• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZsundevil

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I'm a college student planning on going into the teaching profession.

As you can see I don't have very many posts on this forum. I'm still pretty new to dressing well.

I'm looking to buy my first pair of "real" shoes and I'm drawn to AE because of their popularity, American origins, and reputation for quality. Also it doesn't hurt that I live 10 miles away from an AE factory store so I can go in and try them in person.

Because I'm a college student and working minimal hours for minimal wages, I can only afford one pair of shoes. I suppose I could buy two pairs of cheaper shoes, but I subscribe to the "buy once cry once" mentality. So I need to pick out a single AE shoe that will be very versatile.

I want a shoe that can be dressed down for a "smart casual" look when I go out with friends, but I also want a shoe that would be at home with a slightly more formal outfit while I am leading a classroom. I'm starting my in-classroom training next year and I want to make a great impression on the faculty.

I've done my due diligence and looked at AE's lineup on their website. I quite like the price point of the Rapid City but I think it may be a little too plain and not quite sleek enough for me.

The McAllister in Walnut looks nice, and it's on sale right now for $249, but I'm afraid it might be too far on the opposite end of the spectrum in that the brogueing is a little flashy.

I'm also a fan of the Strandmok, which is the suede version of the Strand, but I'm afraid the suede renders the shoe too casual.

Any thoughts or input? Thanks for your consideration!

Last edited:

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Added a Vernon on the right to my wholecut Allen Edmonds collection. There some wholecut classics out there that I still wish I could get my hands on!

What's are the ones in the middle?!
drool.gif
Looks like the 0-last, maybe? It's great, whatever it is.

My new Boca Ratons

Thanks for posting a "real life" pic; I've been wating to see one. Those look great. Would love to see how they look under pants.

Last edited:

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
Not a bad deal?!?! That's an amazing deal. Are you leaning any direction for what you may want to have made?
Thinking a longwing. Not sure yet which one. Macneil, Williams or Larchmont. Since they make the Macneil in cordovan already, I may pass on that, and try it in another style. I would really have a one of a kind if I went that way. Not sure yet though.

m7ia

Reaction score

Can someone identify these longwings for me?
Someone bought them for me from Nordstrom Rack. they came in an AE box but with no model name. They are tan suede and seem like remainders or seconds.

Thanks!

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I have spent far too much time looking at pictures of Aldens Barrie shell chukka's vs. AE Dundees. In the looks department, I think the 3 eyelet Dundee smokes the Alden. I hope to place my order for a pair of dark brown and possibly black by the end of the week.

Stoked to be adding the Dundee's to the collection.
Good choice IMO. In this picture I posted yesterday:

That is an Alden chukka in Ravello on the far right. With the Dundee in walnut next to it. In the closet side by side you can't really tell the difference between them except for the number of eyelets, the overall shape is very similar. On the Alden thread about a month ago someone posted a picture of his Alden Chukka's where he had a third set of eyelets added and several other people asked about it because they had heel lift with theirs also. The spacing on the Alden's is just a bit off to do the third set of eyelets IMO where the Dundee is perfect. I have the AE suede chukka Katmai with 3 sets of eyelets too and it locks down the heel also, just like a boot. Personal preference as I have a narrow heel and don't care for heel slip so prefer three or more eyelets. Although I have never been a fan of the whole desert boot thing with just 2 eyelets either. The Dundee is a great choice
nod[1].gif

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can someone identify these longwings for me?
Someone bought them for me from Nordstrom Rack. they came in an AE box but with no model name. They are tan suede and seem like remainders or seconds.

Thanks!

Leather or rubber sole? The Players were dumped on the Rack last Fall and there have been a significant number of Big Sur's there recently in a few different make-ups, including one like you have pictured.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if what Allen Edmonds calls "Burgundy" shell is true #8? I'm asking because it seems like from all the photos I've seen, most Alden shoes are darker...that kinda' black cherry look almost, compared to A&E in the corresponding color. So I'm curious if they're both #8 and maybe it's just a photography/lighting issue.
They both start out with shell from Horween that is #8, but use different finishing methods. A year or 2 ago AE changed the way they finish shell which now has more burgundy with black highlights to it. Until then it had a very strong brownish hue to it. The Alden finish is often referred to as eggplant which I think is accurate. I feel the new AE finish is very close to the old Black Cherry. I don't have a side by side comparison shot but should take one. Here is Alden #8:

AE burgundy:

I do the old school method when I do apply wax on the AE shell which is to use black polish alternating with Saphir cordovan cordovan polish and that helps add to the black cherry look. The Dundee's above are when new out of the box with most of the factory cream removed to let the black highlights show.

tsekh

Reaction score
I believe AE's burgundy color is closer to Horween's #8 color. Alden's darker color is probably due to the post-Horween finish they applied to the leather. From wallets to watch straps, I have never seen any #8/burgundy Horween shell leather goods that look as dark as Alden's. And you can easily find photos online of aged Aldens (with the Alden's finish wearing off overtime) that look closer to AE's burgundy color.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speaking of horses asses, new Townleys in da house: I must give a major vote of thanks to the forumite who publicized this deal. Gorgeous shoe, heckuva value.
Wow! That is a stunning image Roger. It elicits a TON of regret however, that I snoozed for a day too long on that great deal. I keep trying to find solace in the fact that I have 2 cap toe Alden boots so I really didn't need the townley. It isn't working.

tampatravel

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

As you can see I don't have very many posts on this forum. I'm still pretty new to dressing well.

I'm looking to buy my first pair of "real" shoes and I'm drawn to AE because of their popularity, American origins, and reputation for quality. Also it doesn't hurt that I live 10 miles away from an AE factory store so I can go in and try them in person.

Because I'm a college student and working minimal hours for minimal wages, I can only afford one pair of shoes. I suppose I could buy two pairs of cheaper shoes, but I subscribe to the "buy once cry once" mentality. So I need to pick out a single AE shoe that will be very versatile.

I want a shoe that can be dressed down for a "smart casual" look when I go out with friends, but I also want a shoe that would be at home with a slightly more formal outfit while I am leading a classroom. I'm starting my in-classroom training next year and I want to make a great impression on the faculty.

I've done my due diligence and looked at AE's lineup on their website. I quite like the price point of the Rapid City but I think it may be a little too plain and not quite sleek enough for me.

The McAllister in Walnut looks nice, and it's on sale right now for $249, but I'm afraid it might be too far on the opposite end of the spectrum in that the brogueing is a little flashy.

I'm also a fan of the Strandmok, which is the suede version of the Strand, but I'm afraid the suede renders the shoe too casual.

These webgems are pretty sick for a teacher shoe and you can wear them with jeans! $199 too.

I really think if you play your cards right and watch the outlet sales you can get two pairs for sure.
allenedmonds_shoes_shelton_kirby-webgems_brown-blue_l.jpg

ajmanouk

Reaction score
Not sure if I am a fan of the webgems..but of the original two I'd pick the rapid city without a doubt for your purposes.

tampatravel

Reaction score
AZsundevil if you're close to a Factory Store. Go there, get chummy with the folks there and they'll let you know what/when sales are going on. I get that service and I'm 1400 miles from the Brookfield Shoe Bank. You'll have a cashe of AE shoes before you know it.

alvin545

Reaction score

Gentlemen,

What about something like the Leeds (top) or the Kenilworth (bottom)?

The Leeds only come in black, but the Kenilworth comes in a variety of colours. Maybe you can get lucky and find a factory 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads