soon....

18. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Congrats! The Walnut Shell Cordovan is an absolutely exquisite color.

-Mike

19. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Your Dalton's are coming out terrific! Recommend you get some carpet foot time on them (if you haven't already)! -Mike

20. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Not available anymore, sadly. They are really beautiful.I have a pair of them in size 11.5D that I'm selling that have only been worn a couple times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.