• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucksfan

Reaction score

bucksfan and dsmivtr- thank you for posting pictures of your burgendy shell Cambridge's. Mine came Friday evening and I have been brushing and breaking them in when I find time. What a great shoe, they already are making me believe that they will be one of, if not the favorite in my collection. Very similar to the first pair of shell shoes I admired in black cherry many years ago that cost a month's pay back then, and I vowed that some day I would own a pair. Hopefully the third time will be a charm for the Bradley's but I have my "horsey" fix for awhile now :)
VERY nice Cambridges, Cold Iron. It looks like you got some nice variance in color too. Glad if my pics helped you make your decision. Mine are far and away my favorites, and I am actually considering getting a black pair too. I hope they get the issue figured out on your bradleys.

harlequin782

Reaction score
Yeah, In my opinion, nothing in the Allen Edmonds line up is more impressive than a pair of Cambridges. Even Strands have to bow in the presence of Cambridges.

This website has some of the best pics of the Cambridge (and cordovan Leeds) Ive seen:

http://www.classicshoesformen.com/shoes/allen-edmonds-shell-cordovan-full-wing-tip-oxford-brogue-45e

<scroll all the way down>

http://www.classicshoesformen.com/s...-cordovan-full-wing-tip-oxford-brogue-42-wide

<scroll all the way down>

Ill get a pair eventually.

Last edited:

dancingbear

Reaction score
Those Burgundy Cambridges look great! I have the Cambridge in black and love them.

I want a burgundy shell and have been thinking about the McNeil for a change of pace. Does anyone know if the burgundy color of the McNeil and Cambridge is the same?

Snedley

Reaction score
I have a general inquiry regarding AE shoes. I want to get a pair but being that I'm a college student on a budget I want to try my luck on ebay. So regarding the fit. I measure a 9 D on a brannock device. Is that the size I should purchase. I tried a pair on and they seemed fine. Stiff and a tad of heel slippage. Is that normal? TIA
What was the arch measurement because that's your real size. If you measure 9 in length but a 9.5 arch then 9.5 is your size. You may be a 9.5 C and no, the hell won't slip just because the shoe is 1/6" longer because the width will be narrower. Going down in size and getting a wider shoe won't fit better as far as hells.

Snedley

Reaction score
What was the arch measurement because that's your real size. If you measure 9 in length but a 9.5 arch then 9.5 is your size. You may be a 9.5 C and no, the hell won't slip just because the shoe is 1/6" longer because the width will be narrower. Going down in size and getting a wider shoe won't fit better as far as hells.
heels

itsmejson

Reaction score
i just received my chili basic wide belt to go w/ my chili byrons
- anyone experience w/ the chili belt find that it doesn't even look similar in color?
- the shoe has more red compared to the belt

Last edited:

bucksfan

Reaction score
Those Burgundy Cambridges look great! I have the Cambridge in black and love them.

I want a burgundy shell and have been thinking about the McNeil for a change of pace. Does anyone know if the burgundy color of the McNeil and Cambridge is the same?

Yes, the raw material is the same, and the same shade. Keep in mind, there are coloration and pigment variations when you go to a shell cordovan color other than black. That's part of its charm.

MrDrumngun

Reaction score
I don't think I got an arch measurement. Also I had to go from a C to a D because the shoe hurt too much as it was pinching my toes on my right foot.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i just received my chili basic wide belt to go w/ my chili byrons
 - anyone experience w/ the chili belt find that it doesn't even look similar in color?
 - the shoe has more red compared to the belt

I have 4 AE models in chili. While they are all close, they each have a slight difference from the other. I have an AE wide basic dress belt in chili and it is very close to all 4 of my chili shoes. I wouldn't say it is an exact match to all 4, but it is close enough for me. I also have the AE Parliament in what they call a saddle brown, but it is very close to the AE chili shoes I have - in fact, I wear my chili belt with the Parliaments.

I figure each shoe / belt has a different leather with different poroisity, grain, etc. Therefore, the dyes will absorb differently and the color will not be an exact match on all of the items.

Here are my chili and saddle brown shoes - all taken under identical lighting.

benton.JPG

bradley3.JPG

maxfield.JPG

winhall.JPG

parliament3.JPG

Chris

itsmejson

Reaction score
I have 4 AE models in chili. While they are all close, they each have a slight difference from the other. I have an AE wide basic dress belt in chili and it is very close to all 4 of my chili shoes. I wouldn't say it is an exact match to all 4, but it is close enough for me. I also have the AE Parliament in what they call a saddle brown, but it is very close to the AE chili shoes I have - in fact, I wear my chili belt with the Parliaments.
I figure each shoe / belt has a different leather with different poroisity, grain, etc. Therefore, the dyes will absorb differently and the color will not be an exact match on all of the items.
Here are my chili and saddle brown shoes - all taken under identical lighting.

Chris
Appreciate your input and pics Chris.

I looked at the belt and shoes today in natural light as opposed to my dull room light and they look very close also now.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Appreciate your input and pics Chris.

I looked at the belt and shoes today in natural light as opposed to my dull room light and they look very close also now.

Excellent point - I have noticed the colors do appear different in natural light compared to indoor lighting.

That belt looks to be a pretty close match. I figure there is enough gap between your shoes and belt, nobody will know if it isn't an exact match:)

Chris

jjr4884

Reaction score
Do the Strands, FAs, and PAs go on sale during the Nordstrom Anniversary sale?

Personally, I would give the shoe department a call and check with them. I doubt it... if so, I will definitely grab another pair or so. Also, if you are in the market for a black shoe, the Magnanni 'Federico' caught my eye the second one of the salemen put them on my foot. If I can get a pair of those close to $100, that would be a score and a half.

As for AE... I can't get enough

Strands in walnut were my first purchase back in February
McAllisters in merlot in April, which are gorgeous
Neumoks in blue I just got on Friday
And lastly... got another pair of the Strands in brown shell cordovan.... hit them with the brush yesterday, I'll get them on at some point this week. Can't wait.

So comfortable, quality is great, and I get nothing but compliments. Best part it, I can wear any pair for 14 hours a day and my feet are completely fine. Love it.

Last edited:

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any opinions on the AE Shortstop for a casual boat shoe for wear with shorts +/- chinos or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads