• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakej

Reaction score
they were $30 for the pair. figured it was worth it since I think they run about $20 at a department store and these are made in the US.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys.. My AE strands arrived today.. When I opened up the box my face went :wow:

These look absolutely stunning!  I carefully put them on and laced them up.  I was so scared to walk around normally in them due to creating a crease up front (which is inevitable), so I was flat footing around smiling like an idiot.  Mind you these are my first 'real' pair of dress kicks.. I have been booting around in some stacy adams, but now my feet feel like they are in paradise.  I am just adoring these shoes right now, they look so great, I don't know how I am going to man up and walk with them outside.. I just can't bear the thought of wearing these outside or creating creases on these.. help :D

edit: here is a pic I just took.  Difficult to capture its actual color, its a bit darker than this.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys.. My AE strands arrived today.. When I opened up the box my face went :wow:

These look absolutely stunning!  I carefully put them on and laced them up.  I was so scared to walk around normally in them due to creating a crease up front (which is inevitable), so I was flat footing around smiling like an idiot.  Mind you these are my first 'real' pair of dress kicks.. I have been booting around in some stacy adams, but now my feet feel like they are in paradise.  I am just adoring these shoes right now, they look so great, I don't know how I am going to man up and walk with them outside.. I just can't bear the thought of wearing these outside or creating creases on these.. help :D

edit: here is a pic I just took.  Difficult to capture its actual color, its a bit darker than this.

Strands handle creasing incredibly well, it has a small a section on the camp to do this. Just break that area in with some conditioner before you go out in them, and enjoy.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone explain my mystery score? Got these shell Sanfords for an absolutely screaming deal. What is up with the label? There is no way shell Sanfords sold for the price indicated on the label. In any case, I paid way less than the seconds price (they are likely seconds, with a very slight discoloration on one side of the vamp, but hardly a deal-breaker at this price).
Does anyone know approximately when these were made? Is the label from an AE store?

They look like shell to me, especially the tell tale creasing. I would guess it was an error in your favor, enjoy.

bucksfan

Reaction score
Quote:
Can anyone explain my mystery score? Got these shell Sanfords for an absolutely screaming deal. What is up with the label? There is no way shell Sanfords sold for the price indicated on the label. In any case, I paid way less than the seconds price (they are likely seconds, with a very slight discoloration on one side of the vamp, but hardly a deal-breaker at this price).
Does anyone know approximately when these were made? Is the label from an AE store?

5SdzD.jpg

Nice deal - they are definitely shell cordovan, and the price label is probably accurate from when they were manufactured. I think the Sanford was available in shell cordovan in the mid- to late-90's, and were available special order after that (been spending too much time looking through those old AE catalogues). That sole marking (without the "JR" logo) was used a number of years ago on their shell shoes - I'd guess those shoes are at least 10 years old. Make sure you keep them moisturized as they break in, in case they were stored in a dry environment.

Last edited:

Hoofit

Reaction score

0HCRV.jpg

Are you sure they are shell? I have a had calfskin shoes recrafted with JR Soles and they will come back saying shell cordovan on the sole.

harlequin782

Reaction score
without even looking at the soles, you can tell by the plush creases in the uppers that those are shell

Last edited:

rootskier

Reaction score
100% shell. I have a pair of calf Sanfords (+ other calf AE shoes). These are totally different. Also, the box is marked shell and they came with an AE card about caring for shell.

bucksfan

Reaction score
PSA for you shell cordovan AE junkies:

Through April 1, AE has a shell sale going on:
Seconds are $299
Firsts are $399 (on select in-stock pairs).

I just got my order in for Daltons and Cambridges, so order away!

P.s. If you don't already work with an AE s.a. call my man Brian in Jeffersonville, OH at 740-948-9033 (he gave me the heads up)

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA for you shell cordovan AE junkies:
Through April 1, AE has a shell sale going on:
Seconds are $299
Firsts are $399 (on select in-stock pairs).
I just got my order in for Daltons and Cambridges, so order away!
P.s. If you don't already work with an AE s.a. call my man Brian in Jeffersonville, OH at 740-948-9033 (he gave me the heads up)

I wish I knew about these prices when I bought my shell Macneils for $499 last month. That makes the shell leeds very tempting for me right now.

mikeman

Reaction score
So Im going to bring back my Elgins, and see if a 9E is a better fit. Question though, as of now the left foot fits perfect, but I think I need a E for the right foot. If I do exchange them for a 9e, will they left foot feel lose, or is the difference between a E and D minimal? I also wonder because when I lace them up, both side of the vamp pretty much are together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads