1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdmcallister

cdmcallister Well-Known Member

Im
    you have to give them your email[/quotI
    I'm assuming if they are site admins they could look at my profile and see my email but to make it easy, my email is cdmcallister@gmail.com
    Thanks qual

2. Septimus

Septimus Senior member

There's your confusion.

SA = sales associate, not site admin. It's an Allen Edmonds thing, not a styleforum thing.

:D

3. InHocSignio

InHocSignio Senior member

Why did no one answer this guy's question, especially those with lots of expertise/shoes? Well, I'm giving my opinion: The photos look really bad to me, even at seconds quality if you purchased them from AE via that route, and I would return them immediately. No, that bump isn't supposed to be their and I'd be hugely annoyed by the obviousness of the torn welt.

4. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

am i missing something here? don't all welted shoes have a seam? all of my aldens do.

5. edmorel

edmorel Senior member

yeah. Alden is the king of selling "seconds" as firsts. For the AE price, while not excusable, I would not sweat the welt but for Alden's price, its just sloppy, "lets make as many shoes as quickly as we can" work.

6. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Thanks for the response. I actually got them from eBay from this post, and they're supposed to be first quality. Sadly, they don't have any more in 8.5D, so I probably won't be able to exchange them. Perhaps it wasn't meant to be. Maybe I would be better off making a custom brown-on-brown for $165 after $35 shoe donation discount.

7. buckeyefan

buckeyefan Member

All the outlets have access to the same list of shoes. Any outlet can help you with a list.

8. buckeyefan

buckeyefan Member

No not right now. The Souls 4 Souls starts tomorrow. Donate a pair of shoes and get $35 off a new pair of shoes. Jville 740-948-9033

9. buckeyefan

buckeyefan Member

Just doesn't apply to clearance or discounted shoes. Must be a full 2nd quality price shoe.

10. adamdurbin

adamdurbin Senior member

A picture of the family:
    9D in the black Bayfield was too tight, so I got rid of them and replaced with the black eagle county, which was probably one of the best AE purchases I have ever made. The leather is quite nice, and takes a nice kiwi shine.

In the picture:
    1. Vintage Fifth Avenues - oxblood/mahogany calf, muted with cordovan colored polish
    2. Eagle County - black calf
    3. Daltons - brand new in Grey calf
    4. Daltons - chocolate brown calf
    5. Daltons - walnut calf
    [​IMG]

11. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

12. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

13. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

Hey Sizzle, Those Brooks wingtips look absolutely phenomenal. Even though I missed the big 2nd's sale, and just bought 4 new pair of AE's this week, including 2 pairs of wingtips, one being McAllisters in Walnut, I am still tempted to acquire those Brooks wingtips as well. Do you know what Last they are on and can you provide any comparison on sizing versus other AE shoes? Have you identified what factors deemed these to be 2nd quality? Thanks.

14. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Thanks!

As far as I know, they're made on the 5-last 4-last, but since they have the kilt lacing, they fit a bit looser over the top of the foot. I bought the same size as any other off that last, but I'll say they felt just a little bit looser. The only part that needed any breaking in was the sole, but that took no time. They're incredibly comfortable.

If you grab them, you might want to have a cobbler stitch one side of the tongue to the upper (discretely) to keep it from sliding to one side.

As far as the flaw, the only thing I could spot on these was that the burnishing on the tongue was a bit dark on one side of one shoe, but it's under the eyelets by quite a margin. Though, with how slight that is, I'm not sure that even counts. I really looked them over thoroughly and could find only that.

Even though you have wingtips, these are far from similar to anything else I bet you picked up. First of all, they're spectators. They're also a bit more squared in the toe (mainly the sole), and the lacing is unique (kilt and tassels).

Edit: Apparently, unlike other AE for BB shoes, these are on the 4-last, which makes sense since the toe is squared off a bit more.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  15. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Yeah, my concern is with how that lining meets the unlined portions and leaves these shoes with a funny shape. Here's what they look like when they're on.

[​IMG]

You can see my feet leaving a round bump in the unlined portion, and then there's a very unsmooth transition to the toe box. They just look awkward. Is this just a problem with this pair, or is it true of all Neumoks?

16. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Are these a little too narrow for you? You seem to bulge where the ball of your feet are.

17. delmar

delmar Senior member

Something I'll add now that I've had a few days to wear both pairs, the olive and football Neumoks is that the football pair fit just a tad bit looser than the olive pair.

18. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

They sure look like they're too narrow, but they actually feel pretty good. They're 8.5D just like my Strands and Elgins. I think they just appear too narrow because of the strange bumpiness. Actually, the left shoe may actually be a little narrower than the right, as I cannot lace them as tight.

19. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Is this because it's thicker leather?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.