• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been following this thread for months, and I don't think anyone has posted this. It looks like AE has introduced the ability to choose a different sole when purchasing on the website, for an extra $50. Right now it seems to be only available for the Park Ave.

Nice idea, but $50 extra? These guys are really pushing the pricing.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
You may still be able to find the Hale in black at places like the Nordstrom Rack... I was at the one in Dallas over the weekend and they had the Hale in both black and in chili... pricing was about $200.

Unfortunately the Nordstrom Rack in Dallas is the closest one to me...and I'm in Baton Rouge, 8 hours away.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
What is the natural edge dressing good for? I purchased it before I knew that Chili is the edge dressing color of choice for walnut Strands. I tried using it and all it did was make it a bit shinier. Didn't cover up any scuffs in the least.

jjr4884

Reaction score
What is the natural edge dressing good for? I purchased it before I knew that Chili is the edge dressing color of choice for walnut Strands. I tried using it and all it did was make it a bit shinier. Didn't cover up any scuffs in the least.

It works perfectly fine on any heel, however not as good as the designated colored ones such as the chili. I still like it. My Neumoks have much more of a natural finish rather than the brown color on my cordovan strands, so the natural edge dressing will work completely fine with that.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Natural edge dressing is what AE recommends for the walnut Strands. I had never heard of using the Chili dressing on Strands before the last few weeks. That said, I may give it a try to see how it works out since I'm not a huge fan of the natural edge dressing.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Natural edge dressing is what AE recommends for the walnut Strands.  I had never heard of using the Chili dressing on Strands before the last few weeks.  That said, I may give it a try to see how it works out since I'm not a huge fan of the natural edge dressing.

A few years ago I was told by the then-manager of the AE Shoebank to use chili edge dressing with my walnut calf AEs. It was his judgment that the natural edge dressing was basically pointless.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Natural edge dressing is what AE recommends for the walnut Strands. I had never heard of using the Chili dressing on Strands before the last few weeks. That said, I may give it a try to see how it works out since I'm not a huge fan of the natural edge dressing.
Well, if you have chips or nicks on the edge, they are going to look very light (like the leather on the bottom of the sole) compared to the rest of the edge. If you want to cover these up, Natural edge dressing won't do the job. If you don't have any nicks, then I suppose you can use natural, but I'm not sure what the point would be.

evolved

Reaction score

Everyone I've talked with at AE tells me to use chili dressing on my walnut strands.....

TRIALnERROR

Reaction score

DJTraveler

Reaction score
I purchased a pair of AE Park Ave's today and I have a question regarding polish. Is the premium polish (http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF549_1_40000000001_-1) better than the carnuba wax (http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF652_1_40000000001_-1)? The manager said that the premium polish is "new school" versus the carnuba wax. I admit I am a novice when it comes to shoe care so any further explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Per the AE website:

Based on color and individual preference, Allen Edmonds Shoe Cream, Shoe Polish or Carnauba Wax can be used to polish your calfskin leather shoes. Shoe Polish is best used for regular polishing and achieving a lustrous glow; Carnauba Wax is known for imparting a richer glow to fine leathers; our Allen Edmonds Shoe Cream, which is used for darker colors like Brown rather than Walnut, is formulated to renew the color of your calfskin shoes.

To help achieve your desired shine, remove any excess polish and wax by brushing shoes with a horsehair shine brush and then buffing to finish.

TRIALnERROR

Reaction score

Actually, this is directly from AE: "For the Strand in Walnut Calf, we recommend Allen Edmonds Chili Heel and Sole Edge Dressing. Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions.
Allen Edmonds Customer Service"

FYI, the edge dressing is being discontinued so you may want to stock up now.

jjr4884

Reaction score
any particular reason why they are being discontinued??? that seems a little silly, unless they really aren't selling many at all

Edit... seems like its the normal sizes... from the manager of the Newbury St. store, the travel size works better and will still last you a very long time, so as long as those are sticking around, we seem to be alright. Besides, the travel size ones are much easier to use IMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads