Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrizzleCizzle

BrizzleCizzle Senior member

I haven't checked them out in some time, and only on their online shop. It's downtown right? I may have to make a trip. I have a slew of attorney friends who rave about their offerings of slacks and their same day tailoring/delivery service. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Outside of Daniel's and Teena Hicks, any other good shoe shops you know of in the area?

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Given your above post, traditional rules of fashion would dictate you get a blucher and not a balmoral. If you wish to disregard said rules (and many do, some with reckless abandon), then get a black balmoral. The Strand is less formal than the FA and the FA is less formal (ever so slightly) than the PA. If limited to those 3, I would pick the Strand hands-down given the uses to which the shoe will be put. I still would vote for the Delray, or even the Clifton, before any of those 3 though. Just my 2 cents ....

3. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

WELL SAID!!! Someone promote this dude to "Senior Member" already....

4. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Thanks for the great help guys! Really very informative!

So this is what I have decided: if I go with black I will choose the Fifth Avenue or the Delray. I didn't think AE's pictures looked good of the Delray but this picture convinced me otherwise:

http://allenedmonds.ugc.bazaarvoice.com/7512-en_us/33600/photo.jpg

However, I am open with burgundy/merlot as well. What choices do I have with these colors? Seems like only a handful of AE shoes are available in these. The only two options I see are Mcallister or Hancock. Since I already have Strands in Walnut though I was thinking of getting something with less brogue and flair (ie. Fifth Avenue) yet still suitable with slacks and no jacket.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

5. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I picked up the black calf, I'm really liking them as well. Great loafer from AE, I'm a big fan of their Italian offerings as well.

6. BrizzleCizzle

BrizzleCizzle Senior member

That's very kind. Thank you.
    I have the Steen, it's a discontinued loafer from AE that is also a split toe. And while I cannot comment on if the Steen shares the same last as the Delray, I can say that I am normally not a fan of the split toe shoe, but the Steen is the one exception. If you're going black and split toe - AE is a very strong bet. Not only were they an excellent shape, they took a shine very well. They're sleek, and for my size shoe (8 US) they really helped elongate the look, something I have to be very cognizant of with my shorter feet. I would recommend that as soon as you purchase your shoe, you head over to The Hangar Project and pick up some Saphir Renovatur and Saphir MDO wax polish in neutral. Combine that with the tips from the "Official Shoe Care Thread" that's floating around and you will have some sexy, sleek, shiny shoes.

With regards to burgundy/merlot: my favorites are the #8 shell cordovan 684 loafers from Alden. I know, that's double the cost of most AE's, but I believe they set the bar for color, shape, and proportion. If you wanted, you could utilize eBay and buy/sell forums to see what's around, or if you stick with AE, here are some that I'd love to own:

Hancock (as you've mentioned):
    [​IMG]
    The Randolph (very similar to the Alden 686 loafer, a longer-topped brother of the 684):
    [​IMG]

The merlot park ave (with this deep of a color, a real simple toe may do well to really let that rich hue stand out):
    [​IMG]

And remember, once you get set on styles, you might do well to call the AE main stores and see if they have any of the factory seconds around, or if you can sweet talk them into some discounts if you purchase multiple pair. I'd be excited to be in your shoes right now (pun!).

7. brchin

brchin Member

hi all, just a general question...have the mcallisters ever been offered in burgundy/merlot cordovan?

8. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

similar to my previous question:

i'm a 10D on the 8 last (Clifton, Delray). what size for the Neumora?

9. facet

facet Senior member

I the PAs in merlot would be a good option in that colour; I wear them regularly and really like the look of them. They pretty much go well with anything I've worn.

10. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

The replies to this are pretty much are 100% in agreement with my view. But most are much better wordsmiths than I am! Very well done to all.

The Cambridge is identical to the Mcallister which I also own in walnut. Out of all the AE shoes I own I consider the shell Cambridge to be my flagship shoe. And yes it does go with pretty much everything except for the most formal of occasions.

[​IMG]

11. brchin

brchin Member

ah. so i guess these 'cordovan'mcallisters are too good to be true huh?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251132571953?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

i think i see microcreasing in the 1st picture, but it also looks too nice to only be calf. *shrug. with the original soles gone, it's kind of hard to tell.

12. Cedric

Cedric Senior member

i recently bought a pair of Neumoras in 12E
    and dont like the way they age and wear out.
    I will ebay it, here's the way they look when they're used up, mines are brand new, i am afraid of wearing them

[​IMG]

13. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I'm sorry, what?

Those shoes are used up? From the looks of the sole, they've been worn maybe 3 times.

14. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

15. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

+1

Maybe they are aging prematurely from the inside due to a bad reaction to the Alden shoe trees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.