• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of AE carnuba wax? I have that for my black and burgundy shoes (though the Premium Polish for walnut and brown)? Will be using it with Saphir Reno. I assume that you use the wax first and then Reno?
Not a fan of it. I like the Saphir wax, which is really easy to use. I hear from others that the Kiwi wax is just as good.

envgeo

Reaction score
As mentioned previously, I have purchased some AE Strands. There is a bit of a high center feel to them under the ball of my foot (they were shipped to me). I took them back to the store and the manager said that is feeling is normal and the cork footbed with conform to my foot after a week of use and recommended that I wear them on carpet/indoors for the next week. If they don't feel right after a bit of wear, then bring them back (hence the indoor use).

Is this issue common?

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've had some issues with knee pain and my IT band while running, and I've been prescribed orthotics. Now 2 of my 3 shoes won't fit with the orthotics in them, and I have to buy new shoes :-/.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by envgeo

As mentioned previously, I have purchased some AE Strands. There is a bit of a high center feel to them under the ball of my foot (they were shipped to me). I took them back to the store and the manager said that is feeling is normal and the cork footbed with conform to my foot after a week of use and recommended that I wear them on carpet/indoors for the next week. If they don't feel right after a bit of wear, then bring them back (hence the indoor use).

Is this issue common?

I'm not sure how common it is, but it isn't unheard of. They apply the cork by dispensing a big glob of it from a machine dispenser (kindof like a softserve ice cream dispensing machine) and then they spread it around with a big blade before stitching on the sole. I am sure it ends up thicker or less evenly distributed in some shoes than others. It is reasonable to try wearing them for a week or two around your house to see how the footbed conforms, and if they don't become comfortable then return them like the SA said.

Last edited:

envgeo

Reaction score
althanis - I have recently read that strengthening the muscles in the hips (runnersworld) does more to help/stop IB issues than stretching. Anecdotal evidence - it has helped mine.

bucksfan

Reaction score
I just heard from my contact at the AE outlet (mostly because I am now contemplating a pair - how's that for the SF influence?): Here is what they currently have. If anyone out there is waiting, don't.

Style: W3000S Krause Black Wolverine - Black
Dim

Tot
D

Total on-hand at all stores:

Style: W3003S Krause Tan - Tan
Dim

Tot
D

Style: W3004S Krause Russet - Rust
Dim

Tot
D

Style: 91066S Illford Tan/Khakki - Tan Ralph Loren Boot
Dim

Tot
D

E

Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This winter I will be doing an accounting internship with a business casual dress code (button down, dress slacks, dress shoes). [...] Is the black color a good choice for the business casual dress code, or would I be best serve with a different color for daily wear, such as brown or walnut? Or perhaps a different style shoe all together, as PA's can be very formal. I'll be wearing them daily for a few weeks, until I get my first paycheck to get a second pair.

My freakish feet prevent me from contributing meaningful discussion to how well those fit. As to your concerns above, however -- black Park Avenues are among the most formal shoes you can get; they're surpassed only by patent leather or calf pumps for evening wear. There are those who would argue that black PAs are too much shoe unless you're wearing a suit, although I've occasionally worn mine with a pair of nice jeans just to be irreverent about the whole thing.

That said, if money isn't an incredibly pressing concern and presuming you decide they fit well, I'd hang on to the shoes. You'll be fine for a couple of weeks until you can snag a brown or burgundy open-laced pair, and down the road you absolutely will need a pair of black captoe balmorals for interviews or funerals or black tie or even your own wedding... and you'd kick yourself for returning an excellent pair that you picked up for a good price.

dgonsh

Reaction score
8.5 in tan coming my way!!!
How nice is the tan in this pic? top, middle boot. Thanks guys! What a steal! Kristle was so helpful and said she can't even tell if these really are factory seconds cause they look pristine.

mingus2112

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in about the Patriot fit -

I really wanted a pair of these but had been afraid about the fit issues. (Also want to wait until they have my size available in the shoebank - which, since they're new, might take awhile!) They don't have my size in ANY stores near me (12B). I know I could order them and keep sending them back as I try them, but 1) as I said, I want to wait for seconds and 2) there's only so much I can get used to walking around the only carpeted section of my house (around my bed)!

I was especially concerned with these points:

1) some people say they're too big
2) some people say they run small
3) some people have a real problem with the tightness around the strap of the loafer - this one was particularly concerning me as it's tough to tell how much this will stretch over time until you wear them for real (not just in your house)

So I saw a pair pop up on ebay that looked in decent shape. I snapped them up. Here are the pictures I saw on ebay:

Obviously the owner had some fit issues - especially with the right shoe. A lot of creasing, but good enough for me to try these out. At $50, they're great kick arounds if nothing else!

So here are the pics of what I got (excuse the poor pictures). I included my feet in very colorful wool socks I happened to be wearing:

I took those pictures the other day because I was going to ask about fit. It definitely tapers into the strap and then tapers back out again. Here's where i am with regards to fit, though. With the exception of the tightness around the strap, they fit a LITTLE larger than most of my other AE shoes. The fit would be closest (in my opinion, and from my own shoe collection) to my Malverns - which I think are on the 1 last. The weird part is that the strap, when I tried it on, felt like it was a size too small. It's TIGHT as others have mentioned. This is where the confusion is coming in whether it runs large or small. It runs large, but the strap is too small. For me, at least, this TOTALLY works. I spent hours one day trying on loafers in the AE store one day and could not find a single loafer that fit me. Either it was ready to slip off my foot or it was too tight. I think the strap on these is exactly what keeps it in check on my foot. It pretty much does what a tongue pad would do and keeps my foot pushed back towards the heel. The result is a comfortable loafer that can be a bit less snug than most other shoes, but betight enough not so slip off my heel.

Next up is the insole:

Notice how the darker part of the insole looks like it was cut out by hand and inserted afterwards? It's definitely strange. I know there was talk about a heel squeeking issue (which I actually have on the right shoe!) - perhaps this was a fix for that?

Anyway, that's my Patriot story. Hopefully this will clear up fit concerns anyone has. Bottom line is that it runs big, but the strap section is small. Weird last, but it works for me!

-James

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How nice is the tan in this pic? top, middle boot. Thanks guys! What a steal! Kristle was so helpful and said she can't even tell if these really are factory seconds cause they look pristine. 

Wow, if my Russet comes in that color, no need to do anything. I am still wondering the second status is due to color. If the fit is good perhaps I would get another one in different color if they are still there.
Are those wingtips made by AE as well?

Last edited:

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Style: 91066S Illford Tan/Khakki - Tan Ralph Loren Boot
Dim

Tot
D

E

Might have missed it - do you have a price for the RL boot?

And any idea sizing?

Appreciate it bucksfan!

Last edited:

zinc2162

Reaction score

The tan looks great!!

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might have missed it - do you have a price for the RL boot?

And any idea sizing?

Appreciate it bucksfan!

All questions I asked Cindy an hour ago.

Price is the same as the 1k, $159

Size at least TTS in the AE for RL, she said the toes are narrow. They are calf and canvas.

Yes thanks bucksfan! Another pair of 1K in tan are now gone from the chart, I'm such a boot whore I couldn't resist....
baldy[1].gif

reidrothchild

Reaction score
I called to place an order for either the tan 1k or the tan/canvas RLs, and neither were available in 11.5D. :fu: The price is so good that I considered black or "rust," but I haven't talked myself into either yet. That rust just looks too red. Kristle described it as rasberry-ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members