• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Fifth Avenues are even more than 30% off. Wonder how much the Park Avenues will be? I hope not 15%...I might just have to go with the FA in that case :fu:

mikeharo

Reaction score
How do you size between the 5 last and 7 last? My Strands have a little room in size 8.5 but would be snug at 8 so I'm thinking staying with an 8.5 for the 7 last. Does that make sense?

mikeman

Reaction score
Any idea where I could find some AE Mora (brown / 9.5D)?
I know its an old style, but thought someone might know where to find some....Im not sure that I like the toe on the Neumora.

dgsdm

Reaction score
What do you guys think of the norwich? Thinking about getting them in brown. Was thinking about the neumora but im not liking the toe too much.

Also is the norwich the cheapest during the rediscovery sale? Or can I find them cheaper elsewhere if I wait?

mikeman

Reaction score
They're okay in my opinion. I prefer the double monk, though.

As for the price-- you may be able to get them for around 200 at an outlet. They will be seconds, but you probably wont even notice or find the "flaw".

Last edited:

SloopyNoob

Reaction score
How do you size between the 5 last and 7 last? My Strands have a little room in size 8.5 but would be snug at 8 so I'm thinking staying with an 8.5 for the 7 last. Does that make sense?

Thanks. I haven't tried the 7 last before so that's why I asked. Looks like it fits TTS then.

bucksfan

Reaction score
My name is Horsey Shoes and I have a problem as well...
drool.gif

I too am very impressed with AE and have been voting with my wallet.

My SA originally told me that the Fifth Street shell web gem was going to be black, burgundy, AND brown shell.
I was a bit surprised when I only saw the black and burgundy 5ths as the web gem since the SA was also provided other accurate "inside" info; i.e. Cronmoks as part of Rediscover, etc.
Possibly they are holding out for the Fall 2.0 launch?

not sure it's a "problem" but my wife probably thinks it is.

Interestingly, the supplemental catalog does not have the 5th streets in shell in it at all, but does have the Dundees in 3 different shell colors, and the Daltons in burgundy only. The Dunddes are actually pictured in the brown shell.

Any idea where I could find some AE Mora (brown / 9.5D)?
I know its an old style, but thought someone might know where to find some....Im not sure that I like the toe on the Neumora.
Your best bet would be an outlet, but I imagine a common size like that will be long gone. Maybe Ebay?

Does anyone know how the 7 last fits in comparison to the 5 last?

I take the same size in both. The 7 last is a little more snug than the 5 through the toes, due to the tapered toe, but it should fit. Give it a trial period on carpet before you wear them on pavement, that way if you need to return them you can.

I wonder if the shell is included
bounce2.gif
It was last year
cheers.gif

I also saw the Regent Street in Chili while I was there - that is a good looking shoe! If they had one in my size to try on that new 4 last, I may have been getting that too.

PK35216

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on the Amsterdams from UD yesterday. I hope it doesn't take the full 4-5 weeks to arrive!!

Also, a few weeks ago, I ordered #8 shell Park Avenues from Sherman Bros. with the 15% off deal, but they said they were back ordered for a significant period of time. They allowed me the option to cancel, but I said HELL NO!!

I'll post some pics when they arrive. Those Amsterdams are killer!

And since the conversation turned to brown shell Leeds, I thought I would post a terrible pic of my rare Cigar Shell Alden PTB's on the Aberdeen last, which is a specialty shoe specified by a local menswear store in my area (Birmingham).

Unfortunately, the second time I wore them, I got caught in a very brief light rain and it left permanent welts on both shoes. I contacted Alden and they said give them to the store to send back for refinishing, so we will see. I have several pairs of AE shell now (all acquired within the past several months, but I have not experienced such welting that did not go away by itself or with a little brushing. My second pair, black shell cambridges, got caught in a big storm on my second or third wear and not a problem.

Here are some pics of the welting from the rain, which I sent to Alden customer service. Neither time, copious brushing, nor Saphir Reno would correct. Plus, the welts are raised in several areas.

Curious to know others' experiences with rain and shell. It's like my shoes caught the chicken pox!

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I pulled the trigger on the Amsterdams from UD yesterday. I hope it doesn't take the full 4-5 weeks to arrive!!

Also, a few weeks ago, I ordered #8 shell Park Avenues from Sherman Bros. with the 15% off deal, but they said they were back ordered for a significant period of time. They allowed me the option to cancel, but I said HELL NO!!

I'll post some pics when they arrive. Those Amsterdams are killer!

And since the conversation turned to brown shell Leeds, I thought I would post a terrible pic of my rare Cigar Shell Alden PTB's on the Aberdeen last, which is a specialty shoe specified by a local menswear store in my area (Birmingham).

Unfortunately, the second time I wore them, I got caught in a very brief light rain and it left permanent welts on both shoes. I contacted Alden and they said give them to the store to send back for refinishing, so we will see. I have several pairs of AE shell now (all acquired within the past several months, but I have not experienced such welting that did not go away by itself or with a little brushing.  My second pair, black shell cambridges, got caught in a big storm on my second or third wear and not a problem.

Here are some pics of the welting from the rain, which I sent to Alden customer service.  Neither time, copious brushing, nor Saphir Reno would correct. Plus, the welts are raised in several areas.

Curious to know others' experiences with rain and shell.  It's like my shoes caught the chicken pox!

All shell, regardless of maker, should be treated with Alden Defender. It would have prevented your problem.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

not sure it's a "problem" but my wife probably thinks it is.  

Interestingly, the supplemental catalog does not have the 5th streets in shell in it at all, but does have the Dundees in 3 different shell colors, and the Daltons in burgundy only.  The Dunddes are actually pictured in the brown shell.  

Your best bet would be an outlet, but I imagine a common size like that will be long gone. Maybe Ebay?

I take the same size in both.  The 7 last is a little more snug than the 5 through the toes, due to the tapered toe, but it should fit.  Give it a trial period on carpet before you wear them on pavement, that way if you need to return them  you can.  

It was last year :cheers:

I also saw the Regent Street in Chili while I was there - that is a good looking shoe!  If they had one in my size to try on that new 4 last, I may have been getting that too.  

My experience is different. My 5 lasted shoes are 9D and fit well. My 7 lasted shoe is 9.5D and is snug, bordering on too small. A 7 lasted shoe in 9D, for me, is unbearable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads