• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

scruffy

Reaction score
[ATTACHMENT=3636] (2,341k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

I received my Neumora's yesterday and after one days wear they have developed creases into the toe cap. Sizing wise, i'm a 10D in the Strand and origionally ordered the same that were too big so sized down to a 9.5D. The fit feels quite good and overall length and width of the shoe is on par with my other AE's.

Has anyone else experienced this with their Neumonks?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[ATTACHMENT=3636]

I received my Neumora's yesterday and after one days wear they have developed creases into the toe cap. Sizing wise, i'm a 10D in the Strand and origionally ordered the same that were too big so sized down to a 9.5D. The fit feels quite good and overall length and width of the shoe is on par with my other AE's.

It is not a manufacturers defect and you won't be able to return them. This is unnatural wear that occurs when the shoe is too long for the wearer. Very nice shoes though. Congratulations and welcome to Styleforum.

scruffy

Reaction score

It is not a manufacturers defect and you won't be able to return them. This is unnatural wear that occurs when the shoe is too long for the wearer. Very nice shoes though. Congratulations and welcome to Styleforum.

Thanks for the reply. I originally did think length might be an issue but when I 'jamb' my foor as far forward in the shoe as I can, I've only got a 1/4 inch room at the heel...

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is interesting scruffy. I wouldn't worry about it but I agree it is not attractive. If you feel the toebox with your fingers, you should be able to feel where the plastic insert ends. This will occur before the toe cap stitching. Perhaps AE had not forecasted this when designing the shoe? If they had made the cap stitching lay upon the end of the toebox insert, then the caps would appear as undestructable. You can try giving the caps a high shine to define them on the shoes. This will help asthetically. Make sure you are using shoe trees when the shoes are not in use.

Last edited:

horsey shoes

Reaction score

I picked up Neumoras on Monday as well. I am an 8E in Strand and 8.5D in Dalton. I sized down to the 8E and the length was about right, but it is definitely roomy in the width compared to the Strand, Cambridge, etc. Maybe should have looked at an 8D to get that snugger feel.

I did not get the toe box creases, but the shoe did crease up almost immediately; even with just the short try on at the store.
Not a big issue, but used to most AE leather feeling a bit more thick and sturdy from calf to calf shoe.

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PAs and strands back from the cobblers from rubber guards being put on...Put the PAs on in the office and the left fits perfect...right instep is a little tight. Hopefully loosen up a bit over the course of the day. Same thing happened with my macallisters.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Hi all,

On several pairs of shoes I own, I get an ugly billowing near my ankle, as seen below.

Is this simply the result of the shoe being too long for me? Unfortunately I seem to be between sizes - 8.5's in most manufacturers run very tight on me, particularly in the toe box, but are good in length. 9's are usually a touch long but the wider toe box makes them more comfortable. (I just tighten the laces firmly and the shoe won't feel too long for me).

If I press my toes downward in the front shoe it temporarily gets rid of the crease, but then springs right back.

long-shoe.jpg

Anything I can do to fix this? Should I go with 8.5's instead and try to stretch the shoes?

Last edited:

jjr4884

Reaction score
looks like the 5 last maybe isn't best fit for your foot... it is somewhat common that it happens a little bit, but that is pretty severed. How tight are your laces tied? My balmoral eyelit stays are basically touching, they fit perfect, and i don't have that problem at all... maybe go wider that way you can tie them tighter, but i'm not exactly sure if the would be the end all fix it solution for you.

Pastor

Reaction score

[ATTACHMENT=3636] (2,341k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

I have the Neumoras and mine did the same thing. I can't say i'm excited about the crease across the cap toe but i'll live with it. I love the double monk but think perhaps the crease is a design issue. My other AE's all have creased differently. As far as sizing on the double monks, I sized down .5 and mine are perhaps the best fitting shoe I have so I don't think it's a sizing issue.

DJTraveler

Reaction score
Does anyone have a pair of AE Easton's in 9D in saddle brown that they would be willing to part with? PM me if so. Thanks!

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
On several pairs of shoes I own, I get an ugly billowing near my ankle, as seen below.
Is this simply the result of the shoe being too long for me? Unfortunately I seem to be between sizes - 8.5's in most manufacturers run very tight on me, particularly in the toe box, but are good in length. 9's are usually a touch long but the wider toe box makes them more comfortable. (I just tighten the laces firmly and the shoe won't feel too long for me).
If I press my toes downward in the front shoe it temporarily gets rid of the crease, but then springs right back.
long-shoe.jpg

Anything I can do to fix this? Should I go with 8.5's instead and try to stretch the shoes?
That is called bowing and is a manufacturing defect, not a size issue. I would call that minor bowing, it can be a lot worse. It is common enough that most AE sales associates seemed to be trained to say it is a volume issue and sell you a superfeet insert to take up the extra volume. It may or may not help. I have been trying to get a pair of shell Bradley's since December that do not bow. The first pair both shoes had major bowing and QA admitted that it was a manufacturing defect and the shoes could not be repaired. The second pair only the right shoe had it, but bad enough that I returned them and QA once again said they were defective beyond repair. Maybe the third time will be a charm. I have 2 other shoes that are starting to exhibit bowing over time, and I always use and have used shoe trees. When the shoes are recrafted by AE they will tighten up the topline as much as they can but can only do so much.

zerostyle

Reaction score

That is called bowing and is a manufacturing defect, not a size issue. I would call that minor bowing, it can be a lot worse. It is common enough that most AE sales associates seemed to be trained to say it is a volume issue and sell you a superfeet insert to take up the extra volume. It may or may not help. I have been trying to get a pair of shell Bradley's since December that do not bow. The first pair both shoes had major bowing and QA admitted that it was a manufacturing defect and the shoes could not be repaired. The second pair only the right shoe had it, but bad enough that I returned them and QA once again said they were defective beyond repair. Maybe the third time will be a charm. I have 2 other shoes that are starting to exhibit bowing over time, and I always use and have used shoe trees. When the shoes are recrafted by AE they will tighten up the topline as much as they can but can only do so much.

Interesting. It barely happens on my right foot at all, which would support your theory. While standing/walking it's not a big deal because my pants cover it, but it's noticable while sitting down. Not sure if it's worth returning them or not, particularly since I've added vibram soles to them.

My pair of J&M shoes does this as well, but I don't remember if my Strands do. Will have to check when I get home.

gsm1

Reaction score
I find that this happens with most of my Allen Edmonds shoes including the Strand, Cambridge and Leeds, all shell cordovan models. The fit is fine and they are comfortable, but the throat of the shoe is sloppy. This has never happened with any of my Aldens, C&Js or Church's. I believe it has something to do with the way AE shoes are constructed, though I I don't know exactly what it could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads