• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigCheese

Reaction score
Hey guys,

One more quick question before my interview tomorrow. I am trying to figure out a tie to go with my charcoal suit and the black Fifth Aves. I want to wear a red paisley tie I have that is a deep red, not too loud, and has a very subtle paisley pattern. Do you guys think red is too bold? It is most like the tie on the left.

Last edited:

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[ATTACHMENT=2354]P11912659.jpg (19k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Hey guys, 

One more quick question before my interview tomorrow. I am trying to figure out a tie to go with my charcoal suit and the black Fifth Aves. I want to wear a red paisley tie I have that is a deep red, not too loud, and has a very subtle paisley pattern. Do you guys think red is too bold?  It is most like the tie on the left. 

Yes, red is too bold. Go with something more somber like navy. Maybe even grey.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark red is fine, depends on what color shirt. Sharp contrast between shirt, tie, and suit is very authoritative. Low contrast or tone on tone is softer more sociable. What kind of image do you want of project?

ajmanouk

Reaction score

Red is fine, but I would think twice about a paisley tie.  Wear something more conservative, like a solid or repp stripe.

+1 I've worn charcoal suit, white shirt, dark red tie to many interviews...but no paisley

Ayrton

Reaction score
As a man who enjoys clothes, and conducts interviews, I would not suggest the paisley tie. I can't say it is a "deal killer", but why give the interviewer something to think about besides you?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, red is too bold. Go with something more somber like navy. Maybe even grey.

+1

While this question might be better served in the "Ask a Question, Get an Answer" thread, I would say no red.

Red is an emotion inspiring color, love, anger, aggression in general. Things that I do not think should be brought to the table yet. I recognise that it is a popular color tie for lawyers and doctors, but not for an interview. Try something more muted or subtle, if not good luck to you anyways...

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm TTS using fit guide on #5 last. I can also go up 1/2 on length and down one on width.

Last edited:

rootskier

Reaction score
Can anyone explain my mystery score? Got these shell Sanfords for an absolutely screaming deal. What is up with the label? There is no way shell Sanfords sold for the price indicated on the label. In any case, I paid way less than the seconds price (they are likely seconds, with a very slight discoloration on one side of the vamp, but hardly a deal-breaker at this price).

Does anyone know approximately when these were made? Is the label from an AE store?

0HCRV.jpg

5SdzD.jpg

Last edited:

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone explain my mystery score? Got these shell Sanfords for an absolutely screaming deal. What is up with the label? There is no way shell Sanfords sold for the price indicated on the label. In any case, I paid way less than the seconds price (they are likely seconds, with a very slight discoloration on one side of the vamp, but hardly a deal-breaker at this price).
Does anyone know approximately when these were made? Is the label from an AE store?
0HCRV.jpg

5SdzD.jpg

How much did you pay for them?

rootskier

Reaction score
$160. They photograph weird. The color is almost a chocolate brown (like the shell Strands I have seen pictures of here).

Last edited:

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I picked up a pair of AE Strand's in the walnut calfskin last summer. fell in love. Everyone loves the shoes and I make an effort to wear them as often as possible. I saw that AE does custom shoe trees so I had to get a pair to keep them in great shape.

Haha... this is great. Was it extra for customizing? If so, how much more?

guyfawkes

Reaction score
Guys.. My AE strands arrived today.. When I opened up the box my face went
wow.gif

These look absolutely stunning! I carefully put them on and laced them up. I was so scared to walk around normally in them due to creating a crease up front (which is inevitable), so I was flat footing around smiling like an idiot. Mind you these are my first 'real' pair of dress kicks.. I have been booting around in some stacy adams, but now my feet feel like they are in paradise. I am just adoring these shoes right now, they look so great, I don't know how I am going to man up and walk with them outside.. I just can't bear the thought of wearing these outside or creating creases on these.. help :D

edit: here is a pic I just took. Difficult to capture its actual color, its a bit darker than this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads