1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evolved

evolved Senior member

Anyone have any convincing reason why I should go with the walnut Dalton over the dark chocolate calf Dalton (or vice versa)? I love both of them but can't decide on which one to go with. It'll be worn primarily with jeans or khaki's but will see the office for business casual days, too.

Pics for reference:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: I've already got a pair of walnut Strands and a pair of the brown chromexcel Bayfields.....so both dark brown and light brown are already represented in my closet.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  2. mikelon

mikelon Member

IMO the Dark chocolate looks much more versitale. You could pull jeans off with them, or as the picture shows, slacks.

3. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

I have the walnut calf and LOVE them. That said, I will buy the brown ones as well, eventually. They'r every different but both very beautiful, IMHO.

4. NefariousSabatour

NefariousSabatour Senior member

I have them both and love them. The walnut looks better with denim though. Actually, I'm wearing them today:

[​IMG]

5. StruckDumb

StruckDumb Member

I also have the walnut and really enjoy them. I think they are very versatile and look great as they get broken in.

6. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

Agree with you 100%!

7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I have asked myself the same question. :brick:

8. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I asked my SA to order it in, so I will reserve my opinions till then. Although, if the Rutledge is an indicator of where the cap will sit, I agree, too short. Interestingly, on the Rutledge I tried, the creasing looked like it would form on the edge of the cap toe. If it was any higher on the upper, the creasing would cut straight through the cap toe completely.

Maybe the new 333 last is just not for me, and I should just get the Peal & Co perf. cap toe...

9. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Pure speculation, but I think this is why AE has the cap toe line so close to the toe. The Soho and sleeker models with a well placed line only have five eyelets. The Park Avenue and the Harrison both have six, which (I suspect) AE does to get a more comfortable fit for its customers. I have a feeling that one consequence of the six eyelet shoe is that the area where the cap toe line should be is dangerously close to where the shoe is likely to crease, which is why AE moves it closer to the toe. Pure speculation.

By the way, the Peal perf cap toe has 5 eyelets and is absolutely beautiful. I had to return my 12D because it was too narrow and am waiting on an 11.5E to come into stock. Waiting. . . . still waiting. . .

10. StruckDumb

StruckDumb Member

@ evolved, where did this picture of the walnut daltons come from? I'm not entirely sure what is grabbing my attention so much, but they look excellently worn in here.

11. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Looking at the Harrison pics in brown, on the AE website, they look just aweful. They could not have picked a more mangled pair of AE's take pics of, they look like third quality shoes... :fu:

12. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

River Oaks....:eh:

13. wgiceman

wgiceman Senior member

I did have the Soho and the Evanston and they are both great looking shoes. However, due to the cap toe line being farther back, the natural crease of the shoe was on the cap toe itself. It really did not bother me too much. I loved the shoes, but the last shape caused them to pinch my pinky toe. I understand that the 333 last is similar to the 00 last which the Soho and Evanston were on, but there is slightly more room in the toe area. I will have to try on a pair to see if that is correct.

14. evolved

evolved Senior member

I put "Allen Edmonds Dalton" into google and it was one of the initial pictures. Here's the site it came from, not sure what it is.

http://www.tiawitty.com/2012/01/allen-edmonds-dalton-boot.html

15. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

Just stopped into my local AE store in Chicago. They already have a lot of the new styles in stock. I tried on the grey Black Hills, grey Aberdeen, dark brown Aberdeen, and the black Harrison. Really liked the grey Black Hills and dark brown Aberdeen - both were super comfortable and sharp looking. Instead of a cork insole, they have more of a thin foam padded insole. I felt both shoes ran true to my usual AE size of 9D.

Similar to the other 333 last shoes, the Harrison runs about 1/2 size too big. I usually wear a 9D but had to go down to an 8.5D. It's a sharp looking shoe, but I still think the cap toe is too far forward on the shoe. I felt it looked a bit awkward.

I'm very much looking forward to the other new Fall styles coming out!

16. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

As an FYI, Brooks Brothers has greatly expanded its AE collection - Park Avenues, Strands, Fifth Avenues, Strands, McNeil's, McAllister's, the distressed shoes and on and on. http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSortOrder.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=524 The only downside is that the dress shoes are listed at $368, which has them selling at $276 during most of the sales (25% off) and $257 for the Corporate Incentive events (30% off). Seems like you will always be able to do better than Brooks Brothers price wise.

17. reydogg23

reydogg23 Senior member

Lombards and Target socks.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. NefariousSabatour

NefariousSabatour Senior member

19. MOCKBA

MOCKBA Active Member

As others below have now pointed out, it sounds like the insole is poron. I know a handful prefer it, but I find this a bit dissapointing as I will not purchase poron shoes due to preferring natural leather for numerous reasons. I would have thought the rubber outsole on the Aberdeen would provide enough extra cushioning. Paul, please do a leather insole on the Eagle County; that thick rubber sole will be all the cushioning we need.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  20. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

Hold on. From my understanding, they use a poron insole, but continue to use the cork as well. Some people prefer the extra cushion of the poron, but the cork will always be there to mold to your foot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.