Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

+1 for MacNeils. I wear mine (walnut grain) with both slacks AND jeans and out of 9 pairs of AE I own, they are one of my favorite shoes. Love the MacNeil!

2. BCer

BCer Senior member

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

I too see no problem dressing up a casual look. Here are my Strands looking like a million bucks after a good polish, then out the next day dressing up some Dockers in a business casual environment (more on the casual side). Also love my natural tan and my grey McTavishes for the same sort of look. Oh and then there's the walnut Dalton's with jeans, Chinos or dress slacks. Anything goes!

3. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

If you are a teacher the saddle shoes are classically academic. While not as versatile, these will work in your rotation.

4. robbrechter

robbrechter Well-Known Member

Bourbon McAllister is my pick. I understand it may be dressier than you think you need, but it still looks good with jeans and will pair well with any trousers you throw at it (save for black, which you shouldn't be wearing anyway). They stand out a bit because of how nice they are, not because they are bright blue or have contrast stitching, etc. They're classic.

I briefly taught right out of college and I did get much respect from my kids (high school age) initially. They tried taking advantage of me and in hindsight, I probably dressed younger. Given the chance to do it again, I would have differentiated myself as much as possible from the get go. Smart shoes, trousers or dark wash jeans that fit, a shirt, and tweed blazer gives no doubt as to who is in charge in the classroom -- the one who dresses like an adult.

None of this may apply to you and that's fine. It's just my personal experience and frankly, buying AEs is a great first step, regardless of model. Good luck with teaching. You get much respect from me for doing it.

5. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Quite true, though I'd go for a solid tan Finch or perhaps the Shelton in this case. I like the color pop versions for what they are, but not as a "first for your career workhorse shoe."

6. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I fully agree. Looking good!

7. calidist

calidist Senior member

+1 on the Kenilworth. I find it to be a highly versatile shoe.

8. nicedream

nicedream Active Member

9. squalidozzi

squalidozzi Well-Known Member

Hello all, I posted this initially in another thread and I thought it'd be a good idea to tap into the posters on this thread here.

I'd like some advice as I'm about to graduate from college and enter the working world and would really appreciate your collective knowledge...

Currently, I have a boxy pair of cordovan (the color) blucher Eccos, a pair of black blucher Bostonians (akin to these, without the stitch cap)[​IMG]

and tan Johnston & Murphy loafers.

I tentatively plan on getting two suits MTM from suitsupply (would BB MTM on sale be better?), one mid grey, one navy, and I'd like to get shoes to wear with them, in business casual settings, at night, and with jeans (these are all separate instances). I have two suits now, a charcoal pinstripe RLBL and subtle windowpane Armani Collezioni, neither of which are 100% interview-appropriate.

I was looking at AE shoes, and I thought I would get a pair of brown oxfords to round out my rotation, since I already have a serviceable black shoe (not the most formal, but that will come later). Although I was attracted to the Larchmont and other bluchers at first, now I am most interested the more formal balmorals. I'm leaning towards getting the walnut McAllisters to go with these suits along with the other settings I mentioned. Should I buy a brown Strand first, and as a second get the McTavish or McAllisters in walnut? What about other shoes in the same price range with tasteful brown oxfords?

Thanks for the help

10. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

[​IMG] And when you do a custom shoe you also get your choice of soles. I went with the natural thinking if I didn't like it easy enough to darken it. And I likely will with chili. I think you should. :nodding:

11. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

12. sevenfoldtieguy

+1

I literally wear zero pairs of balmorals casually. I have enough blucher models to fill that need. In fairness, I do not buy "casual" balmorals. In the eyes of some (not me), the very phrase is oxymoronic.

13. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

14. sevenfoldtieguy

It is a nice shoe, but I personally would never wear them with jeans. But to each their own.

15. sevenfoldtieguy

Now that is a versatile shoe. Well done. :nodding:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.