• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanperodhsy

Reaction score
I've worn AE as long as I can remember. I upgrade my closet with their latest trends. I love stepping out in confidence and making a statement wherever I go and I've never gone wrong with AE's collections.In fact, they are my closet staple. Hey AE haters, get your grime out of here!

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've worn AE as long as I can remember. I upgrade my closet with their latest trends. I love stepping out in confidence and making a statement wherever I go and I've never gone wrong with AE's collections.In fact, they are my closet staple. Hey  AE haters, get your grime out of here!

What is this? Our digital savvy CEO started hiring teenage bloggers to spam the interwebs?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my brown cordovan Patriots today.
The good: the shoe looks phenomenal and the brown cordovan color has a nice finish to it. in every way it is on par with an Alden LHS, minus the hand sewing on the vamp. It appears to be machine stitched but it looks almost like hand sewn--99.9 % of folks would not notice a difference. It is an all around solid design and should be very successful for AE.
The not so good: I'm not sure the fit is there for me. I ordered TTS (11B) and the length seems good, but the width is a hair wide. The vamp feels a little tight across the arch (like many have experienced with the Aldens) but not as bad as my BB LHS (which have loosened up over time). In comparing to my BB unlined LHS, the AE last has a more rounded shape to it. I think if I sized down the strap might be too painful, but I may consider it.
I may be sending these back but I need to spend a little more time wearing them tomorrow to know for sure. Right now the first fit impression is about 85%.
I will try to snap a few pix and post them tomorrow.
In other news, the brown Delrays i got (I have a chili pair already) look and fit awesome and the El Paso driving mocs feel great as well. Very happy with those purchases.

For what it's worth, AE says they are hand stitched, not machine stitched.

bucksfan

Reaction score
Great pic! I do like the red-ness of the old burgundy shell and this shows it nicely.

I think you guys have convinced me that I need to get plain toe shells... that shell color is beautiful and the plain toe really shows it off best!

Thanks! I too like the red hue in some shoes, though I really like the dark burgundy too...

Brown shell Strands today:

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also great looking shoes! You have a nice collection going.
nod[1].gif

jjr4884

Reaction score
Thanks! I too like the red hue in some shoes, though I really like the dark burgundy too...

This man has good taste! I don't have those socks however... lol. Hey, how long have you had those for? I've noticed that mine have gotten significantly darker, which i'm i'm not really too happy about. I loved that lighter brown color of them, but they are much more of a mocha now (after 6 months mind you and two very light coats of the AE cordovan cream (dark brown.)

I have Saphir Reno and their neutral cordovan cream on the way, hopefully that can bring back its nature color.

bucksfan

Reaction score
^^ thanks
biggrin.gif
Joseph A bank over-the-calf socks for those interested. I buy them when on sale during the buy 1-get 2 free sale...

My cordovan strands are about 16 months old, and I've treated them with the AE brown cream once, then switched to Saphir Renovateur. Definitely recommend the Reno, if you want to lighten them. Good luck!

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ thanks
biggrin.gif
Joseph A bank over-the-calf socks for those interested. I buy them when on sale during the buy 1-get 2 free sale...

My cordovan strands are about 16 months old, and I've treated them with the AE brown cream once, then switched to Saphir Renovateur. Definitely recommend the Reno, if you want to lighten them. Good luck!

Do you have trouble with your pants not cooperating with your OTC socks? I have just about given up on OTC's because of the static that builds up and makes my pant legs cling unnaturally. It drives me nuts. I don't have the problem with mid-calf socks. I should mention that I predominantly wear slim-fit chinos due to my overly casual work environment. It may just be the closer fitting heavier material, and I may not have the issue with suit/dress trousers.

jjr4884

Reaction score
^^ thanks
biggrin.gif

I will be getting it on Tuesday, so we'll see how they come out. I'll do one from start to finish before I do the other shoe. Love these shoes... I would by them in any and every color, by far their best shoe hands down.

Do you have trouble with your pants not cooperating with your OTC socks? I have just about given up on OTC's because of the static that builds up and makes my pant legs cling unnaturally. It drives me nuts. I don't have the problem with mid-calf socks. I should mention that I predominantly wear slim-fit chinos due to my overly casual work environment. It may just be the closer fitting heavier material, and I may not have the issue with suit/dress trousers.

When I wear OTC socks, i'll cuff the top part once, helps tremendously

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be getting it on Tuesday, so we'll see how they come out. I'll do one from start to finish before I do the other shoe. Love these shoes... I would by them in any and every color, by far their best shoe hands down.

When I wear OTC socks, i'll cuff the top part once, helps tremendously

I'll try that, thanks!

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PsylentStorm

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions on my next AE purchase. I already have:

Black Flatirons
Brown Fifth Streets
Merlot McAllisters
Walnut Strands

While I plan on getting a brown shell Strand at some point, that may have to wait until next year as a birthday gift for myself. In the meantime, I'm debating between the Walnut burnished calf Jeffersons or the Bourbon Larchmonts.

Any thoughts?

g.michael

Reaction score

For what it's worth, AE says they are hand stitched, not machine stitched. 

That's why I was paying close attention to it. Legal wording is funny these days (and I'm not a lawyer), so I wondered if you hand feed something through a sewing machine (as AE does), does that give you legal right to say "hand-stitched" vs. "hand-sewn". Alden can say "hand-sewn" because somebody is actually using two needles and and awl and actually manually sewing their LHS loafer. Shades of gray. Either way, the shoe looks extremely nice.

jjr4884

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions on my next AE purchase. I already have:

Black Flatirons
Brown Fifth Streets
Merlot McAllisters
Walnut Strands

While I plan on getting a brown shell Strand at some point, that may have to wait until next year as a birthday gift for myself. In the meantime, I'm debating between the Walnut burnished calf Jeffersons or the Bourbon Larchmonts.

Any thoughts?

Do you like the rutledge in burnished walnut? You arleady have a brogued wingtip, and merlot is by far the best color for that. I have a similar line up, walnut strands, merlot mcallisters, and shell brown strands. plain cap toe is next, and i think the rutledge will be the winner either in black or burnished calf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members