• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those dark brown wax infused McTavish's are beautiful

My new McTavish are in with the new Dark Brown Wax Infused leather (4045). Really liking them -- note that they are darker in real life than on the website.
Here are 2 pics:

That is a great looking shoe. My local menswear / shoe store has a pair coming for me - I'm hoping they arrive soon.
Thanks for the photos - it is so much better than the AE website photos.
Chris

I hadn't been a fan of these until I saw them in person. They look great. Congratulations.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of these brown suede Luccas after the sales person at my local stored ordered them in for me to try on. They are amazing. I encourage anyone looking for a causal loafer to give these a try, especially at the sales price. I thought the rubber sole might be too clunky, but it actually pretty sleek. They are super comfortable and look great with jeans.

I continue to be impressed with AE's Italian collection shoes. Impeccable craftsmanship. I've become a real convert.

Also comes in black suede and black calf.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF49605_1_40000000001_-1
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF49601_1_40000000001_-1
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF49609_1_40000000001_-1

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im getting a weird crease on the right heel of my PAs...Kind of annoyed because these were the best fitting shoes I tried on. Not terribly noticable because they are black but my left shoe doesn't do it at all. I will upload a pick tonight when I get home from work.

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who makes them?  I am trying to find them online on their website but i'm coming up with nothing...

I wouldnt look too hard...they look like they are made out of the same material as the main characters first glove that falls apart in "The Sandlot"

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I only have a pair of Stands in Walnut.

I don't think Delrays are to my taste. So still looking for something that meets my recommendations:

- I will be wearing with wool slacks and a shirt. No jacket.
- I was thinking about something in black as it will work with all color slacks: black, grey, navy. I don't wear brown pants. I don't like the look of brown shoes with grey or navy slacks and obviously they don't work with black pants.

Would black Strands fit my needs or how about black Fifth Avenues? Any others? Why do most people pick dark brown over black in Strands?

chrisjr

Reaction score

I'm not digging the 3 last much. I think the Rutledge is a beautiful shoe and was considering it...but I just can't get over that toe. I have the Bel-Air, so I don't mind a slightly squared-off toe. To me, the Neumora, Flatiron, and Rutledge are just a bit too much. I'll stick with the 5 and 8 last.

what does the bolded mean? are those models?

jjr4884

Reaction score
what does the bolded mean? are those models?

A last is the "shape" used to mold the form of the upper. Read here, this is a basic understanding. Different shoes have different lasts, so they will fit differently according to length and width. If you go do allenedmonds.com and click on "Shoes" at the top left, it will also give you the ability to see what shoes are made in each last. Click on "Shoes" and thats it, don't worry about the drop down box, then along the contents on the left, you will scroll down and see "last"... expand that and viola

Read more here

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/AllAboutLastsView?catalogId=40000000001&langId=-1&storeId=1

jjr4884

Reaction score
I don't think Delrays are to my taste. So still looking for something that meets my recommendations:
- I was thinking about something in black as it will work with all color slacks: black, grey, navy. I don't wear brown pants. I don't like the look of brown shoes with grey or navy slacks and obviously they don't work with black pants.
Would black Strands fit my needs or how about black Fifth Avenues? Any others? Why do most people pick dark brown over black in Strands?

Merlot McAllisters are beautiful, I love mine and I get compliments on them all day. They are just as versatile, if not more, than a black shoe.

As far as black, go with the Park Ave. It is plain, classic, and looks the best for their cap toes. The cap on the 5th Ave is way too short for my taste, as well as many others. Try them on and I'm sure you will agree... Strands in black, IMO, do the shoe absolutely no justice. Black shoes in general don't look that great in full brogue with a toe medallion... it reminds me of a shoe a priest wears... just not for me. When you have lighter colors like walnut, or rich looking colors such as the shell brown or #8, show those puppies off... but for black, keep it simple and sleek.

Also, I'll probably get hazed since this is the AE appreciation thread, but since I am not crazy about any plain black caps, I will probably go with a cheaper but sharper alternative.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/magnann...ualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=2318

Pics don't do the shoe any justice, but if you have a Nordstroms in the area, or anywhere that carries Magnanni for that matter, give them a try. I tried on this exact pair, and while I would prefer a leather sole (which they do carry) the $199 price is something that is hard to ignore. I tried them on... they are as soft as they come, and extremely light and comfortable...

Last edited:

f800gs

Reaction score
+1 on the brown Lucca. I was looking at them at full price but my size was not in stock. Just checked the web for the hell of it a couple of weeks ago in stock and $162.00 sweet. Like a lot of AE they look WAY better IRL.

reidrothchild

Reaction score

I have two pairs of black shoes--the Fifth Ave and a wingtip blucher. I hardly ever wear the FAs because a black balmoral just doesn't look right to me with anything other than a suit. Most days I wear a blazer or a sportcoat. I suspect that may be a reason some people don't like the black strands. Other reasons may be that black just doesn't show the character of leather very well (generally speaking) and/or that shoes with lots of brogueing (like the Strands) tend to look better in non-black colors. Just my opinions.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In my eyes, black does not go with navy either, to each his own.

BrizzleCizzle

Reaction score
I own the walnut strands and the black park aves. Black goes best, in my own opinion, with black - burgundy has so much more character to offer a grey, and a beautiful brown pairs so very well with navy. Black shoes with navy can seem, and don't take offense, amateurish, confused, and "i don't often dress up"/security blanket-like. Since black is the safe shoe for the most common (and most antagonized on SF) suit, the black suit, and then the grey suit, when you carry the black over into navy you stretch the boundaries of complimenting colors - BECAUSE - you are now mixing shades and colors. Just my two cents and attempt to persuade you against black for everything.

However, to respond more in tune to your desires, black strands are so crowded that you don't get a chance to show off the leather (as someone said earlier). Furthermore, with the quasi-dulness that AE tends to leave their black leather in, you start to obscure the detailing in the broad reflective sheen across the top. If you are destined to go black, consider going with a sample cap toe, or cap toe with only minor brogue work (i.e. only on the cap toe division itself, with not a lot of medallion work). It leaves the foot much less busy and supports a reflective base much better. In fact, a practice i adore and use is to shine the cap toe itself to a high shine to show off the shoe and shape; may I be so bold as to recommend that, too?

If you must get a black shoe for your black slacks, considering doing so on the buying and selling forums for a reduced price so that you can satisfy that quota whilst devoting other funds to shoes that would truly beautify your greys and navies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics