Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MSchott

MSchott Active Member

[​IMG]
    If you like the Rapid City but want a dressier version, the Kenilworth is a fine choice. I have it in Bourbon and it's a beautiful shoe. Bourbon is a great shade of brown with a nice patina. They are also slightly less than most Allen Edmond leather sole models.

Edit: Sorry, I quoted the wrong post above.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013

2. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

I think the understanding is that if they can do it, they would. So if you have some custom idea you'd like to pursue, you can email Paul, and his people will get back to you regarding its feasibility.

3. Close Hoarse

Close Hoarse Senior member

Nice shoes. The whole-cut is by far and away my favorite style. They're so sleek that they look as if they were designed in a wind tunnel.

CH

[​IMG]

AE Fairfax: Black..........Merlot........Chestnut

4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I think you have several great options here. I don't think that the Rapid City would be too casual for your needs. I really like it, and it will take a shine if you choose to use some polish on it. It will also dress down with jeans perfectly, and the rubber tap sole will give it some extra durability since it sounds like you will be wearing them for a multitude of purposes and may benefit from it. Since it sounds like this is going to be your workhorse shoe for the time being, I would agree that the McAllister may not be the best choice for you right now. As alvin545 said above, the Kenilworth or the Leeds would be great alternatives and would be near the same level of versatility. Both of them are more dressy than the Rapid City, but will also go great with jeans. The Leeds may knock itself out of the running though, since you probably don't want a black shoe, and it doesn't sound like you are ready to afford the shell options. I would also give some thought to the McTavish, if you like the broguing of the McAllister but just want a more robust shoe that is less dressy.

5. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Thank you sir, I was happy with the way the photo turned out - and I'm very happy with the shoes, though they are still awaiting their maiden voyage.

6. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

I'm not in any position to do a custom AE shoe right now, but If I could I would definitely do a simple change. I'd do a Leeds shoe on the 7 last (or maybe 5 last) in burgundy shell. It's just a small change, but I think it would be a great looking shoe.

Alden fans always jump at the chance of getting things like the indy boot on the Plaza instead of TruBalance last. Based on that, I think the altered Leeds would be a welcome addition to my collection.

7. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

I have it on the 8 last and love it.

8. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Does or has AE ever done a shoe that's just like the Strand - same broguing around the toe cap, laces, and heel counter - but without the toe medallion?

9. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Interesting thought. The #1 last seems as if it was designed for my foot. It fits me so damn well that my burgundy shell Leeds get a lot of use in my rotation, much more than the shell MacNeil. The shoe that I keep going back to is the Leeds in that dark brown shell, the same color as the recent Townley's.

Would that makeup simply be a standard custom shoe order?

10. Al in Philly

I assume it would follow the same rules that Paul Grangaard is giving the SF community. Probably the normal standard shell price - $595. That isn't bad for a custom shoe.

11. Ulsterman

Ulsterman Senior member

No problem, crazy comfortable out of the box, I should be able to get some additional pics with pants this weekend.

12. m7ia

m7ia Active Member

They are leather-soled. I checked out Players and Big Sur, but both are wingtips while these are longwings. Any other ideas are welcome! Thanks for your help.

EDIT: I don't know how I missed this, but the box has the model name: Schautal. I've never even heard of those. Anyone else?

13. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

That would certainly be pleasant, David. I haven't been to Montana since the summer of 2003, when I worked at St. Mary's Lodge & Resort as a Pizza Chef/Hamburger Griller/Fry Cook/Ice Cream Scooper. Glacier National Park is the most beautiful place I've ever been. I look forward to taking a drive down Going to the Sun Road again one day.

14. spluto

spluto Member

Always read a lot from here, today really need a post to ask for opinion.

Just receive a walnut Strand from AE online for a replace of other defective shoes, it is a first, but the quality of it make me have question.

The left shoe meet my expectation, while the right shoes have some problems.

The "pattern" on the upper of it seem not match with the left shoe, the cap seem smaller, vamp space seem larger, look like a different size shoe when compare with the left one. Second, the pattern itself also seem a little "rotate", I don't know how to describe it, as you can see it from the photos. The two "lines pattern" on the shoe side should align just above the heel edge under it near equally (near is OK, not asking for perfect), as the left shoe and photo from your website, but the right shoe's heel edge tend to align to different "lines" at inside and outside, in large amount, I think the photo can expand it.

The other problem concern me is the stitching above the heel area of the right shoe, it look like a mess, and I don't know what happen to it and will it affect the construction. I know it may be the line end point which should have some overlapping of the line, but you can compare it with the left one and other shoes and it seem quite abnormal.

What is your comment?

[​IMG]

cap , vamp unmatch

[​IMG][​IMG]

right shoe stitch mess, left shoe seem fine

[​IMG][​IMG]

right shoe heel edge alignment with those 2 "lines pattern" seem quite different

[​IMG][​IMG]

left shoe heel edge alignment with those 2 "lines pattern" seem uniform

15. Al in Philly

I'm not really seeing a problem here, except for that heel thing. If you can live with that, I say keep em and enjoy. I think they look pretty good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.