Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. norite

norite Member

Hmmm, I'm still waiting on my Fifth Avenues to come in. But when I saw them in store, I absolutely loved them. I would much rather not spend that much right away on 4 pairs of shoes, but if I can't decide, I may have to just keep them all.

I've never considered boots haha. I can't really picture myself wearing a pair of boots to work, not that there's anything wrong with it. But generally, I don't like mid or high sneakers. I would assume that would be the same for dress shoes?

2. norite

norite Member

Thanks for this picture haha. I'm a new owner of AEs and I'm still in the process of figuring out what I need to buy to care for my shoes...and additionally, the steps to take to clean them. That Shoe Care thread is 170+ pages long....will take me a while to sift through them all.

3. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

Ah thanks...should I just let it stretch naturally with wear or is cobbler stretching always better?

4. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

All the McTavish talk inspired me to clean mine up yesterday:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  5. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Well, you can let them stretch naturally, but that is going to be a lot more painful for you.

6. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I vote Mccallister or Cambridge.

One of my favorites. If you are in the market, jump on them.

Impressive. That's my take.

7. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Exactly. My McTavish came in last night and the Elgin from the shoebank a couple of days ago. My Elgin are pretty much perfect and have less burnishing and distressed leather than my McTavish firsts. Once broken in the McTavish will get Raptor half soles for winter, crappy weather, and jeans. The Elgin I will use for business casual in better weather.

I have used nothing but AE leather lotion and Bickmore Bick 4 (same thing) on my brown Wilbert's for around 4 years. The stitching is still white and the leather burnished from wear but in excellent shape:

[​IMG]

For saddle soap I have always used nothing but fiebings glycerin saddle soap bar soap for years on my leather hunting boots. For those I use a knuckle scrub brush but for the AE shoes use a soft sponge. Not quite AE but 3 out of 4 of the boots in this picture I posted on a hunting site several years ago are made in Wisconsin too LOL. It was a thread someone had started asking how to make leather boots as waterproof as rubber boots and still last for a long time. The custom made Russell Moccasin Grand Slam Sheep Hunters cost me as much or a bit more than any of my shell shoes that I own. Instead of the HDLP shown here use AE leather lotion or Bick 4 and those shoes will stay in good shape. Although will not be waterproof and just very slightly water resistant. I do use HDLP on my Black Hills after cleaning with Fiebings saddle soap because I wanted a waterproof casual shoe with rubber soles.

[​IMG]

8. Cedric

Cedric Senior member

Selling a pair of 12D AE Players shoe

brand new
    [​IMG]

9. PunkinDonuts

PunkinDonuts Member

I picked up this exact set! I got the McTavishes at Nordstrom last week, and went back for the Strands today. I ended up getting the Strands 1/2 size smaller than the McTavish. They are touch snug width-wise, but the SA said they'd give a bit.

10. seer

seer Senior member

very nice...

11. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

Tapped Out! Today I purchased my 4th pair of AE's in the last 6 weeks. Shoe budget is done for the year, though I still have a couple of older pairs that need to be re-crafted.

Started with the Burgundy Burnished Cliftons I picked up at the Nordstrom semi-annual mens sale last month. Beautiful!

Moved on to Dark Brown Burnished Strands. May be the perfect shoe for me. Absolutely killer shoes. Highly recommended.

Picked up another pair of Black Park Avenues courtesy of the Nordstrom Anniversary sale last week.

Today I went back and got the Walnut Strands. I think I would have preferred Mcallister's in the same color just to break things up, the Anniversary sale price for the Strand was too good to pass up. I may not wear these that often, but they complement my shoe collection nicely.

Regarding the Walnut Strands, anybody apply dark brown cream or polish to darken the shoes up a bit? Results? Mine feel too light straight out of the box.

12. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Since you already have the strands in brown, I recommend keeping your walnut ones on the lighter side. However, if you want to darken them slightly, supposedly the walnut polish will do just that.

13. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I generally prefer a darker brown to a lighter brown/walnut; however, having said that, the walnut strand may be AE's best looking shoe. I have them, and while I find myself not wearing them too terribly often, I certainly don't regret buying them.

14. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

thanks everyone for the advice on the McTavish Care :)
    @ PK35216 - I had no idea that was in the catalog lol. I've had one sitting on my coffee table this whole time.

nice job :) did you use the recommended saddle soap / leather lotion?

congrats!

15. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Thanks. I used saddle soap to clean, then Kiwi tan polish wax.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.