Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evolved

evolved Senior member

Good to see ya over here, buddy [​IMG]

I may be getting my hands on some info as to what AE's will be on sale for Nordstroms anniversary sale. If I can, I'll post up what is going on sale.

2. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I really like that shoe. If I didn't have a Sebago boat shoe that is almost identical to it, I would have purchased them as soon as they were released.

I saw them in person at the Dallas AE store and they look great in person.

Chris

3. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 Senior member

Just got a pair of AEs strands. Loving the construction and look. It was tight at first, so I sort of forced my foot into the shoe, it may have softened the heel a bit...

4. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I really don't like that strange stitching on the back - makes it look like a frankenshoe imo.

5. barhydtp

barhydtp Member

Conditioned yesterday, in wild today

[​IMG]

6. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I don't mind the stitching . . . it's exactly the same as the stitching on the AE Westbrook, Sperry Topsider Authentic Originals and Sebago Docksides (except it's a different color), so it's pretty standard on most boat shoes.

7. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I went through this between the Shortstop and Eastport. In the end I purchased the Eastport back when it was on sale. I liked the two tone sole better on the Eastport, it looked a bit more elegant to me. As does the two tone stitching. And boat shoes to me should have drain holes even if your a sand crab pretending to be a sailor [​IMG]

This summer I have been wearing them almost every night when I get home from work, without socks of course. And on weekends including when I go into town for a short trip to the grocery or hardware store. I used Obenhaulf's leather oil on mine to waterproof them. I wanted to keep the light tan color and was successful, they are now a wonderful butterscotch color plus waterproof and so far it has kept stains off them. The Shortstop leather appears to be identical. I clean them with saddle soap and retreat with oil after when needed. Lighting and the picture is poor, they are actually lighter and better looking than it shows-

[​IMG]

8. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Hiii Budddyyyyyyy

Ya let me know if you can find out. I would think that it varies per store... The Nordstrom's in Providence has a very limited quantity that they hold in store. They can order any style, however I'm sure the sale will be to the shoes that they carry. Of the half dozen or so, maybe 8... the strand is the only one to consider. Other than that, they have some tassel loafers and some pretty sad looking bluchers.

9. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Very nice, thanks for posting both pictures. How do they fit?

10. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Beautiful. Its a shame that the 2 last fits me weird. The norwich fit much larger than the hales (exec last based on the 2) and I just couldn't get enough lockdown with the high instep. My feet were swimming in the shoes, so I was forced to return.

11. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

this is exactly why I keep on getting more and more AEs.

12. Snedley

Snedley Senior member

That sliding piece that fits the bone of your large toe is not there for decoration but to measure the arch. You know that your overall length is 9 so you should never buy a shoe smaller than that. But you arch may be a 9.5 or even a 10 and that is your true length.So your real size may be 9.5 C or even a 10 B or C. A shoe pinching toes almost always means you need a larger size not width. Getting a wider shoe will likely just make the heel slip. Anyway, you need to go to a real AE store and be measured and then try on various sizes widths and lasts to get a perfect fit. Buying shoes online or at outlets where the salesmen are $10 an hr. units who just ring shoes up and know nothing are not how you should be buying shoes.

13. Breedlove

Breedlove Senior member

Well, the shoes came in today.
    As they are seconds, I could tell right away why they were rejected as firsts (which is very surprising considering how long it took me to find the flaws in my other AE seconds).
    Left and right shoes were very noticeably different in color, which is why I sent the original pair back for exchange (but this was more evident on this pair), and stitching was way off on the left shoe (so much so that some of the brogue-ing ended up welted into the sole).
    At the end of the day, the shoes were too tight around my toes and will be sent back for a larger size.

Now I have to consider whether or not I'd like the pair I originally sent back for exchange, to swap for a different shoe altogether (pretty much my only choices are the Leeds or Bradley in burgundy), or to get a return.

As much as I want to say that I'm dissatisfied with the quality of the shoes I've received, I really can't complain about as they are factory seconds + AE customer service has been more than helpful and accommodating! Probably the best customer service I've dealt with in a long while and it looks like I will be in touch with them over the next week or so as I get this exchange issue sorted out.

14. MrDrumngun

MrDrumngun Member

Thanks. They did measure with the sliding piece and said I was a 9 D but it was just a retailer not an official AE store. I may check a nicer store in a New Orleans hoping that they know more.

15. zchen

zchen Senior member

does anyone have pictures of blue neumok with jeans/chinos?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.