Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

You are right that you have to approach wording with some skepticism these days. My first impression was that Alden is just using a heavier gauge thread on their LHS. The thinner thread on the Patriot makes it look a bit more machine like. I find that AE is amongst the best when it comes to transparency and they know they are under a lot of scrutiny, so I would like to think they aren't playing with words in order to be deceitful.

2. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

Something I've wondered for a while: what's the difference between the Byron and the Fifth Avenue? They look identical to my untrained eye. Is it simply the same design made on a different last?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012

3. PsylentStorm

PsylentStorm Active Member

Yeah, I could use a plain cap toe, but I guess if I were to get one it would be in a darker, more conservative color in dark brown or black. The thing with the Rutledge is that I'm still on the fence on the perforations. I prefer the typical broguing, but I'm waiting to see if they'll grow on me.

4. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

So would your recommendation be go TTS for the Patriot or 1/2 size down to account for stretch of a loafer?

5. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I do sometimes - some pants do better than others. I find it varies with pant material and closeness (i.e. tapered leg vs. straight). I tend to wear either suit pants or dress slacks, mostly in wool, and almost always cuffed. I find that the cotton OTC socks (like the JAB ones) tend to be a little less binding.

6. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Berkshires today:

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

I think the brogue pattern is great... yea its a little different/modern, but I think they look really sharp and sleek. The toe and the cap location are perfect which mean the most to me...

8. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Great to know. Thanks!

9. facet

facet Senior member

If it had to be either of those two, I would go with the Larchmonts. As much as I love my Walnut Jeffersons, I think it would be a little redundant in your case. I would have to agree with jjr4884 though, that another style of shoe like the Rutledge would compliment your shoe collection more nicely.

10. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

I tried these on again today--personally i say size down 1/2 size. There is just too much room in these all over--from the heel to toe to side, and they will loosen up a little more as my foot settles into the cork footbed. Moving down, however, will bring in the issue of tightness across the strap, so I am not sure if I will actually do that. May just send them back and move on.

I've been comparing these to the Alden LHS, but just to clarify, I do not have the Alden LHS, just the unlined version of the LHS from Brooks Brothers, which is a great fit at 11B and very comfortable now that my foot has settled into it. I have heard different views on whether the Alden LHS and its Brooks Brothers counterpart result in the same fit. Incidentally, the AE person I spoke to said the new 6 last was very comparable to the 5 last--narrow but shorter. I will agree that it is shorter, but outside of that it is not comparable to the 5 last. My 11B 5 last shoes from AE fit way more snug than this last. She suggested TTS or going up a half size--no way for me.

I have some pics and will try to post tonight.

11. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

Side note: Their Thanksgiving sale is starting on Sunday.

12. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

I haven't gotten that flier. What shoes are on sale?

13. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Thanks! Snagged them from a Polo outlet last summer (they're actually Rugby) for about $30 IIRC and that was their first time out.

14. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Ladies and gentleman, this forum has officially gone TOO FAR!

15. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

Guys I have the bourbon stand would brown shell strand be too close to have both

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.