• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Am I the only one who does not like the leeds? Its the quintessential blobby ugly plain blucher. In fact, i hate all PTBs.
yuck

I used to agree with you, and can certainly understand your opinion, but I think there's very much a place for a PTB for those who
  • like the simple, unadorned look of shell cordovan
  • tend to dress casual to business casual (particularly denim, chinos, corduroy, etc.)
  • like Americana (who does this better than AE or Alden?)
  • have wingtips, split toes, etc. in their collection, but sometimes want something more understated

Last edited:

jasonleb1

Reaction score
Just got it from an SA that the Mcallisters will be 15% off when the sale starts.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Am I the only one who does not like the leeds? Its the quintessential blobby ugly plain blucher. In fact, i hate all PTBs.
yuck

I see where you're coming from, I don't care for the current PTBs in the AE lineup. But the Seven Collection Vinci's are probably my favorite pair.

bucksfan

Reaction score
Ah, so this shows the brown shell Dundee. I was thinking this might be in my future; but now this discussion of PTBs has me thinking it might look too similar to my current shoes.

Here's another pic of it, from AE's website: (second from the left)

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the welting from the rain, which I sent to Alden customer service. Neither time, copious brushing, nor Saphir Reno would correct. Plus, the welts are raised in several areas.

Curious to know others' experiences with rain and shell. It's like my shoes caught the chicken pox!

Generally, I can brush those away with a brush gently dipped in a bowl of water. Or, use the back of a spoon with a cloth underneath and really massage them out, or your thumb - lots of pressure. I've never had any permanent spotting welts that couldn't be alleviated.

yuck

I abhor wing-tips for the contraposition: a busy, meretricious design.

Shell especially, is wasted on brouged wintips, as the soft rolls and character of shell are prominently celebrated with a simple PTB design.

Do you hate whole-cuts, too? Chukka's? Chelsea-boots? I suspect you have more issue with the bulky last-shape of American makes AE & Alden PTB's than the concept. The Leeds are rather "blobby", I admit, LOL. Still love mine.

These are pure sex:

All IMO of course :) Variety in opinion is what makes style so fun.

arkane

Reaction score
Strands $199
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And since the conversation turned to brown shell Leeds, I thought I would post a terrible pic of my rare Cigar Shell Alden PTB's on the Aberdeen last, which is a specialty shoe specified by a local menswear store in my area (Birmingham).

Unfortunately, the second time I wore them, I got caught in a very brief light rain and it left permanent welts on both shoes. I contacted Alden and they said give them to the store to send back for refinishing, so we will see. I have several pairs of AE shell now (all acquired within the past several months, but I have not experienced such welting that did not go away by itself or with a little brushing. My second pair, black shell cambridges, got caught in a big storm on my second or third wear and not a problem.

Here are some pics of the welting from the rain, which I sent to Alden customer service. Neither time, copious brushing, nor Saphir Reno would correct. Plus, the welts are raised in several areas.

Curious to know others' experiences with rain and shell. It's like my shoes caught the chicken pox!

That cigar shell looks great, I hope Alden can get the welts out for you. I've been lucky with my shell shoes and boots so far and have not had any water welts that didn't go away on thier own knock on wood. All of mine are AE.

All shell, regardless of maker, should be treated with Alden Defender. It would have prevented your problem.

Thanks looks like Defender just came out last year but everyone seems to swear by it that has tried it from what I can tell.

By the way, those webgem shell boots have me drooling.

Updated picture from the other day in natural and better lighting of my #8 Dundee's. Which got soaked in the rain the first time out.

Can anyone help me with the sizing difference between the 1 last and the 5 last?
I have the Dalton boot in an 8D and would like to pick up a pair of Fifth Avenue when the sale is on.
Thanks

All of my #1 and #5 last are the same size. And are the 2 lasts I have the most shoes in.

I do not agree (no surprise there, probably since I now own 4 pair of them in shell). Of course, I don't mind blobby, in fact I prefer it to long, squared or "soft squared" toes.

For those interested, here is the "supplemental 2012" AE catalog I was referencing.

And so do I. That supplemental catalog appears to be different and newer than the one I have. Thanks.

I abhor wing-tips for the contraposition: a busy, meretricious design.

Shell especially, is wasted on brouged wintips, as the soft rolls and character of shell are prominently celebrated with a simple PTB design.

Do you hate whole-cuts, too? Chukka's? Chelsea-boots? I suspect you have more issue with the bulky last-shape of American makes AE & Alden PTB's than the concept. The Leeds are rather "blobby", I admit, LOL. Still love mine.

These are pure sex:

All IMO of course :) Variety in opinion is what makes style so fun.

I do like wingtips and also perf cap toes. But everything else you said I agree with totally, well said. And yes those boots are HOT!

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Clifton? They are discontinued but still available as seconds. Thinking of picking one up in burgundy. Anyone have it in burgundy? I think it will go nice with slacks and a dress shirt.

Think I'll get a burgundy Clifton and black Park Avenue or Fifth Avenue from the shoe bank on Monday. Already have the Strands in walnut.

Last edited:

jch1

Reaction score
Any chance we'll see a Jefferson in shell cordovan at some point?

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wearing my Cliftons today for the first time in a long while. I'd forgotten how much I Iike these shoes. The fit is great for me, too

Anyone have experience with the Clifton? They are discontinued but still available as seconds. Thinking of picking one up in burgundy. Anyone have it in burgundy? I think it will go nice with slacks and a dress shirt.
Think I'll get a burgundy Clifton and black Park Avenue or Fifth Avenue from the shoe bank on Monday. Already have the Strands in walnut.

Cliftons get a lot of love here, including from me. See my post, quoted above. Great shoe on a great last. Get it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads