Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakingChanges

MakingChanges Well-Known Member

I ordered the McClain today that's on clearance. I have the McAllister in walnut. I really like the style of the McCallister, but wanted something a little different and these were on clearance. I'll post my feedback when they arrive.

2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Speaking about the 8 last, I'm quite pleased with the Parklands. Very comfortable, and as sleek as my Seven Collection AEs. I'm going to have to look at more 8 last shoes.

3. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

That's a steal!

4. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Did you stay TTS on those? No problems with slipping?

5. helius0

helius0 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the Park Avenues ever came with a rubber sole? The pair I'm looking at is old enough to have a five digit model number.

6. RefleX

RefleX Well-Known Member

Just got my first pair of AE's last weekend. I really like them still in the break in period though. [​IMG]

7. JubeiSpiegel

Welcome to the club, and enjoy...

8. RossPirelli

RossPirelli Member

Congrats.

9. JubeiSpiegel

TTS for me, there was a slight hint of slippage the first 2 times I wore them. Now they lock pretty well when I walk. I'm glad I gave this model a try after the other AE penny loafer styles failed to fit me.

10. Joker Man

Joker Man Senior member

Well I guess that's one boy's opinion.[​IMG]

11. Breedlove

Breedlove Senior member

After a month of owning my Cordovan Strands, I'm more than happy with them.
    BUT
    I still haven't gotten over my infatuation with the Burgundy Cordovan MacNeil... [​IMG]

12. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

But keep in mind that saddle soap is a cleaner and can strip moisture from leather. AE's seasonal catalogs list their shoe care products in the back of the catalog and then list all types of leathers in their lineup and the recommended polish or other care products. For the waxy leathers like the McTavishes and Elgins, the catalog states that AE Leather Lotion should be used to condition the shoe (not to be confused with Cleaner/Conditioner). You can use saddle soap to clean, but you wouldn't use it to condition.

I ordered the Leather Lotion and used it on some black McTavishes I purchased off ebay that had some substantial wear and looked less than spectacular. I applied the Leather Lotion just like I apply my Cleaner/Conditioner, with a horsehair brush, so that I can (theoretically) work the lotion into the pores and spread it around. In both cases, I generally let it sit 24 hours to soak in. I come back the next day with the same horsehair brush and give a vigorous brushing to remove any excess. Then I can move on to polishing calf or cordovan shoes.

In the final analysis, using the AE Leather Lotion on my black McTavishes and tan McTavishes (bought the tan ones new and had worn them probably six times) did a very good job in restoring the waxy leather while also conditioning and likely protecting them. The black McTavishes looked new again, and the tan ones didn't darken noticeably (though it would have been fine with me if they had), and looked great. Pic of tan ones below:

[​IMG]

I write this to point out that AE's website does not contain the same level of information as contained in the catalog book I picked up at my outlet store.

Here is pic of the cover, and a pic of the instruction page I am referencing, followed by a pic of my vintage ebay-pickup chili Berkley wholecuts with toe medallion. I used my Saphir neutral cream polish for the first time tonight on these vintage shoes that AE fully recrated for me as soon as I got em for about $35 off ebay. (Total investment $135.) Love the shoes. I've had them a good while and they are extremely comfortable. The best part is that I found them in my exact size, 9.5C.

Catalog cover:

[​IMG]

Catalog's shoe care instruction guide:

[​IMG]

Vintage Berkleys in Chili:

[​IMG]

13. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

True. But don't polish the waxy leathers.

14. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

Can my AE's be stretched out at this point by a cobbler or is it too far "up?" My left shoe fits perfect but my right shoe has the big toe in contact with where my finger is pointing:

[​IMG]

15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Stretching that area should not be a problem provided the cobbler has the right tools.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.